Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people go to bike races?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people go to bike races?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 11:25 AM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at the niche-ness of a bicycle race:
  1. Must likes racing (anything)
  2. Must like bicycles (small minority)
  3. Must like attending large events
    • With few amenities
    • And be willing to travel to attend
  • Types of Races (downsides)
    • Mountain bikes - Long drives to races outside of cities
    • Velodrome - Typically in urban areas... but very few overall
    • Cyclocross - Long drives to races outside of cities
    • Road Bikes - Very rarely on fully closed roads. If you're following a particular rider, then you get like 5 seconds of experience seeing that person ride.

Compare it to Auto racing:
  1. Must likes racing (anything)
  2. Must like cars (most people)
  3. Must like attending large events
    • And be willing to travel to attend
  • Types of Races (downsides)
    • NASCAR - LOTS of people.
    • Formula X - LOTS of people.
    • Dirt/Funny/etc - Less convenient tracks.
Old 08-05-19, 12:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
My wife sometimes travels with me to my bike races...As long as I can find a spa in the area, so she can get a massage and pedicure while I am riding.
Old 08-31-19, 11:43 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I don’t go to them because I never see any races happening... In my old hometown they held races on weird days, weird hours, etc. I’d be interested but find I missed the event. I don’t see why they would not hold a criterium in the evening...

anyway, the tour of Utah went right by my house last year and I did watch it. Thankfully they had 3-4 laps around the city before finishing the race. So I got to see cyclists going a few times!

My wife would never go anywhere without amenities and I think that holds true for 98% of people. People want to see something relatable, in relative comfort, and they want to see the action as it unfolds.

**id also add that I asked my Dad about this (non cyclist aged 50) and he said that people like TdF before the drug scandals. Everyone like to cheer for lance. But now, even looking at a TdF article it looks unrelatable. The bikes look like alien technology, there is no hope that any kid from your town would be able to try and train and eventually be able to try his hand at TdF unless he was wealthy
Old 08-31-19, 12:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My wife sometimes travels with me to my bike races...As long as I can find a spa in the area, so she can get a massage and pedicure while I am riding.
My wife and I have a tradition with Cherry Pie crit which is in Napa.. I’d race in the morning and then take her to a nice lunch and wine tasting in. the afternoon.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-31-19, 03:01 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
I agree with a few comments in here. While i might be interested in bikes and bike commuting, i am not interested in professional cycling. My way of participating in bike community is going around my college campus talking to fellow people with cool/interesting bikes.
Old 08-31-19, 03:28 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My wife and I have a tradition with Cherry Pie crit which is in Napa.. I’d race in the morning and then take her to a nice lunch and wine tasting in. the afternoon.
I live in Napa. I know plenty of folk in the cycling community here socially and through cycling. I’m active-ish on social media, and I’m frequently in multiple different LBS’s in town. I’ve taken the family to Sacramento for the ToC the last 2 years. But every year, Cherry Pie creeps up on me. I maybe find out a week in advance that it’s on, and my wife has probably already made plans. So I’ve been able to attend it once.

So maybe marketing is part of the issue for many of these races. There may well be cycling enthusiasts out there who don’t even know about the existence of a major cycling event right in their backyard.

i can also testify from my experiences with playing, watching, and organizing tournaments for rugby in the US, it’s hard to get Americans to come out for a sport that isn’t an “American” sport. Even for a national championship game, it’s rare to get much more than competitors and immediate family and friends.
Old 09-01-19, 08:16 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulok
I don’t go to them because I never see any races happening... In my old hometown they held races on weird days, weird hours, etc. I’d be interested but find I missed the event. I don’t see why they would not hold a criterium in the evening...

anyway, the tour of Utah went right by my house last year and I did watch it. Thankfully they had 3-4 laps around the city before finishing the race. So I got to see cyclists going a few times!

My wife would never go anywhere without amenities and I think that holds true for 98% of people. People want to see something relatable, in relative comfort, and they want to see the action as it unfolds.

**id also add that I asked my Dad about this (non cyclist aged 50) and he said that people like TdF before the drug scandals. Everyone like to cheer for lance. But now, even looking at a TdF article it looks unrelatable. The bikes look like alien technology, there is no hope that any kid from your town would be able to try and train and eventually be able to try his hand at TdF unless he was wealthy
That can happen when one gets older.

