Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 09:11 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
As long as people use Ebay's current and completed items as the market value, seller like that idiot will continue to inflate the market.

-D-
using the completed listings isn't so bad.. and supposedly that bbc guy rarely sells his bikes
Old 01-16-13, 10:18 PM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I agree frantik... it's a fair indicator of what the market will support. However, it fuels those dreamers that are looking for a big payday! I can't believe how many ads on Craigslist I see that link to the most expensive listing on Ebay. I'm not talking about NOS, there will always be a collector tier that'll pay those insane amounts; I'm talking about used stuff that should be priced low at best. As far as that BBC fool, he must have a ton of storage space, he sure doesn't move much product!

-D-
Old 01-17-13, 12:55 PM
taJai

Bikes: 1993 Giant ATX 770, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2009 Trek 2.1, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine he sells ANYTHING at those prices, but what do I know. He's got some cool bikes, that's for sure.

Speaking of not knowing anything, can anyone who has used a threaded to threadless adapter speak on their strength and reliability? I'm trying to use some 26mm clamp Cinelli ergo bars because I have them, and finding a quill stem with a 1 1/8 diameter quill that also has a 26mm clamp is becoming difficult. I've never performed such a conversion (DB MTN bike) or even built up a bike before, so I'm thinking that going with a threadless stem might make dialing in the fit a bit easier. I wonder how this setup will hold up to abuse on crap roads and not so smooth single track. I realize my setup involving the proposed bars are not ideal or at all proper for drop bar off road usage, but I picture myself making occasional off road jaunts to try to get a feel if a DB MTN bike is really for me. If I love it, then maybe I'll get some proper flared drops and a dirt drop stem in an easier to find 25.4 clamp. Part of me just wants to go that route from the get go but I'm worried about the fit issue and how much trial and error will be involved.

I've resigned myself to the fact that my parts/tool bin is virtually non existent and my budget will creep up, but it can't get out of hand. Thoughts?
Old 01-17-13, 01:09 PM
Anonomous

Bikes: Two wheelers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
that guy is notorious on here for selling massively overpriced bikes. His listings often make naive seller believe they have a very valuable bike

My grandfather is an auctioneer. His saying applies. "boy its only worth what you can get for it"

I do think I am going to toy around with this thing. It looks like a fun machine to play on.
Old 01-17-13, 01:18 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by taJai
can anyone who has used a threaded to threadless adapter speak on their strength and reliability?
I have a Nitto adapter on my tandem and it holds just fine. It does mean you have two joints to tighten down instead of just one, but I haven't experienced any problem. I'm planning on using an adapter on nother frame I am going to build up, since it will be much easier when/if I have to play musical stems to get the right reach.
Old 01-17-13, 01:29 PM
taJai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I have a Nitto adapter on my tandem and it holds just fine. It does mean you have two joints to tighten down instead of just one, but I haven't experienced any problem. I'm planning on using an adapter on nother frame I am going to build up, since it will be much easier when/if I have to play musical stems to get the right reach.
That's good to hear. I have a feeling I'll be playing that game too.
Old 01-17-13, 01:55 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
using the completed listings isn't so bad.. and supposedly that bbc guy rarely sells his bikes
I don't know how many sellers I have reminded to look at successful, completed auctions, and not pie in the sky high asking prices. Even the local Salvation Army got sucked in. Manager looked at auctions, but didn't understand to look at COMPLETED AUCTIONS, where the item actually sold.

The second problem I reming locals if you want ebay prices, just go ahead and sell on ebay. But you will pay all of ebay's fees, you have to be willing and able to ship, and you need perfect/stellar feedback as a seller. 99% of the C/L sellers that tell me they will just sell it on ebay for more have never sold a single item on ebay.....
Old 01-17-13, 05:28 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm trying to use some 26mm clamp Cinelli ergo bars because I have them, and finding a quill stem with a 1 1/8 diameter quill that also has a 26mm clamp is becoming difficult. I've never performed such a conversion (DB MTN bike) or even built up a bike before, so I'm thinking that going with a threadless stem might make dialing in the fit a bit easier.

