Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trespassing/Stealth Camping in Washington State

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trespassing/Stealth Camping in Washington State

Old 08-11-12, 01:04 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
State Forests
County Parks
Fishing Access Sites

Not technically "stealth" but often free or very cheap.
Requires a bit of homework.
Yeah, once went car tent-camping in a South Virginia state park area: designated campground yet no fee, turns out it was sort of for equestrians so a fair amount of horse poop to walk around. Even on East Coast area huge National Forest/state park areas with AFAIK liberal camping policies. Was in late fall, only person I ran into was a local bear-hunter asking if I had seen his dog run by. Another time went auto tent-camping in mid-July to Adirondacks area with no idea about parks/policies but away from the closer populated spots & it was deserted. Drove up the parkway & picked a secluded spot to camp out. funny thing was that there was an actual toilet (in the middle of nowhere, outside) next to the campground. Must have been a hunters' area. Even near super-pricey Aspen CO I went stealth auto-tent camping in September in a (federal?) park & it was free of cost & other campers. Met a local hippie who gave a guided tour to the local history spots.
Old 08-12-12, 04:58 PM
fourmajor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am feeling pretty good about our camping possibilities now.

As for why we are going to all of those places, we are trying to decide where to live, start a farm, physical therapy business, and family. Also looking for existing intentional communities. In short, looking where to spend the rest of our lives.

So, the route itself that Google chose may not be the one we actually take. But we'll probably go to most of those towns and cities. We'll probably also make a few detours to see some more beautiful areas.
Old 08-16-12, 11:06 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends how close you are to the massive pot farms. They always have trees by them. Unfortunately, they usually have guys with guns too...

Originally Posted by zoltani
Sure they do.

On the flip side of the ground cover problem in western WA, i imagine it is hard to find trees to hang a hammock in eastern WA.
Old 08-28-12, 04:16 AM
dmpstrdvr1962

Bikes: 2002ish Colnago CT1 Mapei team edition, 1989 Tomassini Diamante, w/Mavic Classics tubulars, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar2, 1998 Bontrager Privateer "rasta colors", 1993 Gary Fisher Prometheus, 1987 Bianchi Grizzly in Celeste, Bontrager B-52 24BMX cruiser,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll chime in, I did a bike tour through the Washington, from Tacoma area to Seattle, out to the San Juan islands. I stealth camped several times. Just look for grown over gate paths leading into forested tracks. Or logging roads, and then back off into the shrubery, out of sight, out of mind. I also stopped and asked a local farmer if I could spend the night on his property. He had no problems, his biggest concern being fires. I have stealth camped throughout Europe, never any problems, and in multiple states in the US. out of sight-out of mind
Old 08-28-12, 04:32 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'll add a little bit of info, chime in. I'm pretty familiar with the west half of Washington state by bike.

I had several favorite abandoned campgrounds I would camp at.

You'll have to sniff hard to search then out, ( there is an easy way to find them using maps) but there's a number of them scattered about on several key routes in Washington.

Some still have picnic tables in overgrown disarray to utilize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
picnic table 2.jpg (100.1 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-28-12 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 05:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
The problem I see with wild camping in washington is the ground cover, it is often so thick it is hard to find a spot for a tent. Now if you have a hammock then it is a different story.
+1 at least in the wetter parts of the state. The eastern portion is very different, being quite dry.
Also in a lot of the places I rode through there there were very few places that were even remotely flat in a large enough area for even my bivy. I am not a hammock fan, but if most of my camping was there, I'd probably use one.
Old 06-25-18, 11:05 AM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I am currently stealth in Spokane Valley Wa. I have a few things to say... Stay low. Brush in. Be forever vigilant in security of self and your gear. Now being stealth is not the same as homeless... But locals civilian and law enforcement both will assume you are here if found. Politeness matters as well as sober judgement. Be safe and keep chasing them front spokes.
Old 06-25-18, 02:13 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Six year old thread????
Old 06-25-18, 03:39 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Don't trespass. Ask permission. How much simpler can it get?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-25-18, 03:46 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Don't trespass. Ask permission. How much simpler can it get?