When I was young (teens, 20s, early 30s) and was excited by racing technology of any sport and any cost, I'd watch it and dream what it would be like to do that sport. I'd do the amateur affordable version whenever possible.

Then as I've paid my way through life (age 54 now), and raised kids (not completed yet), I tend to favor watching things I could afford myself.

Part of it also has to do with crowds of people. When I was young, I was excited to be where all the crowds were. Now, I want to be where the crowds aren't.
Old 09-01-19, 12:50 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
i have absolutely no interest in bike racing....i am just a commuter and recreational rider who rides for fitness and fun.
+1
Old 09-01-19, 03:53 PM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
I agree with others.
Even watching crits is pretty boring.
Road racing is even more boring. I went to the TDU last year. Loved the riding in and around Adelaide, but watching involved seeing the bunch ride by (about 30 seconds or so) before we got on our bikes and went riding again.
Over the course of a week, we probably actually saw about 2 minutes of racing.
Riding back into Adelaide with some of the Astana team was fun though.
The best event I watched was the UCI Track World Championships in Melbourne a number of years ago.
Continuous racing for 2 - 3 hours every night for a week.
Rode every day, then headed to the Velodrome to watch teh racing at night.
Old 09-01-19, 04:19 PM
mac mini 

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The best way to watch a bike race is at a velodrome standing along the rail with a beverage of choice. You can watch the whole race unfold while only being inches away from the riders. Even if you do not understand the race tactics you are able to see the skill, the power of the riders, and the danger. No brakes racing.
Likes For mac mini:
Old 09-01-19, 04:23 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I saw Bernard Hinault on the Champes Elysees when he won the tour in 1979. It was moving. The sprinters who wanted to have the win were trying breaks. It was wonderful seeing 3-10 guys going off the front, all alone on one side and then at the last minute, the peloton would come around the corner. They would always get caught and it came down to the team that had the best lead out train for the sprint.

Thats why I go to bicycle races.

I guess if you havent raced, you dont get it.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 09-01-19, 08:45 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm drinking my coffee looking out my front window, 6:30am Saturday morning. In the past 10 minutes I have seen dozens of cyclists riding in small groups headed east toward the lake. Its become a big thing, particularly in the last 4-5 years, riding Sheridan rd. north thru Chicago's north shore burbs. I jump in with groups as well. Some get 30-40 riders strong. I would say that cycling is booming in my area.

Flash back to my youth, when I was a young teenager. There was a local bike race a few suburbs over from me. About a 6-7 mile ride from my house. My friends and I rode to it for several years in a row. It was a highlite of the summer. Located in a posh suburb the race took place circling a man made lake and adjoining city park. It was an idyllic little setting. The park had pedal boats, a boathouse, and real grass tennis courts. Going to the races there was a treat. Cyclists set out blankets around the park, with their bike and gear bags and support crew, munching on fruit, granola, and chugging down water. Oh and along with the racing an ice cream social was part of the event. Locals came out for an ice cream cone and catch a bike race or two. And every local bike enthusiast was there. In the lingo of the day, it was a "happening".

This past Thursday my cycling buddy and I took in a race, one of the Intelligentsia Cup races. We went after work and caught the end of the womens race, and the Pro 1,2 race. Both were exciting. But it was a very lonely experience. There was no one there but the cyclists competing. Basicly it was the Police and city workers milling about, a few racers, and a few residents from the neighborhood it was being held in, very, very few. By the end of the mens Pro race I think it was just me and my friend. And I have experienced this at other races as well. No one shows up!

So with cycling participation booming, and the following the TDF appears to have, why no local support for the racing scene? To see a race live is awesome. The race, the bikes, and what should be a gathering of cycling enthusiasts...Why no interest?

