Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NY to St. Louis

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

NY to St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 10:33 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NY to St. Louis

Thinking of doing a tour because I am super nifty at packing and I want to win over my high school sweetheart (actually something similar) and for fitness and humor. Google has been helpful for routes but I am interested in cool route tips like directions and places for sleep, shower, laundry and electric, as heard or experienced.

Thus far I plan to take public transit to Philadelphia then cycle through the Southern Tier of PA, then through Indianapolis area, into Illinois and south to my new love, Missouri. I bet Arkansas is neat too. I am aware of the Adventure Cycling club but may not need to pay for maps.

I expect to have a bivy tent, a tiny stove, food, clothing, internet phone, power bank, bike cover, lock, and tools, well-packed on the cycle. Thank you.
Old 11-23-17, 12:00 AM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could drive to the Show-Me State and do all my touring there, other than a sleepover in OH.
Old 11-23-17, 12:02 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by eric044
and for fitness and humor
The fitness part will take care of itself.
The humor part will happen with not too much detail into the planning aspect. The unexpected will be humorous but sometimes uncomfortable.
The point is that too much planning can take the fun out of it.
Old 11-23-17, 12:56 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I could drive to the Show-Me State and do all my touring there, other than a sleepover in OH.
Katy Trail Missouri Trail Maps, Businesses, Events, Mileage, and more
Old 11-23-17, 08:47 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neat. Haven't been able to find out about duration of car parking permitted at Clinton, MO or any place else on the trail.
Old 11-23-17, 09:03 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also see that at least in one spot there is no night cycling allowed. How difficult is it to do a little bit extra night riding on somewhat parallel roads?

Maybe won't need to night cycle. My rough plan for now is to park and camp in Hartsburg (waiting on emails regarding medium-term parking in and near Hartsburg) or Jefferson City (same questions about parking), then ride to Augusta, MO and camp, then head south and see if I have any friends there.

Last edited by eric044; 11-23-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-23-17, 07:37 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also see that at least in one spot there is no night cycling allowed. How difficult is it to do a little bit extra night riding on somewhat parallel roads?

Maybe won't need to night cycle. My rough plan for now is to park and camp in Hartsburg (waiting on emails regarding medium-term parking in and near Hartsburg) or Jefferson City (same questions about parking), then ride to Augusta, MO and camp, then head south and see if I have any friends there.
If you want to ride the trail at night, ride. If you get caught, play dumb. Tell them you didn't want to break the rule of camping on the trail and wanted to get to the next proper campground. I live near the trail. Missouri is broke, especially the state parks. I don't think I've ever seen LE on the trail outside of St. Charles. I've rode the complete trail many times.

It is beyond me why you can't ride the KT anytime. Discrimination? They don't shut down the backroads do they?
Old 11-23-17, 09:56 PM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonc123
If you want to ride the trail at night, ride. If you get caught, play dumb. Tell them you didn't want to break the rule of camping on the trail and wanted to get to the next proper campground. I live near the trail. Missouri is broke, especially the state parks. I don't think I've ever seen LE on the trail outside of St. Charles. I've rode the complete trail many times.

It is beyond me why you can't ride the KT anytime. Discrimination? They don't shut down the backroads do they?
Not exactly sure what I want to do yet. Looks like I might get on at Sedalia or Hartsburg, then go till I get to Hermann. Will probably need a motel or two in addition to camping. But, I've been lured to Crawford County, subtly. If I were to stay at Huzzah Valley Resort would I find nice paved paths or roads?

I bet I'd enjoy a day of kayaking and/or fishin'. Then maybe I'll go into town and win lotto.
Old 11-23-17, 10:36 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
this is apparently your first cycle tour.
why would you want to drive halfway across
the country and then ride a bike at night?
Old 11-24-17, 03:40 AM
metzenberg

Bikes: Surly LHT; Surly Ogre; Sekai 1970s classic; Old Trek Hard-tail Mountain Bike; Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Adventure Cycling Maps

Thinking of doing a tour because I am super nifty at packing and I want to win over my high school sweetheart (actually something similar) and for fitness and humor. Google has been helpful for routes but I am interested in cool route tips like directions and places for sleep, shower, laundry and electric, as heard or experienced. .
Adventure Cycling is a nonprofit organization in Missoula, Montana that promotes touring options and provides maps and routes across the USA. You could do this very route by choosing their new New York to Chicago route, which provides two options across sourthern PA.

From Chicago, continue on their Route 66 Trail to St. Louis.

