Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sun Protection: What Do You Use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sun Protection: What Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 05:11 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I wonder how the more expensive brands justify the extra cost. The doc martin's is nearly $30 for 2 oz. Coppertone runs around $8 for 8 oz or 1/15th the cost.

The active ingredients are always the same in comparing type vs type, ie. chemical vs mineral based. I currently use mineral based 50 spf, largely because a bottle seems to last so much longer, and I use plenty. The mineral based comes out of the bottle in semi liquid form. The chemical ss has a much thicker consistency. The mineral ss is easily visible and takes a few seconds to blend in, so perhaps that's why I'm using a bit less?

If the SPF is the same (and copper tone doesn't charge more for higher SPF), then the percentages of the active ingredients should be the same as well.

Regardless, copper tone has worked best for me. I've tried the other high rated sunscreens such as walmart's top rated equate, but it didn't seem to work as well as copper tone's, although the Walmart brand is a little less expensive.

I'm hoping the combo of 50 SPF along with a cloth cover is sufficient for sunny summer days. The hats which offer front and side coverage are of course optimal.

When I get an e-bike, I may go full face helmet, yea!
Old 09-17-19, 05:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've been using first 40 SPD, then 50 SPD Banana Boat suncreens for years only with Aloe Vera Gel 40 SPD over, around and on my eyes (eyelids) with apparently good results. (The Aloe Vera Gel does not run and is kind to eyes if it does get in.).

That said, the brims are to be seen every year at Cycle Oregon. I have a summer sun hat that I have worn under my helmet (needed to carry it and I was out of pockets) and found it worked quite well and was comfortable. My challenge is that too much of a brim means I have to lift my head too far to see forward and it gets very tiring for my neck. I am also leary of a wide bneck covering that might affect helmet mirror vision.

Ben
Old 09-17-19, 05:38 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
'Are you a good witch or a bad witch?'

I have considered Da Brim but not quite there yet.

I use Bannana Boat titanium dioxide sunscreen, spf arm covers, a shirt with a collar, and I ride early when possible - home by 0930.
Old 09-17-19, 05:51 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I use Neutrogena SPF 70 and have been out for 7+ hours without getting burned or even notice any darkening. It says re-apply after 180 minutes but it seems to last much longer.

I also use a Pace helmet liner to prevent sun exposure on my scalp and keep sweat from dripping into my eyes.
If you like it that is what counts most but you might wish to recheck the label of Neutrogena SPF 70:

How to Use
  • Apply liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure
  • Reapply:
    • After 80 minutes of swimming or sweating
    • Immediately after towel drying
    • At least every 2 hours
The above is standard for virtually all sunscreen products...reapply every 80 minutes. Any protection above SPF 30 is pretty much minuscule. SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 50 blocks 98% and SPF 100 blocks about 99%.of UVB rays.
Old 09-17-19, 05:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sunscreen, but mostly Mexicanidad.
Old 09-17-19, 08:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
None, this summer. Just an experiment. I read a few theories that reduced sugar intake and lower body fat tends to reduce a tendency to sunburn. I figured it would be easy enough to test. I've lost more than 50 lbs since 2001 and 30 since I resumed cycling in 2015. I'm within 3 lbs of my optimal weight, same as my optimal weight in my teens and 20s (I'm 61 now). I've cut way back on the sugar, alcohol, and tend to consume carbs only in conjunction with bike rides or other exercise.

I've tended to sunburn easily so I figured the new theory would flop my first ride in daylight. Figured I'd burn my first ride and need to wear long sleeves for the rest of the summer.

Nope. No burn. I've ridden up to 4 hours in midday Texas summer sun this year, several times. My arms are moderately tanned, but my legs are still barely tanned.

And some recent theories claim there's no evidence that sunscreen prevents skin cancer, or that sunburn necessarily causes skin cancer. Vulnerability to sunburn and skin cancer may have something to do with genetic predisposition to blood sugar disorders.

