Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike travel bag - Thule RoundTrip Pro XT vs Evoc Pro

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 04:49 PM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good bike travel bag for my road bike. I've kind of narrowed down my preferences to two brands:

Thule RoundTrip
https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-acc...ro-xt-_-100505

and

Evoc Pro
https://www.evocsports.com/products/...travel-bag-pro

I've looked at both of them in bike shops. The Thule integrated stand looks and feels more sturdy in construction. But I don't like the fact that the bike is not held by the fork and dropouts. Only the fork is locked in, and in the back there is a foam block that is used to secure the bottom bracket. The rear dropout is hanging in the air, and I'd think it would be prone to damage, and I would need to put a spacer skewer or something like that.

The Evoc stand looks really skinny an flimsy, the aluminum rods are really thin-walled, and there is a lot of plastic. But I really like the fact that the bike is held securely at the front fork and rear dropout. But the stand itself is not secured to the bottom base of the bag. Only the bike itself is secured through straps.

The Thule has these semi-hard sheets of plastic that go on either side, which probably give it some sturdiness. The Evoc has some protection in the wheel cases, but not all along the sides.

I wish Thule made a stand that could hold the bike at the front and rear dropouts, at the same time maintaining the sturdy aluminum construction.

Do any of you have experience with either of these bags? Would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-20, 04:29 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Neither. Look at the Airport Ninja from Orucase.

J.
Old 02-24-20, 09:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I had looked at these at one point:Scicon At one point the 2.0 models were half-price but I didn't buy it because they were sold out by the time I decided. I see that the website says 40% off, so maybe it is a good buy again.