Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a braze on for bottle dynamo?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-17-15, 06:29 AM
Wressen

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate AL 9, Surly X-check, Crescent Race 2316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new fork mostly to get a bit more tyre clearence, but it also has some kind of braze on. But it seems to be a bit low for a dynamo braze on?
Maybe itīs only for mounting a light?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fork.jpg (54.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-17-15, 06:34 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
For a light, most likely from a country that drives on the left side of the road (UK, Japan) so the right fork leg centers the light to the path.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-17-15, 06:39 AM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
OMG, I've not seen one of those in years. It's for a tow hook! When somebody passes, you simply drop the tow hook to latch on for a free ride!

Seriously, I'd guess, like you, it's for mounting a light. On the right implies UK, though, not Sweden (it's been a long time since Sweden made the switch - must have been beyond chaotic!)

On still another note, and forgive me for going off-topic, I'm looking for information from Europe on using Diquat (an herbicide) on aquatic vegetation.
Old 05-17-15, 06:51 AM
Wressen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. As I thought. Itīs still on itīway to me by post. So I thought that it might have been a weird angle on the photo.
Is it just stupid to try and us it as a bottle dynamo mount? Those mounts you put on the fork can move horizontal, but even if you have to put an extension on the braze on it would still not be able to move horizontal, only vertically.(do you understand my thoughts? hard to explain)

The reason I wanted to know before i got it, is that I'm ordering bike parts today, and they have 10% off on all parts during the weekend on rose bikes. So I have to decide if I'm getting a left side och right side dynamo.
Old 05-17-15, 07:07 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
[Hey neighbor!]

As you suspected, it's way too low to be for a bottle dynamo.

This one, on my Helkama, is only centered about 2,5 cm below the cantilever/V-brake braze-on. I apologize for the cluttered background of bikes... It's also on the left leg of the fork, since it was built in Finland.

edit: I should also add that the wheel pictured is the cheap one from Biltema. The hub is only 2,4 watt, but I like it, mostly because it was cheap. It was cheaper when i bought it a year ago, but they seemed to have raised the prices to peg it to the U.S. Dollar.
Attached Images

Last edited by DiegoFrogs; 05-17-15 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-17-15, 07:45 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Whoa, after looking at the Rose Bike website, I could have done way better with my money there at current prices.
Old 05-17-15, 07:47 AM
Wressen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes good prices indeed. Only thing I can't find at rose is a bottle dynamo holder(other then the v-brake one).

Are you a bike collector?
Old 05-17-15, 08:49 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't believe it's too low for a dynamo. They always mount from the bottom, and are longer than you'd think. I have one in my hands that measures 11 cm from the mounting bolt to the little wheel that rubs the tire. This thing is long, so will reach the tire somewhere ahead of its highest point. It won't work with every dynamo, but I'm sure it will work with some.
Old 05-17-15, 10:43 AM
DiegoFrogs

Originally Posted by Wressen
Are you a bike collector?
Eh, not so much. I'm pretty happy with the three that I have now. One classic each from England and Japan that I brought from the USA when I moved here, and the "please don't steal me" Helkama. Although I'm constantly scanning blocket for one of the high-end Crescent or Monark bikes from the '60s or '70s with Reynolds 531 tubing... It would be nice to have a Swedish bike, too!

Of course, when I go back home on vacation next month I'll be riding an American and a Canadian classic that I keep at my parents' house.
Old 05-19-15, 06:46 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Could be for a dynamo, but the same fitting on my tandem fork (when I got it - I since changed the fork, brakes and wheels) was used to mount an anchor bar for the front drum brake.

Over here in the UK, where we drive on the left side of the road and bicycle front lamps were traditionally mounted on the right side or centre of the bike, bottle dynamos were almost universally mounted on the seat stay, running off the rear wheel. Might be different in other countries?
Old 05-30-15, 12:21 PM
Wressen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got the fork and put it on the bike. Itīs a standard fork so I had to change the headset(french bike). I have not gotten my nordlicht dynamo yet. But it looks like it will work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0374.jpg (61.3 KB, 22 views)