And nitric oxide helps with energy during bike rides or other exercise. We can't really store up nitric oxide, the body produces it on the fly as needed from other nutrients such as l-arginine. So I've been adding a little more amino acid supplements and riding without sunscreen.

So far, so good. But I'm not quite ready to claim these theories are credible. I was just curious to try.

Ask me again in a few years whether I'm needing a dermatologist and oncologist.
Old 09-17-19, 09:38 PM
radroad

Tanning is a sign of UV damage.
Old 09-17-19, 10:00 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Tanning is a sign of UV damage.
It's a sign of the body defending itself against UV energy. And the more people are subjected to it, over the more time, over the more generations, the more their bodies produce the melanin to barrier the UV.
Old 09-17-19, 10:19 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
It's a sign of the body defending itself against UV energy. And the more people are subjected to it, over the more time, over the more generations, the more their bodies produce the melanin to barrier the UV.
The strongest tan provides at most a level of protection around spf 3. That's a best case scenario. In effect, a tan offers virtually zero protection.

UV is a carcinogen.
Old 09-18-19, 04:49 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Agree with radroad on uv.
Old 09-18-19, 06:25 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I wonder how the more expensive brands justify the extra cost. The doc martin's is nearly $30 for 2 oz. Coppertone runs around $8 for 8 oz or 1/15th the cost.
When I get an e-bike, I may go full face helmet, yea!
High price is why I only use Doc Martin's near my eyes. Every other product that I have tried over the decades burns my eyes (even BullFrog).
Old 09-18-19, 06:38 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I don't live in super hot climate, and I also usually ride early enough to miss the sun's peak hours. I find that I am fine using arm covers, and even leg covers for up to 25C. I do apply Spf 50 on my face, neck, and back of hands, because by the end of the ride the sun is pretty intense.

If it's any warmer than that or if there's high humidity, then I have little choice but to use sunscreen. It's a Paula's Choice daily moisturizer cream that is part of the package of skin care products that my wife buys. It's non greasy and goes on like regular moisturizer.
Old 09-18-19, 06:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
What about neck and face gaiters?
Old 09-18-19, 06:53 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The visor on my bike helmet is usually good enough for my face. If the sun isn't shining on my eyes, it's not hitting my face either. Having said that I still apply a light coat of spf30 on high uv days especially on my ears and arms.

As for the back of my neck, sometimes I drape a hand towel behind my helmet.

I used to buy spf 50 but Consumers Report said anything higher than 30 is not as effective as you'd expect (same goes for mosquito repellants over 30% deet).
Old 09-18-19, 09:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

On the last big ride I did, I saw someone with one of these. I thought it was interesting but not for me. My wife thinks I already look dorky enough.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-08-21, 11:30 AM
gcolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head protection

Have used products from Halo Headband for years....a few different options, all protective, easy to wash, keep sweat from dripping down (well, a bit...ha!)

You can look them up online....a bunch of awesome options!
Old 08-08-21, 12:51 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I had a cancer growth removed from my nose last year. One surgeon took a big divot out of my nose and another plastic surgeon reworked my nose. It was really disgusting. Everyday I had to clean and bandage my nose. When the surgeon finally removed the bandage and stitches I commented, "I asked for the Paul Newman, looks like you gave me the Karl Malden". He got the joke. His 20 something assistant had no clue.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 08-08-21, 01:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Nice! It could even offer a little bit of rain protection as well. Da Brim sells a visor as well. The visor + side cover (which they don't cover), might be a nice compromise between the visor and full hat.
I’ve seen more than one person the wearing Da Brim thing that look like one of your photos while touring.
Old 08-08-21, 11:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nearly two years since my previous post to this thread. I still don't use sunscreen or take any precautions in the sun. I still don't burn, and can barely keep a tan. Immediately after a long ride, run or walk in the sun my skin will be a little darker... but it mostly clears up within a day, leaving only a faint tan. No reddening, pain, peeling, etc.

