Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route-Bike setup suggestions/critiques

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 09:16 PM
Rincon98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm planning to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route in the late summer of 2018, and I just wanted to throw up my bike setup that I am planning on using for it. Frame will be the Giant Xtc Advanced 29er. This frame is carbon, 29er wheels, with no braze-ons beside the bottlecages. I plan on swapping out the wheels with the Stan's NoTubes Crest MK3 with Stan's Neo Hubs. They use pretty standard spokes which should be easy to find in case I break any, which will inevitably happen. The bike comes with Shimano SLX 1x11 drivetrain, and I am thinking I will sell all of it and put on a SRAM GX 2x11 drivetrain because of the way the Shimano derailleurs shred shfiter cables so bad. Also, i have heard that a 2x drivetrain is recommended. Brakes will stay(Shimano SLX), as well as the fork. Probably a touring bent handlebar, WTB saddle. Any suggestions/critiques? Oh and I am planning on putting Maxxis Ardent Crossmark 2.10 tires, set up tubeless. Im worried about bike setup for the moment, will worry about the way to haul gear later. (seat bag, frame bag, handlebar bag, hydration pack) thanks in advance!!
Old 04-21-17, 12:30 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I've never heard of Shimano derailleurs shredding cables and I've worked as a mechanic the past three years or so. Switching everything to Sram seems unnecessary.

Going to 2x isn't a bad idea. The extra gear range will be handy. I'd stick with Shimano personally.

I'm not sure what you mean by "touring bent handlebar" but if you're thinking of going with something like the Jones H-bar it's a fantastic choice. I have over 5000 miles of touring with the Jones bars and I've never been more comfortable. It's better than any drop or flat bar I've used hands down.

There's a lot of washboard on the route. I'd go with the largest tire you can fit to improve comfort.
Old 04-21-17, 03:55 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having never done it but want to...good thing is you're thinking about the setup well in advance. I'd get your contact points set-up ASAP so that you have time to figure out exactly what is comfortable for you. Get in back to back long days on the bike so you know what works and what wears you out first (butt/back sore/hand or wrist fatigue etc) so you can start mitigating those areas in the next year (strength training, fit adjustments, gear decisions, etc). Good luck and post some pics of your setup and progress as it comes along.
Old 04-21-17, 07:46 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I'm not sure what washboard refers to. Also is there a forum or other site specific for the great divide trail? I'm happy with my Sram stuff, but is it really worth changing out? I would think not. Obviously bring spare spokes and cables. Have you seen bikepacking.net
Old 04-21-17, 08:38 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
So I'm not sure what washboard refers to
paleolithic maytag.

think of it as an alabama accordion.

Old 04-21-17, 09:37 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Washboard is extremely uncomfortable ridges in a dirt or gravel road caused by tractors. Doesn't matter what tires you are using, it is horrible. Wider and lower pressure takes some of the punishment out.
Old 04-21-17, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
It can also be caused by normal vehicles.

Hard to see in this photo, but the washboards in the bottom center are close to 2" in height. They were worse on other parts of the road. Quite teeth rattling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
washboards.jpg (98.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 04-21-17, 11:23 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It can also be caused by normal vehicles.

Hard to see in this photo, but the washboards in the bottom center are close to 2" in height. They were worse on other parts of the road. Quite teeth rattling.
Oh!! yea, that stuff.
Thanks!
Old 04-21-17, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Washboard is extremely uncomfortable ridges in a dirt or gravel road caused by tractors. Doesn't matter what tires you are using, it is horrible. Wider and lower pressure takes some of the punishment out.
So this isnt meant as a critical disagreement, its just something that I found interesting after reading about how washboarding is created.
Physics of Washboard Road Formation - What causes washboard roads? | HowStuffWorks
Causes of Washboard Road Formation - What causes washboard roads? | HowStuffWorks

Apparently washboarding is created with any vehicle type and can even be observed on railroad tracks. Friggin Fizix man, its fascinating.
Old 04-21-17, 01:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Suspension fork? Bigger tires?
Old 04-21-17, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Friggin Fizix man, its fascinating.
Indeed. When I was backpacking Glacier my guide and I were discussing my previous riding on an unpaved road that is recommended for cyclists heading from Columbia Falls to W. Glacier because it avoids a shoulderless stretch of U.S. 2. I mentioned that the road was in decent shape when I rode it twice in mid-June. He told me its gets more washboards later in the year from people driving way to fast. A good amount of the sparse traffic back there are vehicles picking up rafters from a takeout point, and they drive very fast. A good rain storm will often help smooth out washboards.
Old 04-21-17, 02:00 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Kelley and I rode a couple hundred miles of washboard in Iceland. Our experience was, 2.4" tires were fine but not comfortable. 3" tires made the washboard almost comfortable, no issues whatsoever.
Old 04-21-17, 02:05 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Kelley and I rode a couple hundred miles of washboard in Iceland. Our experience was, 2.4" tires were fine but not comfortable. 3" tires made the washboard almost comfortable, no issues whatsoever.
Do you remember where, specifically (although, I'm assuming the answer is "everywhere")?

