Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 01-03-21, 03:54 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Don't know if anybody mentioned it yet or not but what really lights me up is when an online seller will advertise his "Schwann" or "Trex" or "Trax" bike. Really? The dang name is right there on the downtube! Do these people not know how to read? Sheesh!
Old 01-03-21, 04:10 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Here's something that bugs me and will surely bring a firestorm of flames. It's in the same vein as the rider who will not gear his/her bike down coming into a red light so he/she can take off fast from the green. The rider who keeps trying to get clipped in if he/she incurs some initial problems taking off from the stoplight. Get your a$$ to the other side of the intersection as quickly as possible and then get yourself clipped in for good. You are hanging the people at the back of your group out to dry in the intersection when the light turns back. For this reason I wish all riders rode with flat sided pedals on one of the sides. Rant over.
Practice and double-sided clipless pedals are helpful here. It's toe clips I seem to struggle with.
Old 01-03-21, 04:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
Oh, wait, if it's BF-specific grievances, then I need to add that I really hate any indoor pic of a bike. No, it doesn't look good posed in front of your sofa, stereo system, couch, bed, kitchen table, grungy basement wall.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-21, 05:40 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Oh, wait, if it's BF-specific grievances, then I need to add that I really hate any indoor pic of a bike. No, it doesn't look good posed in front of your sofa, stereo system, couch, bed, kitchen table, grungy basement wall.
That's a bold statement. Here comes the torches and pitchforks.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-03-21, 05:57 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
I'm planning on using my stimulus for a new garage door.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-03-21, 05:58 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
You mean...something like this?

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 01-03-21, 06:10 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm planning on using my stimulus for a new garage door.
Ha Ha,
You must either have a small garage door or you mean the side door to your garage....in any event, you will still be a little short.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 01-03-21, 06:43 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
You mean...something like this?

Sob! That's a bike just screaming to be let outside.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-21, 07:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I've got my share of crappy photos, but every so often, on a nice day, I do bring a camera along just to see what sort of photos I can get.
Sometimes I get one that isn't too bad.....

... but I do use these photos a lot. Most of us have other stuff to do than think about opportunities for creative photos, so I don't much care about garage door photos. I do appreciate the folks that have the instinct and time to be creative.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-03-21, 07:41 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That wasn't my bike. I was pointing out the fork might be bent. Also, the seatpost and stem could have been above the safe install limit line.
I am the owner of the bike in question. The fork is not bent. The original Ritchey seatpost is set well within the safe limit as well as the Nitto stem. Thanks for your concern.
Old 01-03-21, 07:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
some of my own personal pet peeve highlights are:

-no dustcaps on crank arms.
But if I put a dustcap on, you wouldn't be able to see the cool Zeus 2000 titanium bolts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zeus-drillium-crank.jpg (66.5 KB, 321 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-03-21, 07:56 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Thanks Phil and absolutely - I would never grind off a derailleur mount or even a cable guide. This 1990 Ultra will outlive me and I will pass it on someday.
Old 01-03-21, 08:01 PM
Biketiger

Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Biketiger Oh the horror! Well, at least you had the decency to keep those bits on so that someone can rectify your mistakes when you pass on the Ritchey.

In all seriousness, though, this is just my opinion. To each their own, and its good to see that old metal is still being used and abused, just the way it was meant to be.

Edit: sorry to seypat for tagging you.
Thanks Phil and absolutely - I would never grind off a derailleur mount or even a cable guide. This 1990 Ultra will outlive me and I will pass it on someday.
Old 01-03-21, 08:11 PM
Biketiger

Originally Posted by BFisher
Any time one feels compelled to critique bike fit over the internet aimed at a person you not only have never met, but have actually never seen, consider what it sounds like on the receiving end.

"Hi. I don't know you and have never seen you before, but your bicycle setup doesn't look like it would be comfortable for me. I mean, that's not even close to how I see them set up in pictures online, or in the pro racing peloton. From what I think I know about you, I'd say your bike is too big/small, and you are using the wrong handlebars/saddle/cranks. I know you didn't ask, but I just had to say something."

Totally rational, right?
Fisher - I completely agree. It's entertaining to read riders' opinions regarding bikes but critiquing a set-up for a rider you've never seen and no absolutely nothing about is silly and adds nothing to the thread.
Old 01-03-21, 08:47 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Sob! That's a bike just screaming to be let outside.
She does get outside, but only on “special” occasions. That Bottecchia was a gift, new, from my Mom, who passed away 11 years ago.

It has a great deal of sentimental value and so I don’t want to risk anything happening to her. If I could own only one bike, I would gladly give up all my Colnagos.

BTW, I know that some in this thread have objected to calling a bike a “she.” But in Italian, the word for bicycle (bicicletta) is feminine. In the case of Italian bikes, calling them “she” makes perfectly good sense.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 01-03-21, 10:45 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
She does get outside, but only on “special” occasions. That Bottecchia was a gift, new, from my Mom, who passed away 11 years ago.