I wonder how this setup will hold up to abuse on crap roads and not so smooth single track. I realize my setup involving the proposed bars are not ideal or at all proper for drop bar off road usage, but I picture myself making occasional off road jaunts to try to get a feel if a DB MTN bike is really for me.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I can`t vouch for the strength (good thing Yo Spiff took care of that), but it will make dialing in the stem a lot easier. AND avoids that sticky issue of getting from a 1 inch threaded steerer to a 26mm bar- very similar to the approach I`m taking for the same reasons.

What`s a Cinelli ergo bar look like? I have a Ritchey Biomax on one bike, Salsa Short and Shallow going onto a new build (previously used on my tandem), generic "ergo" bars on a Bike Friday fat wheeled folder, and used to have a Salsa Poco on another bike, all pretty similar: "compact", "ergo", or "cyclocross" bars, depending on who does the labeling. Single track is rare for me these days, but I get in plenty of dirt roads and have no trouble with any of those bars.
Old 01-17-13, 05:32 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

anyone ever flipped a drop bar mtb? how was the interest?
Old 01-17-13, 06:05 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
anyone ever flipped a drop bar mtb? how was the interest?
I was curious about that myself. I would expect it to be looked at as weird and less desirable by a lot of people. But it's not the sort of thing any of us do for its resale value.

On the other hand, many of the people I ride with have made very positive comments about my conversion, and several are considering doing one of their own.
Old 01-17-13, 06:37 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

i have a bunch of newish take off parts from my 2010 single speed that i just started putting on my '89 Apex.. i was planning on selling the parts individually and building up the Apex as a mtb, but i was thinking maybe a single speed drop bar conversion with newish parts might attract a different audience than the typical vintage mtb. it could appeal to the fixie/ss, cyclocross, hybrid, and vintage mtb markets.

I originally bought the 89 Apex to do a drop bar conversion so i think i might as well try it out since i have all the parts on hand (except a 1/8 FGSS chain )
Old 01-17-13, 06:42 PM
neo_pop_71

I can't imagine he sells ANYTHING at those prices, but what do I know. He's got some cool bikes, that's for sure.

Speaking of not knowing anything, can anyone who has used a threaded to threadless adapter speak on their strength and reliability? I'm trying to use some 26mm clamp Cinelli ergo bars because I have them, and finding a quill stem with a 1 1/8 diameter quill that also has a 26mm clamp is becoming difficult. I've never performed such a conversion (DB MTN bike) or even built up a bike before, so I'm thinking that going with a threadless stem might make dialing in the fit a bit easier. I wonder how this setup will hold up to abuse on crap roads and not so smooth single track. I realize my setup involving the proposed bars are not ideal or at all proper for drop bar off road usage, but I picture myself making occasional off road jaunts to try to get a feel if a DB MTN bike is really for me. If I love it, then maybe I'll get some proper flared drops and a dirt drop stem in an easier to find 25.4 clamp. Part of me just wants to go that route from the get go but I'm worried about the fit issue and how much trial and error will be involved.

I've resigned myself to the fact that my parts/tool bin is virtually non existent and my budget will creep up, but it can't get out of hand. Thoughts?
Hello taJai,

Yo Spiff is spot on correct, I've used one for years on my '89 Schwinn 974 with a Cinelli Alter 1" threadless stem and I've never had a single issue. I too use the Nitto, if strength and reliability is your concern, you can't do better than the Nitto adapter. The heavily refined finished product and tolerances are much better than any of the lesser priced adapters that I've bought. Your other option is to find an older Salsa quill road stem, I run one on my Smorgadbord track bike and I have Cinelli Tempo bullhorns that are 26.0... either way you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

-D-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SmorSalsaSS.jpg (80.1 KB, 988 views)
SmorSSbars.jpg (87.7 KB, 979 views)
MethPeopleNewKicks.jpg (97.9 KB, 989 views)
Old 01-17-13, 07:09 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 2,999 Times in 989 Posts
I'm working up a Ross Mt. Ranier that I've had since it was new. I used to bounce around the trails on it and for a while I used it when I co-lead tours in Vermont, but for the last many years it's mostly hung from the ceiling so I figured it was time to dust it off and play around. I got a lot of inspiration from this.