In the USA, bicycles are considered toys by the average person. For me, the defrocking of Lance Armstrong for doing what was done as common place and the bad boy, low class behavior of professional cyclists in general leaves me disinterested. And I was a competitive cyclist and might still be in some cases.
Old 09-01-19, 09:25 PM
Paul Ko

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In EU or USA, the situation is much much better than Korea!!
Old 09-02-19, 06:09 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
It's been an extra busy holiday weekend this year, so may not make one. One chance left today, but I've typically enjoyed more than one of the Gateway cup races a year. Four races in four days in four prominent older urban neighborhoods featuring each neighborhoods local park. I'll usually plan my ride of the day to hit one. They seem to be reasonably well attended for what I would consider a niche sport with few if any household names in the competition. Certainly not a lonely place as I saw described in another post. Also will add the only reason I know of the races is that I ride those neighborhoods regularly and see the signs in the parks....
Old 09-02-19, 10:38 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
No races with-in cycling distance of me.
(No car by choice.)
Old 09-03-19, 03:22 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
All too often, cycling enthusiasts expend more time and energy and effort trying to keep people out of the sport rather than drawing them in. Cyclists are some of the biggest snobs on the planet. No wonder riders and organizers make no effort to expand the sport's popularity.
Old 09-04-19, 02:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I saw Bernard Hinault on the Champes Elysees when he won the tour in 1979. It was moving. The sprinters who wanted to have the win were trying breaks. It was wonderful seeing 3-10 guys going off the front, all alone on one side and then at the last minute, the peloton would come around the corner. They would always get caught and it came down to the team that had the best lead out train for the sprint.

Thats why I go to bicycle races.

I guess if you havent raced, you dont get it.
+1
The 2011 TdF finish on the Champs Elysees. We were on a 3-month, 3,000 mile self supported ride through Europe, and scheduled a doctor's appoint I needed to make in Paris for the finish of the tour.

My wife and I got there early enough to get a front row place about 200 feet from the finish line. Watching 8 action packed laps around the Champs Elysess is very exciting.

It was great

The crowd was an important part of the larger picture.

Criteriums are also fun to watch, actually they are more fun to ride. I was a mediocre racer in my younger years.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-04-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 02:34 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I also believe CX is a great sport to watch. It is not boring! Our son raced CX so we saw a lot of it.

Fortunately most of the crashes do not cause serious injuries.
Old 09-04-19, 02:54 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
All too often, cycling enthusiasts expend more time and energy and effort trying to keep people out of the sport rather than drawing them in. Cyclists are some of the biggest snobs on the planet. No wonder riders and organizers make no effort to expand the sport's popularity.
I've seen this - local bike club tried to do outreach, did a lunchtime presentation. I went. After a whole canned presentation about how anyone can do it, the guy they sent then claims that in order to go on their group rides, someone should have at least the current 105 group. Absolutely no relation between the groupset and a rider's speed, he seemed to feel he needed to set a prestige gate for some reason.

BMX racing (BMX USA and BMX Canada sanctions are my experience) is a completely different kettle of fish - the only place you'll be encouraged to spend money is protective gear, the message is very consistently - "come try it on the bike you've got". Seems like anyone is welcome to come try it or watch, very fun atmosphere.
Old 09-05-19, 10:42 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I also believe CX is a great sport to watch. It is not boring! Our son raced CX so we saw a lot of it.

Fortunately most of the crashes do not cause serious injuries.
Hah. Racing crits, I'd probably crash once a season. First time I did CX, I crashed once a lap.
Old 09-05-19, 10:54 AM
Tulok

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I've seen this - local bike club tried to do outreach, did a lunchtime presentation. I went. After a whole canned presentation about how anyone can do it, the guy they sent then claims that in order to go on their group rides, someone should have at least the current 105 group. Absolutely no relation between the groupset and a rider's speed, he seemed to feel he needed to set a prestige gate for some reason.

BMX racing (BMX USA and BMX Canada sanctions are my experience) is a completely different kettle of fish - the only place you'll be encouraged to spend money is protective gear, the message is very consistently - "come try it on the bike you've got". Seems like anyone is welcome to come try it or watch, very fun atmosphere.
You should see the way bike shop and clubbers react to someone riding a MTB that doesn’t fit within the new standards...

It’s been commercialized to the point that the majority of people aren’t buying it period.

Keeping a Walmart bike on the road is hard enough for parents. People assume that a more expensive bike will just cost even more to maintain (which isn’t true, as we know). Kind of like a Honda vs a Mercedes-Benz.

In reality th issue is that people leave bikes outside, they suck to ride, they get flat tires and they move onto other things really quickly without ever getting to experience the real fun.
Old 09-05-19, 11:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
what's to see? They go by for a minute and then disappear
Old 09-05-19, 12:08 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Probably for the same reason that:

1) not all car drivers are into auto racing;
2) not all joggers are into marathons;
3) not all walkers are into walking races.