It has a great deal of sentimental value and so I don’t want to risk anything happening to her. If I could own only one bike, I would gladly give up all my Colnagos.

BTW, I know that some in this thread have objected to calling a bike a “she.” But in Italian, the word for bicycle (bicicletta) is feminine. In the case of Italian bikes, calling them “she” makes perfectly good sense.
I’m very sorry for your loss and very much look forward to an outdoors pic off your Bottechia the next time you take her out.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-21, 11:23 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Hello, my name is Velo Mule and I have a problem. I saw this thread and despite knowing that I have issues, I ignored it. I even checked out this thread a few times to see how things were progressing. Well, I have a bike related issues that bug me. It doesn't just bug me, it bother the heck out of me. It gets me all worked up and want to rant. I want to bend something.

Straight forks. I am fine with them when they are carbon fiber, but on a bike with a steel fork, it is just wrong. I meant to say that "I think it is wrong". Forks should have a curve. I understand that to get from the fork crown to the fork end you could either make a straight path or a curved path, however that curved path has so many benefits and just plain looks good. It looks elegant. It looks like something that was planned and then carried out by a skilled builder.

Every time I see a straight steel fork, I just want to get a conduit bender and tweak those things. I look at bikes all the time and there are some nice new bikes out there, but if it has a straight fork, I not only don't like it, I question the designer or builder to the point that I would loose respect for that builder. I know that is not fair or reasonable. They may have some reason to use it other than it saves a bunch of money in tooling or having to buy it from a manufacturer that has making curved forks down to a science. To me, it seem like straight forks are a shortcut and has the added benefit that they may resemble a more expensive carbon fiber fork.

Would you eat your food off of a fork that was flat, with no curve? In both cases the curve is there for a reason.

It is my peeve. I am trying to control it and admitting it openly will hopefully help me.

Thank you, for reading this, I think, with your understanding, I will be able to at least control this well of energy that I get from seeing straight steel forks.
Old 01-04-21, 12:40 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts
Bikes referred to as ‘she’.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-04-21, 12:49 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I was wondering if the carin theorignal photo was a Peugeot 404, I owned three different sedans; two’68s and a ‘69. I have such fond memories of those cars..
Old 01-04-21, 12:39 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
The older C&V "bros" who won't deign to ride anything other than a particular model of a certain brand from an exact year made from a very definite steel alloy. "I have a Pampogano Funkochento Pro Corsa Potenza Brava from 1977 that I picked up at a garage sale for $12 and it's the best bike ever and I won't ride anything else and you people are stupid and genetically inferior because I have this bike and you don't. Eff yeah!" and there seems to be too many of them on BF.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 01-04-21 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 12:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
The older C&V "bros" who won't deign to ride anything other than a particular model of a certain brand from an exact year made from a very definite steel alloy. "I have a Pampogano Funkochento Pro Corsa Potenza Brava from 1977 that I picked up at a garage sale for $12 and it's the best bike ever and I won't ride anything else abd you people are stupid and genetically inferior because I have this bike and you don't. Eff yeah!" and there seems to be too many of them on BF.
Glad you got that off your chest.
Old 01-04-21, 12:43 PM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm old. I ride a trike & down low. I've already got bad eyesight. Some anatomies just don't belong in those lycra shorts.
I think they are contributing to my worsening eyesight. Some could cause me to have a heart attack. I can't win.
Old 01-04-21, 12:44 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
I was wondering if the carin theorignal photo was a Peugeot 404, I owned three different sedans; two’68s and a ‘69. I have such fond memories of those cars..
My daily driver is a rusty old 504 Familiale with 450,000 miles and I love it. And the AC works.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 01-04-21 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-04-21, 01:01 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Fork drop out QR retention/liability schemes that make a nutted hub seem more preferable. I never had one but worked on many that did!

I don't want to start anything but... bars wrapped bottom to top.
Too late. Wrapping bars bottom to top keeps the tape from curling from use after long service. I have an aversion to wrapping top to bottom. As for the retention ridges that force you to unscrew the qr, I file them off. The clips and screw retention device I generally leave alone. They're unnecessary but not as inconvenient.
Old 01-04-21, 01:22 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
With regards to bikes, what bugs you more than it bugs most people?
I don't like cycling being referred to "biking" because it leads to me being called a "biker", which I absolutely HATE being called. Nothing against bikers - I'm just not into motorcycles and any connotation referring to someone who wears leather, has tattoos and rides a machine that makes a lot of totally unnecessary noise (at least here in the States)!

I also get extremely irked by teens/adults riding on the sidewalk - it isn't called a "sidepedal", so stay on the street and leave that practice to small children! ...and don't even get me started on idiots riding against the flow of auto traffic!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.