Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will My Bike Float?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Will My Bike Float?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 07:03 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
To be as pedantic as before in this thread: You didn't fill it up with helium, you displaced the air with helium.

I, personally had a long think about it, and just bought* two packrafts. They weigh a bit (but not much), but I don't have to float around waiting for rescue. Now, where did I put my Torqeedo motor.

*No, obviously not for real.

Actually, no, I didn't displace the air.

I was concerned about the Helium and Oxygen mixing, diluting, and thus rendinging my floatation less effective.

Thus as Step-1, I vaccummed out all the air to create a void.

Step-2 was injecting pure helium. ...and OMG, if I tell you how many balloons that took! I got banned at ShopRite and had to finish the job with balloons from Walgreens.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 11-04-20, 04:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
LOL, he meant falling over board?
No, I was actually thinking about the ferry going down. The chances of it going overboard, they way it is stored, are really small. Af it if did go over with the ferry in motion, that would certainly be the end of it.

I was just thinking about various scenarios in my head. As I mentioned, I'm always toward the front, right behind the bulkhead doors that they usually close up before the ferry gets underway (I'm a LIFO, last in first out, kind of traveler). Sometimes I like to think I could pull a George Costanza and push the women and children out of the way, or just worry about my bike, but I know I'd really try to be rather helpful. Actually, the real (all seriousness here) question is if it is better to open the sealed bulkhead doors if it really were starting to sink, or keep them closed. They open outward, so you would likely only have one chance to do it immediately. But then the east river isn't that deep. Was it designed to create an air pocket if something happens? I really doubt it...
Old 11-04-20, 04:52 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
No, I was actually thinking about the ferry going down. The chances of it going overboard, they way it is stored, are really small. Af it if did go over with the ferry in motion, that would certainly be the end of it.

I was just thinking about various scenarios in my head. As I mentioned, I'm always toward the front, right behind the bulkhead doors that they usually close up before the ferry gets underway (I'm a LIFO, last in first out, kind of traveler). Sometimes I like to think I could pull a George Costanza and push the women and children out of the way, or just worry about my bike, but I know I'd really try to be rather helpful. Actually, the real (all seriousness here) question is if it is better to open the sealed bulkhead doors if it really were starting to sink, or keep them closed. They open outward, so you would likely only have one chance to do it immediately. But then the east river isn't that deep. Was it designed to create an air pocket if something happens? I really doubt it...
Ah! so I wasn't wrong when I thought "sinking".
As for the door, it probably opens outward to be sure it can withstand pressure and still be air/watertight - be it from waves or sinking. That's also what one does on sailboats: You make sure the cockpit hatch (or any big hatch, really) opens outwards. Just like most car doors are hinged at the front and not the back. There's a reason the doors hinged at the back are called "suicide doors": You can open them while the car is moving fast (unless they have an electronic lock that prevents this as in the RR Wraith etc.). Forward hinged doors provide quite the resistance at highway speeds if you attempt to open them while on the highway (try it, it's really hard).
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-04-20, 04:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo

Oh... you were concerned with it sinking!

Depends on where you are so different countries might be different. But I'd think that the ferry operator will wind up having to compensate each passenger for a variety of things if the ferry sunk. There are limits to amounts of the compensation and maybe those limits reflect amounts closer to what was due in the times the America's were being colonized than today. But probably it will be enough to get you a new bike and your dry cleaning bill for the clothes you had on if you got wet too.

Maybe not, maybe the old pre Columbus common carriage rules that still have a semblance in water and air travel today give them an out. But for things that get attorneys involved, there are set compensations.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-04-20 at 05:00 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-05-20, 07:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
So, to continue the "thought experiment" ... imagine you're on the ferry with your best 14 lb carbon di2 custom built bike and your spouse... suddenly, a great groaning sound emerges from the bilge... um. hmm. never mind.
Old 11-05-20, 07:32 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Cars also "float" in a similar fashion.
I recall that from my youth:

Old 11-05-20, 12:17 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
If Your bike is lighter than a duck it will
float. But beware. That would also mean that Your bike is a witch

Likes For Kovkov:
Old 11-08-20, 12:21 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
If Your bike is lighter than a duck it will
float. But beware. That would also mean that Your bike is a witch

https://youtu.be/X2xlQaimsGg
Id been meaning to make this reply!

Also made of wood.
Likes For Mista Sparkle: