Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help identify this free curbside road bike!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 01:51 PM
DesertFolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, new member here. A little while ago I was driving past a neighbor's house who was finishing up a yard sale. They had three different bikes on the curb for trash since they didn't sell, and let me take one. The other two seemed to be walmart grade but I recognized good componentry and picked this one.
No identifiers on the frame besides the Cinelli-stamped BB and a stylized "S" on the rear brake holder. Pretty sure it was re-painted at some point due to runs in the paint and no decals. It's also too tall for me (5'10") unless I drop the seat to it's current position.

Below is a component list but I will post pics when I am allowed. I appreciate any help provided. I've ridden a few times and it rides pretty fantastically. The components are smooth like butter. I'd like to restore it but how deep I go will depend on what it is and what it's worth.
i'm not super familiar with all the technical terms so I may mislabel some components. I can take more pictures if needed.

Stella Italia seat,
Laprade fluted seat post
Specialized quill
originally had a Scott aero bar
Ago Diacompe brake levers
Shimano HP 7400 BCI stem
Suntour Superbe clinchers
Mavic wheels were bent, replaced with similar Mavic wheels.
Suntour shifters
Shimano 600 rear derailleur
Campagnolo adjustable dropouts
Specialized 2 speed drive sprockets
Suntour Superbe front derailleur
Specialized pegs missing straps

Swapped in the Cinelli Giro D'Italia from the Scott aero bar

The wheels are not original. I still have the original Mavics. I replaced them with a much better condition set of mismatched Mavics I got for cheap. The front is identical to the original.

I have plenty of pics to post when I'm allowed. In the meantime I can describe things and will try to post elsewhere, but to be honest this is the main reason I'm here.
Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-10-20, 02:28 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Sounds interesting,pics will tell the story
Old 02-10-20, 02:51 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, components won't tell you anything definitive. When you can post pics, be sure to post detailed pics of the lugs and dropouts, as well as the fork crown (top of the fork blades). Spend a little time in the other forums commenting and saying hello and your post count will go up quickly, and you'll start to establish yourself in the community.
Old 02-10-20, 04:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Pic assist (selected):

"S" logo on brake bridge suggests Serotta. Stem is a Specialized-branded Nitto Technomic. Original handlebar is one of those Scott Tri-bars (full bar, not a "clip on").

Parts are a hodgepodge, Superbe brakes, 600 RD, brake levers would be AGC - Aero Gran Compe (companion to Superbe calipers), Dura Ace headset. All nice stuff, so an excellent save in any event.

Can someone ID the freewheel/cassette from that last photo? Locknut that I don't recognize. Appears to be 7-speed as well, which seems to post-date the rest of the build.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-10-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-10-20, 08:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would agree it's likely a Serrota built Specialized from 1984 or so original paint has been fully stripped and repainted likely to deal with rust issues and appears to be a fail. With the rust and failed repaint most of the Serrota Specialezed value is lost. As presented I would say i's really only worth $250 as a really nice beater. For a Serrotta built racer from the 80's the original paint and full race decals in great shape are most of the value to a collector fanatic bike collector, With none original paint and so-so none orignal downgrade parts nearly all the value is gone,

Last edited by zukahn1; 02-10-20 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 07:38 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
That's definitely the Serotta "S", but I disagree the rust is that bad, and would the portacatena dropouts put this a year or two earlier, or was Serotta still using portacatena on builds into the mid-90s?

I'd keep it. Fully scrape/remediate then treat the rust on the bottom, self-etch prime it, and if it doesn't fit, resell it to someone while offering up full disclosure. I suspect you could pretty easily net a good $100-150 on the frameset and probably another $60 on the wheels, minimum.

Last edited by francophile; 02-22-20 at 01:45 PM.
Likes For francophile:
Old 02-17-20, 11:29 PM
howie2wheels

Bikes: Specialized Epic Competition, Specialized Sequoia, Rocky Mountain Sherpa Touring, Rocky Mountain Fusion, Raleigh Challenger, Raleigh Cetury, Raleigh Rocky II.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would love to get a bike like that for free. I would strip and repaint the frame and otherwise refurbish it and ride it if it was my size. It might never be highly collectible, but I would be proud to ride it. I think that is where the value is for a bike like this.
Old 02-20-20, 04:38 PM
NHmtb

Bikes: '01 Klein Quantum, '91 GT Zaskar, '70s Di Lorenzo, '74 Gitane Champion du Monde, '50s Steyr Klunker, Cannondale Singlespeed

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Nice bike. as long as it fits well it would be worth keeping. make sure you can remove that BB
Old 02-22-20, 08:55 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Great find !!!

Thank you for saving it !

Like above have said, I would keep it and ride it
Old 02-22-20, 09:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would agree even in rough shape great find worth saving and riding. You don't often see Team level race bikes dumped on the curb there is a very good chance this bike started as actual pro race bike.
Old 02-22-20, 10:51 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would agree it's likely a Serrota built Specialized from 1984 or so original paint has been fully stripped and repainted likely to deal with rust issues and appears to be a fail. With the rust and failed repaint most of the Serrota Specialezed value is lost. As presented I would say i's really only worth $250 as a really nice beater. For a Serrotta built racer from the 80's the original paint and full race decals in great shape are most of the value to a collector fanatic bike collector, With none original paint and so-so none orignal downgrade parts nearly all the value is gone,
From what I see hardly a fail. Either do some crust clean-up and prevention on it yourself, then keep it or resell it, with disclosure about potential rust issues, or sell it as is, probably will be bought by someone who will want to restore it.

What I would do if I found it... Take the wheels off (thus making the bike easier to maneuver), and hold the chain with a rag so it doesn't rattle. Then turn the bike upside down, say "To the honor of Ben, please let all be silent" cross your fingers and shake the bike, as hard as you can. If you hear noise inside the tubes, that's generally a sign of internal rusting, with some loose flakes pinging around in the tubes... Not the end of the world, just more information. No sounds, good news, usually. Good eye, that's a nice find. Your neighbor does not know much about bikes... Or maybe the interwebs, or both.

Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 02-22-20 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 12:50 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Ben..... Lawee? (shrug)