Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cold weather shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cold weather shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 10:56 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I had been leery about spending a lot on shoes that I wasn't sure would work for me or not, but I got a great deal on 'scuffed' (honestly, I looked for the supposed defect and couldn't find it) Fizik X5 Artica shoes.

I have pretty bad circulation, and I'm from AZ, so I hate cold. These work great.

Currently unavailable on Amazon, but there is probably a more current model. I would now pay full price (~$200) for a pair, knowing how well they work. I suspect these will last me several winters, though (hell, my old Shimano MTB shoes are 10 years old now, and still great after thousands of miles).Current model seems to be the R5
https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-R5-Arti...R3SV178GRANBSW
Old 10-22-20, 12:56 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
I'm thinking a lot more about the 45nrth ragnarok shoes. I want to be able to clip in and ride for a few hours. Plus they sell them at REI, so if they suck there is that return policy. I see a lot of comments about hiking boots. I wanna be able to clip on on my road/gravel/adventure...its a bike. If you really need boots and want to clip on there are some 45nrth boots..
they do have clips but they are not as stiff as just using quality MTB shoes with a full cover and they cost a ton , and you can only really use them for that one specific purpose , if you invest in a quality shoe and cover you can use them year round !
Old 10-22-20, 12:57 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes there is. There are plenty of winter specific boots out there that are warm enough to ride for many hours in sub zero temps....The biggest problem is clipless pedals and cleated shoes which are not designed for cold weather riding. The best way to keep warm is platform pedals with winter specific boots and wool socks.
thats not true at all , , a platform pedal will put more pressure on the bottom of the foot and restricted blood causing colder feet , there really is no cycling boot that is worth the money , better off using high quality shoes and covers with a heating element !
Old 10-22-20, 08:30 AM
BrNorton007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice!
Old 10-24-20, 12:57 PM
Ironskillet

Bikes: Rossin quadro, motobecane beater

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I’m a big fan of the palladium pampa boots- not stupidly big, nice grippy soles for ice and salt in Chicago. The toe is rubberized too. I’ve had leather and canvas pairs- usually less than 100 bucks. Hit them with some waterproofing spray and they’re good for the winter. This, paired with a wool sock of course.
Old 10-24-20, 03:25 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve used Shimano winter boots, Lakes and now Wölvhammer.
The Shimanos weren’t bad. The neoprene cuffs did a decent job of keeping rain out. Slow to dry made them real stink factories.
The Lakes were somewhat better than Shimano due to a better fit.
Roomy where they needed to be w/o excess space elsewhere.
The Lakes were also fairly slick and slim compared to the Wölvhammers. The Wölvhammers are great as boots, I would happily buy another pair to use as winter boots in general. Entirely possibly to ride in although they look very bulky.
In a way, as a purchase, the Wölvhammers were a bit of a failure, as my toes still got numb. And with my latest version of heated soles using an industrial heating element, I can keep my toes going even in the mostly retired old Shimano winter boots. Had I known tha earlier I could have saved myself a pretty penny.
Old 10-24-20, 03:35 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
For me, cold-weather shoes are just regular-weather shoes but sized, large enough, to accommodate cold-weather socks - thick socks with high wool content (at least 85-percent wool). Neoprene shoes, such as scuba booties, will be plenty warm but make your feet sweat (stink).
Likes For Nyah:
Old 10-25-20, 06:45 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Did a ride today with my regular shoes and a neoprene shoe cover. I was cold at the end and it was between 45 and 50. I pulled the trigger on the 45nrth ragnarok. Hoping ill be able to push down to the 30s ok.
Old 11-02-20, 07:36 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm going for some Lake's - if I can find them
Old 11-02-20, 08:28 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
It has not been too cold but I did a morning commute in the 45s while very short I didn't get cold feet. I did like the lakes but I'm a suckered for REI and there return policy.
Old 11-02-20, 08:44 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
I acquired a second-hand pair of Ragnorok transition shoes from my brother-in-law and look forward to wearing them next week as it appears that snow and cold are on the way. I'm only counting on them during the shoulder season here and will switch to my Merrell winter boots with heated Thermacell insoles to keep my feet warm and toasty on really frigid days.
Old 11-03-20, 10:50 AM
zerogravitas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Castelli' half 'toe-thingies' down to almost freezing, paired with decent winter fleece tights and good thick socks. They are more breatjable than full booties for clipless pedals/shoes, and lot less faff to put on and off. For wetter and colder conditions I would probably use full botties and/or mtb winter boots though.