Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame painting and cantilever brakes question

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 02-13-20, 04:57 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

So as I inch forward toward finishing my frame I have a question. The brake rings & the posts are stainless steel. Would you leave these "raw/unfinished"?
Thanks!
Old 02-13-20, 05:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
it would need some paint feature at the stay. I think most people have them painted
Old 02-13-20, 05:23 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
The reason to paint them is because there is no definitive line (like a lug shoreline) where the paint stops and the boss begins. It is very difficult to make the transition look clean and not just an ugly jagged edge. And the bottom of the boss is not a stressed area where paint is likely to chip.
Old 02-13-20, 06:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
how do those paragon bosses do with paint on them though? The spring plate fits pretty tightly into the part that attaches to the frame. Or is this a Paul brake setup?

What I was thinking when I said "paint feature" was like where the paint ends on chromed stays. They usually put tape over those transitions because otherwise it doesn't look that great