There is a single 100 yard section of washboarding on the trail I regularly ride, out of 8 miles. I dread that 100 yard section more than I do any of the multiple parking areas where I have to slow down and pick my way through crowds. Doesn't matter one bit between the old 2" tires I had on my MTB or 32mm tires on the other bikes, it sucks either way.
Old 04-21-17, 02:11 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Do you remember where, specifically (although, I'm assuming the answer is "everywhere")?

There is a single 100 yard section of washboarding on the trail I regularly ride, out of 8 miles. I dread that 100 yard section more than I do any of the multiple parking areas where I have to slow down and pick my way through crowds. Doesn't matter one bit between the old 2" tires I had on my MTB or 32mm tires on the other bikes, it sucks either way.
Everywhere that wasn't paved, essentially. But, the 3" tires really did cut the chatter, especially once I lowered the pressure. I also have nice padded grips and nice flexy handlebars, that helps too.
Old 04-21-17, 02:26 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'd change nothing about your setup except tire width - if I were doing it again, I'd go with about 2.5", maybe even 3".

That isn't to say it can't be done on 2.1", or even that it's a bad idea (I used 2.2" and was...fine). But in this case, wider is better. The Great Divide isn't technical; washboard and sand are your worst enemies. As such, tread pattern isn't that important, but width is.
Old 04-21-17, 07:31 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many miles a day are reasonable on the Great Divide? I guess it depends on what section. But's what average?
Old 04-21-17, 07:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I haven't done it, but I purchased the manual. It looks like they have divided into segments of 40 to 50 miles, roughly.
Old 04-22-17, 05:54 AM
indyfabz

Good way to shake a kidney loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00242.jpg (95.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 04-23-17, 03:31 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Good way to shake a kidney loose.
Or break spokes.

Old 04-24-17, 04:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Or break spokes on a Trek 920.
fify. My LHT had handled this road 3 times with no problemos.
Old 04-24-17, 06:26 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rincon98, From what I've seen of the route, any mountain bike in good condition shouldn't have any problems... There have been plenty of other bicycle styles used successfully.

Tire selection and size is an area to think about, in particular where there is loose sand. I run dual pattern tires because I'm generally riding hard pack. At 1.9" they work fine in sand also, but wider can be better.

With a CF bike there will need to be a lot of attention to how it'll carry your load. I'd solve that issue first.

Brad
Old 04-24-17, 07:19 AM
Rincon98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I just feel like the Shimano derailleurs(especially the rear one) is the weak point on the bike with how it breaks cables. I have a trail bike that I have shredded atleast 3-4 cables and I know some werent even in the mountains. Im a mechanic myself at a bike shop(going on 3 years) and my coworker has wrenched for right at 25 years and he says Shimano derailleurs shred cables. He has a commuter bike set up that he has ridden for years and never replaced a cable. As for the handlebar thing, yes I am considering the Jones bar or I think Salsa makes a bent bar of some type. Probably Ergon grips going on there. Also for tires...the WTB Nanos are the #1 tire for the great divide, I think a wide tire will be a considerable amount of weight for long stretches of open road. Plus the front fork will most likely not accomodate anything over 2.3 ish. Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-17, 07:23 AM
Rincon98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john_mct
Having never done it but want to...good thing is you're thinking about the setup well in advance. I'd get your contact points set-up ASAP so that you have time to figure out exactly what is comfortable for you. Get in back to back long days on the bike so you know what works and what wears you out first (butt/back sore/hand or wrist fatigue etc) so you can start mitigating those areas in the next year (strength training, fit adjustments, gear decisions, etc). Good luck and post some pics of your setup and progress as it comes along.
I will post some pics, will most likely get the bike in september/october as it isnt released yet and the 2017s are sold out :/
Old 04-24-17, 07:24 AM
Rincon98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
So I'm not sure what washboard refers to. Also is there a forum or other site specific for the great divide trail? I'm happy with my Sram stuff, but is it really worth changing out? I would think not. Obviously bring spare spokes and cables. Have you seen bikepacking.net
yep will definitely bring spokes/cables which brings up why I chose the stan's wheels. They use a traditional j-bend spoke which is easier to find than a straight lace used by dt swiss or industry nine. Yes I have seen bikepacking.net, good stuff. There should be a forum specific for the GDMBR, but I couldnt find one.
Old 04-24-17, 07:27 AM
Rincon98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant doesnt really make a bike capable of plus tires on a 29er yet, the Anthem 29(full suspension xc) might fit a 2.4/2.5 but I dont need full suspension. My friend did it on an Xtc Advanced 29er and he may have used Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and got along fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.