Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped hydraulic hose entry threads - Ultegra ST-R8020 lever ruined?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-02-20, 04:18 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts

I was installing a new hose/olive on my Ultegra R8020 lever, and accidentally had the fixing bolt cross-threaded. The female threads on the lever itself are shredded. I can’t see any way to remove/replace this section of the lever. Is it shot? Do I need a new lever now?
Old 12-02-20, 04:37 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I'm not an expert on these but would a replacement female part be #15 & #9 in the diagram? EV-ST-R8020-4245D.pdf (shimano.com) If yes do a search using the Shimano part # and buy from a shop or online.
Old 12-02-20, 04:42 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'm not an expert on these but would a replacement female part be #15 & #9 in the diagram? EV-ST-R8020-4245D.pdf (shimano.com) If yes do a search using the Shimano part # and buy from a shop or online.
Thanks for that handy diagram! Unfortunately the threads are in that part of the shifter body that #15 and #9 go in to, I believe.
Old 12-02-20, 04:51 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Are the female threads plastic or metal? I have never seen one of these in the flesh but I'm pretty sure either way it could be repaired with possibly a "threadsert" repair kit for metal or a good quality plastic filler for plastic car and motorcycle body parts which would require drilling and tapping new threads. First you could also heat up a proper sized threaded bolt and try to melt new threads into place. May be a little tricky but possible.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 12-02-20 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 12-02-20, 05:31 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Are the female threads plastic or metal? I have never seen one of these in the flesh but I'm pretty sure either way it could be repaired with possibly a "threadsert" repair kit for metal or a good quality plastic filler for plastic car and motorcycle body parts which would require drilling and tapping new threads. First you could also heat up a proper sized threaded bolt and try to melt new threads into place. May be a little tricky but possible.
It seems like a sleeve of metal threads bonded to the plastic shifter body, but they might be hard plastic. But with a 5 N-m torque spec, they seem like they have to be metal?

It’s hard to tell because there is a light coating of hydraulic fluid in the opening now. I don’t have a ton of experience with hydraulic brakes, so this is a new level of frustration for me. I’m a 1990’s bike shop mechanic.

the other issues is that there is a termination point for the hose that is designed to crush the brass “olive” on to the hose when the bolt is tightened. So I’m not sure I can do much with repair compounds or re-tapping without affecting this area.