See their website at Adventurecycling.org
Old 11-24-17, 09:00 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May I build permanent housing in the Ozarks? How would I have time to maintain it?
Old 11-24-17, 09:10 AM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
this is apparently your first cycle tour.
why would you want to drive halfway across
the country and then ride a bike at night?
Because it's 100*F and the humidity so high you can swim through the air? Can't answer the part about driving halfway across the country.
Old 11-24-17, 09:11 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Route 66 through Illinois doesn’t really exist anymore. One can, however, ride a convoluted path that approximates the pre-interstate highway route. Easy to get lost but here is a map with cue sheet if you want to give it a try: https://rideillinois.org/wp-content/u...ntsupdated.pdf

BTW, I think that the Adventure Cyling maps follow Burnham Greenway Trail and Old Plank Road to Joliet, which is definitely better than the Rt. 66 path from Chicago. See https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/publica...s/00000642.pdf

Last edited by Aidoneus; 11-24-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-24-17, 09:15 AM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not exactly sure what I want to do yet. Looks like I might get on at Sedalia or Hartsburg, then go till I get to Hermann. Will probably need a motel or two in addition to camping. But, I've been lured to Crawford County, subtly. If I were to stay at Huzzah Valley Resort would I find nice paved paths or roads?

I bet I'd enjoy a day of kayaking and/or fishin'. Then maybe I'll go into town and win lotto.
You'll find narrow twisty roads that are paved well.
Old 11-24-17, 09:20 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonc123
You'll find narrow twisty roads that are paved well.
Where I'll find a nice woman like my Aunt Betty on bicycle?
Old 11-24-17, 09:38 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Neat. Haven't been able to find out about duration of car parking permitted at Clinton, MO or any place else on the trail.
Here's most of what you need to know about the Katy Trail.

Parking at Clinton should be no problem. There is parking at the Clinton community center approx. 2 blocks from trail head. You fill out a form inside, the lot is lit and police patrol it some. They will call you if there is any problem or if you pick up your car early without telling them.

I've ridden the Katy Trail end-to-end for the past 8 years. Part of the new Rock Island trail intersects the Katy at Windsor. I've only done 10 miles of it so far.
Old 11-24-17, 09:50 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Pretty difficult to ride on parallel roads near the Katy. There are a few, Hwy 94 comes to mind, but mostly the Katy is out in the boonies and not near parallel roads. The part near the Missouri River isn't even wide enough to have both a road and trail at the same time for many miles. You'd have to ride up on the bluffs which is really hilly. Really Hilly.

Hwy 94 is mostly a 2-lane highway with fast traffic. I avoid riding on it in the daylight, much less at night. Ironically it is used at night for RAAM (Race Across AMerica) in June; however, these cyclists are trailed by support vehicles with flashing lights so that drivers at least know that something is going on ahead.

It can be hot and humid on the Katy during the summer months. The trick is to get going early and ride while it's cool still. I had one day where the temp was forecasted to be 103°F. I was on the trail at 5 am.

If you would like a supported ride, here's the one that I do.
https://mostateparks.com/2017ktride
In 2018 we should start in St. Charles as it switches directions every year.
Old 11-24-17, 09:55 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Here's most of what you need to know about the Katy Trail.

Parking at Clinton should be no problem. There is parking at the Clinton community center approx. 2 blocks from trail head. You fill out a form inside, the lot is lit and police patrol it some. They will call you if there is any problem or if you pick up your car early without telling them.

I've ridden the Katy Trail end-to-end for the past 8 years. Part of the new Rock Island trail intersects the Katy at Windsor. I've only done 10 miles of it so far.
I do appreciate the assistance. I am changing my mind about specifics because I really think I can meet my Vana White so to speak in the Ozarks (single 38 year old man). How funny will it be when I ride around a town to be named later to find a princess I met previously? I ain't' messin' with doing the wrong thang' though.

Looks like maybe parking won't be a problem in several places. So, maybe just about 50-70 miles on the Katy, then off at McKittrick. McKittrick/Hermann looks nice though not of my particular ethnic flavor. So, maybe I can catch a funny movie there before shut eye. Then I have to work to get to the Ozarks. Narrow, twisty, well-paved roads, and it looks like I'll be doing some climbing. I'm going to be diesel.
Old 11-24-17, 10:59 AM
eric044

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could camp in Klondike or stick with McKittrick, then back west, then to the car, then drive to perfection and go floatin'.

Last edited by eric044; 11-24-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-26-17, 01:01 AM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Could camp in Klondike or stick with McKittrick, then back west, then to the car, then drive to perfection and go floatin'.
Reading your first post again, why Missouri?
Old 11-26-17, 10:21 AM
Sharpshin

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing that concerns me is all the apparent goals and expectations with regards to your upcoming trip, especially with regards to romantic outcomes.

This thing is best approached as a bicycle trip, nothing more. A given woman may or may not be impressed.
Old 11-27-17, 06:33 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's the way to find a woman, a stinky biker trying to pick one up.

It could work. I met my wife hiking on a trail. I was probably stinky too.

Our first trip many years ago, I had met her just a few times prior to this. We went backpacking in Arkansas, Buffalo River.

Old 11-27-17, 08:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
This sort of thread makes me miss Squeeze.
...almost.
Old 11-28-17, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I am changing my mind about specifics because I really think I can meet my Vana White so to speak in the Ozarks (single 38 year old man).

Vana White looks nothing like a 38 year old man on my TV. Maybe it's time for a new one.
Old 11-28-17, 02:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This sort of thread makes me miss Squeeze.
...almost.
You left out xxxzzz111, etc., etc., etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.