Six year old thread! The OP is likely long gone.
Old 06-26-18, 10:08 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Six year old thread! The OP is likely long gone.
There's never a bad time to remind people to ask permission before using private property. Besides, meeting farmers and rural property owners is a great way to get to know a place and get a feel for what goes on there. The vast majority of the time you'll not only get permission, but you'll get good info on the surrounding area, bits of local history, and offers of hospitality.
Trespass and you'll get a far less friendly reception, to say nothing of potentially damaging someone's property or blindly walking into some sort of hazard.

Old 06-26-18, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam.. Northern-most Europe, Scandinavia, is better at this..

Old 06-27-18, 12:58 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam.. Northern-most Europe, Scandinavia, is better at this...
Assuming you don't respect private property rights, I suppose.

Old 06-27-18, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Assuming you don't respect private property rights, I suppose.
Think you missed that. The link discusses the lack of exclusionary private property rights in certain cases.

E.g., Like other Nordic countries Icelandic law contains a version of the freedom to roam, the right to access uncultivated land, camp there, pick berries, and in some months even light a campfire. "It is permissible to cross uncultivated private property without seeking any special permission, but landowners may limit routes with signs or other marks. State-owned land such as conservation areas and forestry areas are open to everyone with few exceptions. These exceptions include – but are not limited to – access during breeding seasons or during sensitive growth periods".[
Old 06-27-18, 03:08 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Think you missed that. The link discusses the lack of exclusionary private property rights in certain cases.
My take on this tends to be a compare/contrast between three fairly different places I've bicycled:

-- In Texas and much of the eastern USA, there isn't as much public land. Hence, even in areas that are sparsely populated it can be difficult to find impromptu places along the way to camp
-- In western states of the USA, there are more public lands such as that administered by National Forest Service or the BLM. While not all, some of this public land essentially allows light uses like wild camping. It then also becomes easier as a bicycle tourist to have impromptu places along the way to camp
-- While not mentioned in the article, in my experience bicycling across Russia it was fairly common both for myself and others along the way to camp alongside the road. My perception was that most of this land was also public lands - i.e. once owned by the state and even after private property rights were introduced, not economically viable enough to become restricted.

So while I respect private property rights and get permission before camping - I also like areas/countries that have public lands (i.e. no private property) and allow some amount of light use (*). I took the "freedom to roam" at least as much as advocating more lands that enabled this, than an explicit call to violate private property rights.

(*) Clearly that can get abused, but in those cases, sometimes additional rules come into play such as restrictions on ATVs or similar situations.
Old 06-28-18, 03:02 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Think you missed that. The link discusses the lack of exclusionary private property rights in certain cases.[
I didn't miss that, I just don't think their law fully respects private property rights.

Getting back to the OP, however, given that you are in the US, and that many (if not most) property owners believe they have a right to control what goes on on the land they own, it is best to ask permission. I'd go so far to say that regardless of legal status, it is impolite, unethical, and potentially immoral to use someone else's property without permission or extenuating circumstances. Asking permission or finding public land requires such a minimum of planning and effort in most cases, it's hard to justify not doing that.

BB

Old 06-28-18, 04:39 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
I am currently stealth in Spokane Valley Wa. I have a few things to say... Stay low. Brush in. Be forever vigilant in security of self and your gear. Now being stealth is not the same as homeless... But locals civilian and law enforcement both will assume you are here if found. Politeness matters as well as sober judgement. Be safe and keep chasing them front spokes.
You say to stay low and brush in, be vigilant and secure. Kind of sounds like your doing something wrong rather than right. What a way to live, always looking over your shoulder.
Old 06-28-18, 10:41 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
All I can say is don't try it in Texas.