I scored a set of NOS Simplex barcons and found a set of Raleigh USA engraved bars/stem in the bin at my LBS, and a new centerpull cable hanger. In another thread I documented my discovery and resolution of finding out that the original Ross stem was a .833 diameter (and boat anchor, weightwise), and the Raleigh stem didn't fit. Once I found one in yet another bin, I was ready to go.

Cabled it up and spun around the 'hood today and I'm glad to say that everything works perfectly! Now I'll take everything apart, clean up from stem to stern and reassemble.

Front view:

Sorry about the crazy basement floor...Suntour/Cunningham brakes are working fine with the road levers. The front derailleur cable is a bit lower than the rear because the down tube braze-on is a bit lower on the tube than the rear. I'll fuss with getting the cables even on the final build. You can see my battered old Super Record pedals...I still have the bear claws that came with the Ross but I preferred to use my old road pedals and cleats.

Cockpit view:

Side:

After cleanup and tuning I'll pick tires - I'm leaning towards 1-1/2" tanwall Paselas - and decide if I want fenders. I really liked the color scheme of Brendan's bike, but for now I'm thinking that when I'm done I'll embrace the early 90's proto-bling and wrap the bars in bright blue.
Attached Images
front.jpg (72.3 KB, 1601 views)
top.jpg (53.5 KB, 1596 views)
side.jpg (55.4 KB, 1599 views)
Old 01-17-13, 07:56 PM
neo_pop_71

Hi ascherer,

Yep, that Mt. Rainier will be a winner once it's finished up, nice start!

Two things I love...

roller cam brakes...

and the cyclofiend site (no offense Bike Forum members) because it only deals with single speeds, cyclocross, classics, and working bikes. Much smaller scale than this board but the galleries are full of interesting beautiful bikes, just like here but specialized. It's worth a peek if you're unfamiliar.

I look forward to seeing this bike completed!

Cheers,

-D-
Old 01-18-13, 08:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Off to a great start on that Ross!

Been thinking about 1.5 inch gum walls myself. I think that finishes off the vintage look.
Old 01-18-13, 09:08 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 2,999 Times in 989 Posts
Thanks, neo_pop and wrk. I pulled the trigger on these last night. Can't beat the price!
Old 01-18-13, 09:48 AM
taJai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
What`s a Cinelli ergo bar look like? I have a Ritchey Biomax on one bike, Salsa Short and Shallow going onto a new build (previously used on my tandem), generic "ergo" bars on a Bike Friday fat wheeled folder, and used to have a Salsa Poco on another bike, all pretty similar: "compact", "ergo", or "cyclocross" bars, depending on who does the labeling. Single track is rare for me these days, but I get in plenty of dirt roads and have no trouble with any of those bars.
They look a lot like these:

https://vintagenosbicycleparts.com/sh...lebar-nos.html

$80?! Maybe I should sell them!

Hello taJai,

Yo Spiff is spot on correct, I've used one for years on my '89 Schwinn 974 with a Cinelli Alter 1" threadless stem and I've never had a single issue. I too use the Nitto, if strength and reliability is your concern, you can't do better than the Nitto adapter. The heavily refined finished product and tolerances are much better than any of the lesser priced adapters that I've bought. Your other option is to find an older Salsa quill road stem, I run one on my Smorgadbord track bike and I have Cinelli Tempo bullhorns that are 26.0... either way you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

-D-

I found a Nitto adaptor on Harris Cyclery's website. It's quite a bit pricier than the Origin 8 one I have sitting in my cart on Amazon but I'm sure it's a bit better. I'm hesitating to pull the trigger. I guess I just need to figure out what the nature of the build is and what I'll use it for. I don't have a "trail bike" or anything that can go off road and I can't afford a mountain bike right now. I don't know if it's reasonable to think that I can take a 20 year old rigid bike out on the super rough, root and rock strewn trails we have in the area, then take the same bike and throw some racks, fenders and slicks on it and ride 50+ miles on the road in comfort. I don't know if I can make this bike do both.

