Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Outer Banks

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Outer Banks

Old 02-22-20, 03:00 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Outer Banks

Anyone here been over the new bridge to Hatteras Island? I’m thinking of riding to Rodanthe in the morning and am curious what to expect riding over the new bridge. I’ve been as far as the light house so I have an idea what route 12 is like, I’ve just never been over the new bridge.

While drivers are mostly courteous on Route 12 in Kitty Hawk, KDH and Nags Head, once you hit the National Park heading south, they become aggressive and I get a lot of close passes. I really am hoping the new bridge has a decent shoulder or cycling lane.
Old 02-22-20, 07:06 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Plan on doing this in the spring. Let me know how it goes.
Old 02-24-20, 02:21 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
bampilot06 I made it over the new bridge to Hatteras Island on Sunday morning and wanted to let you know that the bridge does have good clearance for cycling. I there was a lot of debris (rocks, rusted bolts, even a dead rabbit) in parts of the bridge. On the down sides, I opted for the lane to avoid hitting the debris. Living in the flat lands most of my adult life, coming down off of that bridge was a treat, I'm sure it was the fastest I have ever been on bicycle. They were doing repaving on the Island and there was a lot of sand on the roadway as well but that should be good by the time you make your ride in the spring. I'm sure the sand drifts on the road were from the storm that came through last Thursday/Friday.

Likes For Just Mark:
Old 02-24-20, 04:57 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Thanks for the update!!!! I’m glad it went well for ya.