Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using standard brake levers with v-brake?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 05:50 AM
Wressen

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate AL 9, Surly X-check, Crescent Race 2316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I´ve ordered a VO crazy bar and I would like to have TT bar end brakes in the bull horn section. But there does´nt seem to be any kind of those that works with v-brakes.

I will have good brake levers on the handlebar section, but would like to have brakes at the bull horn section as well. So how bad does standard levers brake v-brakes if you adjust the pads very tightly against the rim? It wont stop, or it feels weird, stops a little??
Old 06-02-16, 06:28 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
For a set amount of hand effort and lever stroke, Canti/caliper brake levers pulls less cable with more force than v-brake levers.

For the front, I've been reasonably happy with that combo.

You need to run pads close to get them to engage well before the lever bottoms out against the bar.

You need to use good quality housing etc and to do a good job at the install.

If you do, stopping power can be good.
One might even say improved.

Some complain that the (excess) power makes the brakes feel mushy.

True, in a way, but I've never thought about that while riding.

But maybe I judge brake performance from what happens to my speed more than by how the lever feels.

For the rear it's trickier.

The longer cabling run means you lose more travel from taking up the slack in the system, making it difficult to keep the brake in that sweet spot between running free when disengaged and good braking before the lever bottoms out against the bar.

This is why I've eventually changed those bikes over to matched levers.

I've been tempted to try it with some Nokon-style cabling. Maybe that'd be enough to make it fully useful.

How are you planning to hook two levers to the same brake?
Old 06-02-16, 06:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you adjust your pads in real close to your rim, how are you going to remove your wheel when you get a flat tire?
Old 06-02-16, 07:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The OP has chosen what's a really bad combo of parts. As mentioned, linear brakes require a lot of cable pull to operate well. But besides the short cable pull of the caliper intended bar end TT levers is that they also have the least lever range of movement for any caliper intended lever. Even with some well matched set ups these levers can be less then ideal in actual braking adjustments and performance. But then what would you expect from a component that isn't intended to work well but instead to maintain the rider's aero position. To use said component in daily/general riding isn't a priority of the manufacturer, unless your daily riding is training for your event.

One possibility to improve the miss match is to try a Travel Agent cable pull adapter. Andy.
Old 06-02-16, 07:18 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
How are you planning to hook two levers to the same brake?
This will be especially challenging when mixing two brake lever styles with different cable pulls.
Old 06-02-16, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you adjust your pads in real close to your rim, how are you going to remove your wheel when you get a flat tire?
You just remove the wheel, (by being flat, tire not in the way) once you patch the Tube , put the wheel back IN, and when it's back In ,

Then
you pump up the Tire.
Old 06-02-16, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
all 4 levers not V brake ? add a Problem Solvers 'travel agent'
Old 06-02-16, 12:44 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wressen
I´ve ordered a VO crazy bar and I would like to have TT bar end brakes in the bull horn section. But there does´nt seem to be any kind of those that works with v-brakes.

I will have good brake levers on the handlebar section, but would like to have brakes at the bull horn section as well. So how bad does standard levers brake v-brakes if you adjust the pads very tightly against the rim? It wont stop, or it feels weird, stops a little??
Totally VERY BAD.

Look for some Tektro RL740 (24mm bars) or RL741 (31.8mm bars) interrupter levers; there is a dealer on ebay or SJS Cycles.
Old 06-02-16, 01:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
Try using the regular levers with the V-brake calipers and see if it works. (I suggest doing it before you tape the handlebars.) If you can do it, get both an inline barrel adjust and a quick-release or two somewhere on the cable runs since cable length will be much more critical. Too much cable stretch and you will be bottoming out on the brake levers and not stopping. And it may take more than one quick-release to give enough cable slack to make wheel changes easy.

I've been using V-brake levers and dual pivot calipers the past few years. (The opposite extreme.) I do it to get the huge V-brake lever hoods which my hand love and knock down the braking power on my fix gear. Makes hard braking from the drops far more predictable (and in real terms, it makes for much faster stops). That setup has pista bars and I spend much of my time in the drops. Braking power is actually a drawback.

Ben