Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Specialized Saddle for Century?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Specialized Saddle for Century?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 12:38 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The carbon saddle has a little "give", which smooths out most of the minor bumps. If a saddle fits, well, you don't need much padding, and the pads in the shorts are plenty. I have softer saddles on other bikes, and they usually end up uncomfortable, after a while.
Old 07-01-16, 01:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If you liked your Brooks but want a cutout, Brooks makes 'Imperial' models of many of their saddles; 'Imperial' just means there's a cutout. If you want an even bigger cutout, Selle Anatomica makes leather saddles with humongous cutouts.
Old 07-01-16, 08:04 PM
MacAttack

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I made the mistake of sitting on a Brooks C17 Cambium & riding around the parking lot a few times.

I know it was just a short ride, but no hint of inner thigh/hamstring pinching that I get with the Specialized saddles,
and it just felt like it fit my butt perfectly. Could also feel it somewhat absorb some of the bumps.

But.....................I hate the nose pressing on stuff, & they didn't have a carved version to try.
So tomorrow I'm going to give the Phenom a longer test ride, & if that doesn't impress me I'll probably order a C17 Carved & be done with it.

Still a tough choice though.
I like the Romin Evo, pretty sure I like the Phenom, and pretty sure I like the C17 the best................I think.
Old 07-09-16, 09:31 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MacAttack
Well I made the mistake of sitting on a Brooks C17 Cambium & riding around the parking lot a few times.

I know it was just a short ride, but no hint of inner thigh/hamstring pinching that I get with the Specialized saddles,
and it just felt like it fit my butt perfectly. Could also feel it somewhat absorb some of the bumps.

But.....................I hate the nose pressing on stuff, & they didn't have a carved version to try.
So tomorrow I'm going to give the Phenom a longer test ride, & if that doesn't impress me I'll probably order a C17 Carved & be done with it.

I like the Romin Evo, pretty sure I like the Phenom, and pretty sure I like the C17 the best................I think.
I've ordered a Brooks C17 Carved in black for my new Giant TCR (the carved model with the cutout is supposidly the better model for long distance/touring)

I receive it on Friday (ordered through my local bike shop)..... most of the guys at the bike shop have the Cambium saddles on their own bikes and speak very highly of them

I have a Gilles Berthoud Aravis saddle on my Surly LHT which is very comfortable (especially on long rides), cost a bit more than the Brooks Cambium, but I decided to try something different on my Giant. Brooks give a 10 year guarantee on the Cambium saddles so thats a bonus, plus it's waterproof

Last edited by dim; 07-09-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 08:59 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

If you decide to dump that Phenom, keep me in mind.
Old 07-10-16, 10:01 AM
MacAttack

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
If you decide to dump that Phenom, keep me in mind.
Phenom went back to the store. They let you test saddles for up to 30 days.
Riding the Cambium C17 Carved right now. Can't return that one, so hopefully it works.
Don't really have a final opinion on it yet. Need some more rides.
Old 07-10-16, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another Saddle thread

Which men's Specialized saddle would be most comfortable for completing a century?

I'm not used to these types of saddles as I've only ever used a Brooks Flyer. Moved on from that due to the hard nose & lack of a cutout, and I wanted to try a non-leather saddle for a while.
You have 100 bike shops there in PDX go sit on more saddles . probably several Specialized dealers ,
Out here its just the guy in Cannon Beach.

its between your ass and the saddle not a crowd sourced preference.

Hope the C17 works .. theres a C15 and a carbon rail C13 now too.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-10-16 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 11:26 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I think the Brooks flyer is a very comfortable saddle, but mainly if you put it on the bikes it was originally designed for in 1923 or something. Those bikes had high handlebars and a very angled head tube, making the rider shift all his weight to the rear, on his buttocks, with hard front part of the saddle supporting no weight at all, it's just there to keep you from slipping to one side and helps keeping balance (easier to notice when you try riding without hands, then you can steer the bike with the inside leg).

My point is that comfort doesn't come from the saddle, but from the ride position together with the saddle. They should match.

Btw, Brooks also makes saddles which are not only adjustable with the bolt in front, but also with leather strings on the sides, and they have aged leather, which is already more supple. But I doubt that will solve the problem of putting you weight on the hard front part.
Old 07-10-16, 12:36 PM
Jux25

Bikes: Fuji Team, QRoo Lucero, Trek 4300, Track Bike,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a kickstarter for the reprieve by 3 west design. It rocks, never need another one..
Old 07-10-16, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
B17 still sells well, Flyer is a sprung version.
Old 07-10-16, 04:39 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
I rode a century this past Friday; 163.5 km to be exact. I used my 23 y.o. steel Marinoni Special that was custom-made for me in 1993. It has a Selle d'Italia Flite Titanium saddle that's been on it since new. It is my go-to bike for centuries. My CF bike gets too uncomfortable after a while (I've ordered a new Marinoni Genius Carbon to replace it).

Anyway you'll have to pry my cold, dead butt off that Flite saddle. It's looking a bit tattered now but is as comfortable as ever. I just love it.

Saddles are, I think, a kind of personal thing. My CF bike came with a Fizik Arione saddle which I hated, I put on a newer generation Flite but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the old one. Use whichever one works best.

As a side note I had to limp home the last 30 km of the century with 2 broken spokes...
Old 07-11-16, 12:06 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have had the specialized henge with Ti rail for over 4500 miles and it wasnt too comfortable, then tried the romin evo saddle 5000 miles no good, brook imperial b17 with the spade looking cutout over 3500 miles and it is better.