I think I'm going to try. Sorry for so much uncertainty and babbling. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nice bike ascherer!
Old 01-18-13, 12:02 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
After having ridden a hardtail on the root abundant trails we have here in SW Louisiana, I wouldn't even begin to attempt it on a rigid bike ESPECIALLY not with drop bars, unless they were 44cm or wider. If it was a nice/smooth/fast flowing trail maybe, but roots? No way.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-18-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 12:07 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very cool, Ascherer- thumbs up! I didn`t know Simplex had made bar end shifters. From the bit of them that show up in your pics, they look like Suntours to me. They`re friction only, I assume?
OT: Did Simplex ever mess with indexing at all?

They look a lot like these:

I don't know if it's reasonable to think that I can take a 20 year old rigid bike out on the super rough, root and rock strewn trails we have in the area, then take the same bike and throw some racks, fenders and slicks on it and ride 50+ miles on the road in comfort. I don't know if I can make this bike do both.
They look pretty much like all my bars. They`ll be fine for dirt roads and your 50+ miles of pavement, probably not good for roots and rocks where you`ll be lifting the front a lot and making very tight maneuvers. As for the frame, I don`t see why it wouldn`t be able to handle most any trail as long as you`re willing to put up with the beating to your body. If you want to "play rough", maybe some dirt style super-flared drops?

Whoa, that Cinelli stem is wild! Not my cup of tea, but definitely eye catching in a good way.
Old 01-18-13, 12:29 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
p.s. Do you have any pics of other stems you've built?
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Pics of my projects? Twist my arm! Yeah, I`ll dig some up.
I`ve built five and still have all of them. You can see quite an evolution, mostly when I went from welding to brazing.

The first was the 1 inch adjustable that I have on the Rockhopper. Here it is with the original 25.4 clamp (welded together) and the 26.0 clamp I just made for the new project (machined from a single piece). The mast and boom assemblies were all welded on this one also, just machined away unneeded material to make the binder bolt things since they`re too tiny for me to weld reliably.

Then the first "permanent" stem I made from the measurments on that adjustable. It was built with the same methods, but more care into keeping it pretty. The stainless top cap was so cool I used it again on my next "permanent" stem and will continue to do so. This went on a gas pipe Univega crusier that no longer exists.

1-1/8 adjustable for fitting the Schwinn, the first brazed effort. MUCH cleaner, especially for the binder bolts. My TIGging is serviceable as long as the material is thick enough, but certainly not up to profesional levels.

Highrise stem for my Schwinn- I probaly have 10K miles on it now and the paint is looking like $h1t, but still holding out just fine. I also made the rack that you can see a little bit of.

Most recent was an odd-ball riser for my recumbent. The bottom part (no pics) is a straight quill with a sort of clamp socket to accept 3/4 EMT (light duty conduit). The top part has an upside down version of that socket brazed to the bar clamp.
Attached Images
DSCN4209.jpg (56.7 KB, 505 views)
DSCN4212.jpg (75.6 KB, 506 views)
DSCN4211.jpg (80.9 KB, 494 views)
DSCN4208.jpg (57.2 KB, 498 views)
DSCN0987.jpg (87.9 KB, 502 views)
Old 01-18-13, 06:14 PM
guzziee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
Off to a great start on that Ross!

Been thinking about 1.5 inch gum walls myself. I think that finishes off the vintage look.
Why not 2.25's , here's my current project.

Old 01-19-13, 12:06 AM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by guzziee
Why not 2.25's , here's my current project.

Man'o'man... another Cimarron!!! Awesome to see another, I'm definitely going to try and finish up the last bits of sanding this weekend; the raw steel and fillet braze is a pretty cool looking! However, I have my heart set on a similar build to one that Sacha White (VANILLA Cycles) did, a custom touring bike in yellowy cream. Tasty!

Attached Images
VanillaCustomCommuter.jpg (66.0 KB, 1023 views)
VANILLAeyeCANDY.jpg (28.9 KB, 998 views)
Old 01-19-13, 12:10 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

sweet.. is that a randonneur bar guzzie?
Old 01-19-13, 12:12 AM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
He's probably getting his beauty sleep. Lol. Yes, they are Rando bars.

sweet.. is that a randonneur bar guzzie?
Old 01-19-13, 02:30 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where the heck are you guys finding all these Cimarrons? I`ve never even seen one in person, but there must be a half dozen in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.