Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A Sensitive Subject... Saddles!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

A Sensitive Subject... Saddles!

Old 06-29-15, 06:59 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by MZilliox View Post
That makes no sense? so you buy a petroleum product that pollutes both?

this is a hard one... I think most of my saddles have included a bit of leather or cotton somewhere... you pretty much knock off all the consensus favorites there...
I'm guessing you don't understand sarcasm.
Old 06-29-15, 07:12 PM
MZilliox 

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
I'm guessing you don't understand sarcasm.
no totally, saw the whistle guy, i just forgot to use my own smiley something or other
Old 06-29-15, 07:19 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by MZilliox View Post
no totally, saw the whistle guy, i just forgot to use my own smiley something or other
Lol I agree with your sentiment though. If someone actually does feel that way, it is odd to refuse to buy a product made of renewable resources and then buy one made of one that is not. I will buy whichever one works best for me.
Old 06-29-15, 10:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 1,379 Posts
https://www.serfas.com/products/inde...les/rx-saddles

I picked up a Serfas MH-RX a few weeks ago and love it. Did just over 50mi a couple days ago and I was fine that evening and the next day.

The RX line comes in a ton of different widths and shapes. Just tossing This out since it hasn't yet been mentioned.
Old 06-29-15, 11:15 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was a vegetarian for a bit. A dead cow can't put much use into it's leather, and harvesting an animal is not necessarily immoral. Whatever, point being, I'm not avoiding leather and cotton because I want to hug the planet.

I don't want to have to baby my saddle, I don't want to have to cover it in rain (though, I might, but water won't ruin a synthetic saddle if it's left out on accident), and I don't believe that cotton is durable enough for a saddle. Sorry, Brooks Cambium, but I just don't understand why you picked a hydrophilic, low-durability fiber for your saddle cover. I can see the guy's Cambium in my shop with wear-marks getting deeper every month.
Old 06-30-15, 04:14 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mdithey, IME saddle width, which seems to affect the sit bones, depends on how aggressive the riding position is.

My back-up touring bike/beater came with a Trek saddle from a hybrid. Great for awhile, but if I take this bike on a ride longer than 20 miles I'd have to change it because my thighs rub the pan of the saddle too much, just a tad too wide, but comfortable in non cycling shorts. My distance roadie has a Selle Italia Q-BIK SE that works pretty well whether using any position on the handle bars or the aero bars. My primary touring bike has an older Serfas Ti saddle (no more modern version) that is a few mm wider than my generally preferred Selle Italia Flite. I mention it mainly because it's well made.

Good luck with your search.

Brad
Old 06-30-15, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/cockpi...hronous-saddle.. its padding is the surface , Crocs shoes stuff..

so crashing, bike falling over, wont tear up the Pleather skin..
Old 06-30-15, 10:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
The pain i'm feeling is in my sit bones. No pain in between.
No pain in between is always good.

A couple thoughts: have you ramped up the miles lately? Sometimes I will have "novel" sit bone soreness when doing a longer ride than my day-to-day riding (like a brevet), but that has always been tolerable and subsides relatively soon.

Is the sit bone pain more due to pressure or chafing? If the latter, it might be worth having someone watch your hips as you ride, to see if they are rocking and indicating that the saddle is a little too high.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-30-15, 11:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 608 Posts
If you don't like the WTB saddles, chances are good that your sit bones are too wide for them because those are some comfortable saddles. Go to you LBS, get measured, try what they recommend.

The other possibility is that you simply need to break in your butt. If you're ridden one of those saddles most days for a couple of weeks and they still hurt your bones, yep, probably too narrow.
Old 06-30-15, 11:04 AM
suburbanbeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
I've been riding a Brooks Cambium C15 for a few months now, and really like it. No signs of wear on my cycling shorts or the saddle. It gets plenty wet from sweat and rain, and is no worse for wear. Recently did a 5-day trip, and didn't think about it once, which is what a great saddle should do. Saddle about level with the bar tops.
I've also put a few thousand miles on my Brooks Cambium and love it. Hurt at first, as all saddles will, but eventually felt great. As a vegan, I was very, very happy to see Brooks release this saddle. Great stuff.
Old 06-30-15, 11:06 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 114 Posts
I was a vegetarian for a bit. A dead cow can't put much use into it's leather, and harvesting an animal is not necessarily immoral. Whatever, point being, I'm not avoiding leather and cotton because I want to hug the planet.