During a 6 mile run this past week I took off the sleeveless shirt I usually wear, for about 30 minutes, to see if there was any change. In midday sun that seemed like a reasonable start, since I used to burn within 15 minutes. This time there was no discernible reddening or tanning on skin that hasn't seen sun in years.

For awhile I wondered whether it had something to do with my changes in diet, non-functioning thyroid and supplements, losing body fat, etc.

Turns out it might be due to the large doses of vitamin D I take two or three times a day to compensate for low serum vitamin D and osteopenia caused by the malfunctioning thyroid and parathyroid.

This study indicates sunburn effects may be reduced by taking massive doses of vitamin D within an hour after exposure.
Vitamin D may improve sunburn, according to new clinical trial
Results show high doses of vitamin D reduce swelling, inflammation
Date:
July 6, 2017
Source:
Case Western Reserve University
Summary:
High doses of vitamin D taken one hour after sunburn significantly reduce skin redness, swelling, and inflammation, according to double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
Originally Posted by canklecat
None, this summer. Just an experiment. I read a few theories that reduced sugar intake and lower body fat tends to reduce a tendency to sunburn. I figured it would be easy enough to test. I've lost more than 50 lbs since 2001 and 30 since I resumed cycling in 2015. I'm within 3 lbs of my optimal weight, same as my optimal weight in my teens and 20s (I'm 61 now). I've cut way back on the sugar, alcohol, and tend to consume carbs only in conjunction with bike rides or other exercise.

I've tended to sunburn easily so I figured the new theory would flop my first ride in daylight. Figured I'd burn my first ride and need to wear long sleeves for the rest of the summer.

Nope. No burn. I've ridden up to 4 hours in midday Texas summer sun this year, several times. My arms are moderately tanned, but my legs are still barely tanned.

And some recent theories claim there's no evidence that sunscreen prevents skin cancer, or that sunburn necessarily causes skin cancer. Vulnerability to sunburn and skin cancer may have something to do with genetic predisposition to blood sugar disorders.

And nitric oxide helps with energy during bike rides or other exercise. We can't really store up nitric oxide, the body produces it on the fly as needed from other nutrients such as l-arginine. So I've been adding a little more amino acid supplements and riding without sunscreen.

So far, so good. But I'm not quite ready to claim these theories are credible. I was just curious to try.

Ask me again in a few years whether I'm needing a dermatologist and oncologist.
Old 08-09-21, 09:25 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
That No-Ad sunscreen always gets good reviews but I've always found it really greasy. I'm a ginger with personal & family history so my morning ritual is to use sunscreen every day. This Aveno daily moisturizer is broad spectrum and non greasy with a mild but pleasant fragrance. The SPF of 15 doesn't look that impressive but I've read that's often inflated anyway. The only knock I have on it is it really burns when you get "creep" into the eyes after being on for the day, but they all do that.

not so much night, but I prefer late afternoon rides ending at dusk. When DST ends though, our evening group rides become night-time rides.

I use the same stuff. Always in the sun on rides here in northern Ca. Works well. I filled a small tube and have it in my bike pack and reapply on rides over 2 hours. Not greasy at all.
Old 08-10-21, 05:17 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
No-Ad is good stuff.
Unfortunately, my eyes don't like No-Ad. I use it for the beach, but when I'm active I use Banana Boat Kids. YMMV

I haven't tried the sun arm covers, that looks good for arms, but for face I would prefer to stick to sunscreen. If I was on a multi-day trip, one of the hats shown would probably be needed, or maybe for the desert? Rides around here are rarely in full sun for more than a few minutes to half an hour, maybe.
Old 08-10-21, 12:09 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
On the last big ride I did, I saw someone with one of these. I thought it was interesting but not for me. My wife thinks I already look dorky enough.
A friend recently got one of those in LIME GREEN. She can be seen. It looks a bit dorky at first but then you get use to seeing it. She says she does feel stronger winds and it was not easy getting it attached so it stayed in place.
Old 08-14-21, 07:53 AM
Hentze

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50 in strength does the job