Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New Old Fixie

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 06:36 PM
Brian44t

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX3, 2021 Motobecane UNO OUTCAST PRO, Surly Steamroller Fixed Gear, Raleigh 3 Speed Lightweight Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
New Old Fixie

I recently acquired my first fixed gear bike and I am liking it. It is a an older, beat up, SE Draft Lite with flip flop hub. It is probably several sizes too big at 56 cm, the seat needs to be all the way down. The freewheel seems to skip and catch once in a while but riding the fixed sprocket is a new and interesting experience.

Not sure what I am going to do, ride it as is, find a smaller frame, or purchase a new bike of similar quality and sell this one. Thoughts? Opinions on the current crop of fixed gear bikes costing less than $300?

Old 11-14-20, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
A bike that fits is of upmost importance. SE's are not known as quality bikes or anything but even if it was the finest bike in the world if it didn't fit it doesn't matter. If you enjoy riding a fixed gear or single speed then get one that fits and if you know you really love it spend the money on something nice.

As far as bike in under $300 you might as well spin the bottle it really doesn't matter a ton at that price point. Certainly if you spent a bit more you could get more but usually at those prices they are all equal in lack of quality. Sometimes you might get slightly lucky and find something on sale or used (again in your size that fits you) which might have some nicer parts but beyond that it is a cheap bike at best.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-15-20, 06:38 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I recently re-discovered the joys of riding Single Speeds (again). I made some ergo changes (swapped drops for bull-horns) that made my once dust collecting Langster into may favourite solo-ride bike.

My geared-bikes started collecting dust so I ended up trading one of them for another SS and never looked back.

I agree with veganbikes that fit matters and your bike is too big. Since you probably didn't spend too much for it you could probably get your money back selling it. Buy one that fits you and ride on.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-16-20, 07:07 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Just as in buying houses where the experts say location, location, location the same is true for bikes and fit. I totally agree with veganbikes. You can ride a bike that is too small by changing up components, but when the bike's too big, it is just too big.
Old 11-18-20, 03:06 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
slam stems not saddles. might want to find a frame that fits can't be comfortable dismounting.
Old 11-18-20, 03:19 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I recently re-discovered the joys of riding Single Speeds (again). I made some ergo changes (swapped drops for bull-horns) that made my once dust collecting Langster into may favourite solo-ride bike.

My geared-bikes started collecting dust so I ended up trading one of them for another SS and never looked back.

I agree with veganbikes that fit matters and your bike is too big. Since you probably didn't spend too much for it you could probably get your money back selling it. Buy one that fits you and ride on.....
Definitely go bull horns. Most definitely....... https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/1217...aero-bars.html

on a serious note, i just switched to freehweeling with a coaster brake. love keeping the braking surface out of the mud!
Old 11-18-20, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I did like my aero base bars, it was a fun ride and I may do it again. Those Zipp Vuka Aluminas were quite nice hence why I love the Service Course SL-70 ergos with a similar flat profile on the tops. Some of the "bullhorns" are just round bars and I am not a fan of round bars I like a good ergonomic profile even if sometimes those ergonomics are maybe a touch more for aero than anything else. I like my hands to be comfy.

I wouldn't want to ride with a coaster brake unless on a beach cruiser or if I was doing some Mt. Tam MTB L'eroica and even then I would opt for a Breezer #1 style bike. I either want a flip flop hub or good brakes and coasters offer none of that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-19-20, 12:05 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
The size of the SE frame is 56cm (stand-over 799mm) for height 178 ÷ 184 (± 2cm). I have a SE Tripel Matte Black 58cm for my height of 182 cm, too, fits and does not seem too big, but just right. At 56cm for my height, I would push the saddle too far. The bike with three planetary speeds I converted to fixed gear 42/18 = 2.33 for winter riding Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 studs front (28 "x 1.35 / 35-622). Rear tire Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 studs (28 "x 1.60 / 42-622), RaceG. A small drawback is the 42E front chainring. That is, the gears can only be changed by replacing the rear sprockets. But if you put a system with bonks and BCDs, then you can play with the size of the chainring.
Likes For y0x8:
Old 11-20-20, 12:06 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I would not ride a bike with a seat tube shoved all the way down like that. Looks aren't everything but I wouldn't walk around with my pants hem 6 inches above my ankles either. As others have said, buy a bike that fits.
Old 11-20-20, 03:34 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
I don't like the shape of the mountain bike frame and the long seat tube stem. With a mountain bike, this is so necessary for downhill. For the road, the classic frame style is better. When falls (very rare), I always fall on my side, rather than jumping eggs onto the frame. This is my habit.
Old 11-20-20, 08:40 AM
Brian44t

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX3, 2021 Motobecane UNO OUTCAST PRO, Surly Steamroller Fixed Gear, Raleigh 3 Speed Lightweight Custom

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
How much seat tube should show?

I have a couple of vintage Schwinn 10 speeds that would work for conversion to fixed gear. A 21” red 1984 World and a 19" 1978 Traveler III. Being not real tall I am used to dealing with top tubes higher than my inseam. But, at my age, with my back, I do not like the ass in the air style that comes with smaller frames or seems to be stylish these days.

I was hesitant to modify the Traveler as it is totally original and barely used but I am wondering how often I would actually ride a steel wheel 10 speed even though I wanted one badly in Junior High.

The seat posts that come with these old Schwinn’s are quite short. I believe my Raleigh 3 speeds are 21” frames as well so it would feel familiar.

Last edited by Brian44t; 11-20-20 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Better pics and description