I don't want to have to baby my saddle, I don't want to have to cover it in rain (though, I might, but water won't ruin a synthetic saddle if it's left out on accident), and I don't believe that cotton is durable enough for a saddle. Sorry, Brooks Cambium, but I just don't understand why you picked a hydrophilic, low-durability fiber for your saddle cover. I can see the guy's Cambium in my shop with wear-marks getting deeper every month.
Is your friend wearing street clothes, because I have no visible wear after several months of daily use with cycling shorts on my Cambium. Probably 2,000+ miles.
Old 06-30-15, 08:41 PM
phughes

I figured that is why you were steering away from them. I have to say though, I have never babied my Brooks, I just ride it. If it is going to pour, I will cover it, but if I am already sitting on it, I often don't stop to cover it.

My brother has a Brooks on his bike as well. As far as I know, he has never covered or treated his and it is still good. He got his on a used bike that was bought first by my other brother used back in the 70's. The saddle was used on many tours and is still on his bike.

A Brooks leather saddle isn't the work some make it out to be. I don't even think about mine, I just ride on it.
Old 06-30-15, 09:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
Not the OP, but as a vegetarian (40 years, this year), I didn't want to buy a leather saddle either. Instead, I tried a couple different ones and never really liked any of them. On a tour from SF to Phoenix, the seat became very painful (at least it was a distraction from the scenery!) and I decided I needed another saddle.

Knowing that a Brooks leather saddle was the recommended choice, I took a look at my beliefs and decided that I no longer was concerned about the bad karma using leather might bring onto my soul (and that buying a leather saddle likely didn't cause any more suffering for the specific cow supplying it). So, I bought the Brooks saddle and have been very pleased ever since.

I try to repent by telling the cows I see on my tours to "Leave NOW! They are going to eat you." They don't seem very concerned but I don't know what happens after I ride away...
You did cause harm, because Brooks will now have to kill others to make more saddles and someone had to die for a silly bike seat. If we don't consume their leather saddles and other leather goods, then nobody need be killed. The Cambium saddle is a perfect alternative and quite comfortable out of the box rather than break in periods.

Now onto the OPs question. Unfortunately the saddles I might suggest are on the no list (or you have tried them) but I do have one that looked interesting Infinity Seat

It could be hokey B.S. or it could be revolutionary but it may be worth a try. A bunch a RAAMers have claimed they liked it.

The Fabric Cell is another option that I have yet to try but is new on the market and seems like a decent idea:
Fabric Cell
Old 06-30-15, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Originally Posted by kpfeif View Post
I have come to really like the WTB Deva's that Performance sells for $44.99. They are very slightly wider than the two WTBs you've tried, and also a little flatter across the top and a little cushier. The volt in particular is quite hard, imo. I guess the Deva is technically women's specific (whatever that means) but they guys who've ridden my bikes have thought they were quite comfortable too. I have 3 of them

WTB Women's Deva Race SE Saddle - Performance Exclusive
"While this saddles ends up being a popular choice among women, it is not actually a womens-specific saddle" From WTB. Performance knows not what they talk about which from what I have heard from a few former employees, is quite true.
Old 06-30-15, 09:27 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
You did cause harm, because Brooks will now have to kill others to make more saddles and someone had to die for a silly bike seat. If we don't consume their leather saddles and other leather goods, then nobody need be killed. The Cambium saddle is a perfect alternative and quite comfortable out of the box rather than break in periods.
I stated my reasoning. If you choose to live by a different set of rules, so be it. Judging others by rules you set for yourself doesn't usually go over well. It certainly doesn't with me.

Do you seriously believe that if everyone used non-leather saddles and shoes that no cows would be killed?
Old 06-30-15, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by raybo View Post
I stated my reasoning. If you choose to live by a different set of rules, so be it. Judging others by rules you set for yourself doesn't usually go over well. It certainly doesn't with me.

