Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Musing About Actually Being Able To Sell My 2006 Dahon Piccolo

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 08:51 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I just finished the final light tune up of my little Piccolo. It now boasts replacement of a single brake cable. That is all it needed beside a light lube & careful cleaning & inspection after almost 4 years. I never though about selling any bike I ever had before-be it used or new when I bought them. Before my folding bikes, most of my bikes-new or used it does not matter-ended up stolen anyway. I always tried to take care of them (just like the ones I have at present), but in the end it was always the same around Los Angeles area. In spite of careful locking techniques, watching them, doing all the “right” things others suggested or wrote about, nothing worked in the end. If the bike was not abandoned to the back of a dark dusty garage, it usually “disappeared” during it’s service life around here.

The choice was limited as to what to do about replacing the bike. Either run back to the bike shop for a newer model or forget about bikes and get a car. That was it. Never mind contacting the jaded personnel of local law enforcement for help-they are swamped with real problems like missing persons, runaways, gangs, murders, and the like. So....you are on your own. Until the arrival of my Boardwalk S1. Then my life changed for the better. And grew more crowded with bikes that 2 must go the right way.

So....for the first time in my life, I am selling a bike. It took over 50 years to get here. But I won’t go back to “locking it up” ever again. I like this way of living and will not return to regular bikes ever again, no matter how these bikes are supposed to be so performance orientated, or flashy, or pretty or anything else so special about them. I like this parting of the ways with a bike. For once I am in charge of my life. I like that feeling my little Piccolo has given me most of all.
Old 07-18-10, 10:33 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why are you selling it?
Old 07-19-10, 08:48 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Why are you selling it?
I live in a rather cramped room about 12'x10'-and most of it is broken up by a series of doors & windows old houses seem to have aplenty. So I must make do with even more limited space. Along with my other prized possessions-a laptop computer, two-1 main & 1 back-up-sewing machines plus the 2 worktables for these items, a tiny television set & radio, and sleeping cot, has to fit in the less available livable parts of the room. The bikes must be squeezed in the odd nooks and crannies that are left over. I have space for 2 folding bikes (assuming the bikes are completely folded or collapsed) that won't be tripped or stepped upon. Right now I have the other 2 that don't quite fit where one is on top of the sewing table ( I have to move it every time I sew or draft patterns), and the other one leaning against the cot (I have to climb over it to get to bed!). Soooo......I think I better part with one now and one soon after rather than be buried alive by bikes!

Even the guy at my local bike shop thought that was a good enough reason.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-19-10 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 05:00 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I live in a rather cramped room about 12'x10'-and most of it is broken up by a series of doors & windows old houses seem to have aplenty. So I must make do with even more limited space. Along with my other prized possessions-a laptop computer, two-1 main & 1 back-up-sewing machines plus the 2 worktables for these items, a tiny television set & radio, and sleeping cot, has to fit in the less available livable parts of the room. The bikes must be squeezed in the odd nooks and crannies that are left over.
Sounds logical enough to me but I still detect some sadness in the parting. I really felt that when you said, "For once I am in charge of my life. I like that feeling my little Piccolo has given me most of all."

Sounds like, in spite of everything, you've gotten attached to this particular folder or model of folder. And even though logic and practically tells you this is the way to go, it must still be hard to part with a bike you've had and lovingly worked on.

I definitely feel this way about my trike. As cumbersome, unglamorous and slow as she is, I'm quite fond of her and have given her a makeover. She has made it possible for me to live a relatively independent life which includes getting and maintaining a job that I commute to via trike.

P.S. Had time today to look over your extensive site. I saw the Phillips, Broadwalk, Brompton, Piccolo and Raleigh Twenty ----and of course --- your cats and dogs. Cool!!

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 07-20-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 11:19 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It is rather a sad time for me for parting with things & beings that were close to my heart. I really liked the Piccolo. But I am very happy in that I am able for the first time in my life to release it voluntary rather than being parted by force (bike thieves). Always my "pet family" is far more important to me than inanimate objects like even my folding bikes. They are living beings as the people here are. I just uploaded the Craigslist ad just a few minutes ago. If the person is "won over" to the folding bike world as I and others here are, it is all worth giving it up.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-21-10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 10:45 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Now the ad is on 2 places on the Internet, plus A New Temporary Flickr Set:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/1854470295.html

&

https://forum.dahon.com/index.php?showtopic=9059&st=0#entry65771

New Flickr Photo Set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/world-of-folding-bicycles-too/sets/72157624423859113/
Old 08-06-10, 02:25 PM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see the CL ad has been pulled, although the Dahon Forum ad is still up. Have you sold the piccolo?
Old 08-06-10, 03:09 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck FF. You have kept the bike immaculate, lovely little bike. It looks quite lightweight.

Do not worry you have that really nice classic Raleigh which is coming on very nicely and your beloved Brommie!
Old 08-06-10, 09:05 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I see the CL ad has been pulled, although the Dahon Forum ad is still up. Have you sold the piccolo?
No, not yet. It seems that people want brand new bikes. My Piccolo is right now fairly priced at 1/2 the price of today's Curve D3. That is still not good enough. And I don't want to go much lower as it becomes pointless to continue to post it plus I cannot cover the cost of my Raleigh's bike shop overhaul. And I forgot to repost it on LA Craigslist (it's back).

Originally Posted by mulleady
Good luck FF. You have kept the bike immaculate, lovely little bike. It looks quite lightweight.

Do not worry you have that really nice classic Raleigh which is coming on very nicely and your beloved Brommie!
Thank you for your kind comments. While the lack of moving the Piccolo has slowed my restoration of the Twenty down some, I am not exactly out quite yet. Don't worry as I always find a way to finance my bikes needs somehow. The date to go to the bike show has been pushed down to the end of this month to allow for saving up. This gives me time to rearrange storage places inside for all the bikes without tripping over them all of the time. Plus measuring the Twenty for a couple of bags it needs right away (just like a new baby it seems!). If I cannot move the Piccolo, it will stay with me for the long term-along with my Brompton of course.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-06-10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 05:24 PM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I lived on your side of the country - I really like the Piccolo, at least its looks and specs. Oh well, there would be heck to pay from my wife if I bought another bike anyway.
Old 08-08-10, 01:05 PM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please see my PM & email.
Old 08-08-10, 05:46 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Piccolo has been sold & is no longer listed.
Old 08-08-10, 05:56 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
The Piccolo has been sold & is no longer listed.
Well done FF and good luck with your Raleigh 20 upgrades now :-)
Old 08-08-10, 06:03 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
Well done FF and good luck with your Raleigh 20 upgrades now :-)
My Raleigh will start it's final part of it's restoration this Wednesday-when the bike shop is open.