Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1966 Schwinn Sting Ray Deluxe 3 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 07:34 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
1966 Schwinn Sting Ray Deluxe 3 Speed

A friend of mine knows that I like old bikes and asked if I could help him figure out a fair value on this bike and then help him sell it. He bought it from a guy and has no knowledge of its previous life. Here are some pics. I can get additional whatever. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-18-20, 12:13 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Nice bike, I owned one back then.
this bike is to be polite, a kluge in my book.
wrong blue. Mine had caliper brakes front and rear. This frame is designed for the rear caliper brake.
the deluxe bikes got the fenders, not sure about the chrome/painted chainguard in 1966. In 1964 with the bar shift trigger, yes.
pedals are I think wrong too. Those showed up on the karates and manta-rays.
the standard vinyl for these was white with silver glitter as I recall, I was SO against that, I had a different color fitted.
front tire should be a Westwind, rear a Schwinn slick, “silk” on the Deluxe as I recall.
headbadge should have a white background with black Schwinn, silver rim.
I cannot tell but the bars may or may not be correct, they changed the shape later and these may be the later, not clear.
need to check the serial number too... KB.... I lost my old files, but that just does not seem correct, but I may be wrong. ( I referenced it, KB is a 1966 serial, mine started HB. The first letter is the month.

I would consider this a good bike for a young lad who is not into BMX, and who’s father or grandparent wanted him to share the experiences of their youth.
$200-300 max

Last edited by repechage; 02-18-20 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-18-20, 08:27 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thank you repechage. I thought it was a repaint as well, but do not have enough knowledge. I will pass this on.