Do you seriously believe that if everyone used non-leather saddles and shoes that no cows would be killed?
Rules? I didn't set any rules down I just stated facts and an opinion on the Cambium (though I guess technically I did call the bike seat silly which was a minor opinion in that statement of fact)

If you are a rules man "Do unto others..." is a golden one : )

If we stopped exploiting/using animals then yes we wouldn't be killing them. They might die from other causes but so long as those causes aren't us, all is good!
Old 06-30-15, 10:44 PM
erig007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post

Now onto the OPs question. Unfortunately the saddles I might suggest are on the no list (or you have tried them) but I do have one that looked interesting Infinity Seat

It could be hokey B.S. or it could be revolutionary but it may be worth a try. A bunch a RAAMers have claimed they liked it.
Fabric Cell
I have some doubts the plastic part in the middle seems to put pressure on soft tissues

Last edited by erig007; 06-30-15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 07:43 AM
arnaguedes

Bikes: Charge Duster Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my SELLE SMP TRK - 40usd
No more pain/pressure in the vein.

you cant go wrong with a saddle used to cycle around the world
exemple: mark beaumont (not exactly this model, but same design)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trkmanbig.jpg (94.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-01-15, 08:50 AM
gandrimp

Bikes: Trek Stache 6, Surly Disc Trucker, Fuji Sportif 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks kills cows for the hide???? Priceless ,,,, Brooks kills a $2000 dollar cow to make saddles? Buy all the plastic you like, I like leather and will continue being seated on it. Call me a cow murderer, I could not care less of your opinion.
Old 07-01-15, 12:34 PM
mdilthey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, the leather good/evil discussion was likely just as inevitable as the presence of another saddle thread.

To answer some questions, I bike about 50-100 miles a week, and about 200 miles in a week once a month. About 3,000 miles a year or so. I think my butt is broken in.

I alternate between Icebreaker shorts and Ibex shorts, with a built-in chamois. The Ibex ones have less padding.

Let's get personal... I have an unusually small rear. My pelvis seems to be of average size for my height (6'1") and my thighs are big, but I just have no natural padding whatsoever in the trunk. I'm thinking anything with less padding than the Volt isn't gonna work. I think I need a VERY dense and supportive foam, that will still cut road buzz. Maybe a dual-density saddle?

I am trying my buddy's Fizik Aliante and it's too firm. Feels like sitting on a piece of plastic. I'm sure it works for some people, maybe with bigger butts.

Looking strongly at Selle SMP because the padding is thick.

Any ideas?
Old 07-01-15, 01:18 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand I was thinking this way for a while too but in the end doesn't hours of comfort a day trump the 15 seconds it takes to cover your saddle? Doesn't your sit bone pain make the case for a Brooks trial since the the (custom) divots that will form may provide relief from this pain?
Old 07-01-15, 01:31 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, the leather good/evil discussion was likely just as inevitable as the presence of another saddle thread.

To answer some questions, I bike about 50-100 miles a week, and about 200 miles in a week once a month. About 3,000 miles a year or so. I think my butt is broken in.

I alternate between Icebreaker shorts and Ibex shorts, with a built-in chamois. The Ibex ones have less padding.

Let's get personal... I have an unusually small rear. My pelvis seems to be of average size for my height (6'1") and my thighs are big, but I just have no natural padding whatsoever in the trunk. I'm thinking anything with less padding than the Volt isn't gonna work. I think I need a VERY dense and supportive foam, that will still cut road buzz. Maybe a dual-density saddle?

I am trying my buddy's Fizik Aliante and it's too firm. Feels like sitting on a piece of plastic. I'm sure it works for some people, maybe with bigger butts.

Looking strongly at Selle SMP because the padding is thick.

Any ideas?
A few people have found the SMP Trk too wide. As you apprently don't have wide sitbones width it is something to consider, the SMP hybrid is narrower
https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...DateDescending

How is your riding position, upright? moderate?..
Old 07-01-15, 01:32 PM
mdilthey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
A few people have found the SMP Trk too wide. As you apprently don't have wide sitbones width it is something to consider, the SMP hybrid is narrower
https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...DateDescending

How is your riding position, upright? moderate?..
Moderate, and I have no trouble getting into the drops and staying there, sometimes for a while.
Old 07-01-15, 03:40 PM
phughes

BTW If you consider a Brooks at some point, you can actually get a six month return guarantee if you order from wallbike.com | Wallingford Bike Parts. They let you try it for six months and return it if you don't like it.

There are a multitude of seats out there so I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 07-01-15, 04:19 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 114 Posts
Yeah, since the wholesale slaughter of cows doesn't seem bother you and you have a weird butt, maybe a leather Brooks would work best for you, especially since you can get a free 6-month trial. The only downside is getting it wet, which is easily resolved with a shower cap and a tin of Proofide. What's a lifetime of happy riding worth to you (assuming you make it past the first six months)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.