Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experiment with wider tires will have to wait

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 06:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

Due to getting a flat every few hundred miles, I decided to go tubeless on my 19 Roubaix. I still had the original Specialized Turbo28C tire in the front and the rear had been changed to a GP5000 28C. I got 30C Schwalbe Pro One tires and mounted them today. My first experience with tubeless and I had some issues but sorted them out without too much trouble.

I have a DIY bike stand that holds the bike upright at the front tire. It was a snug fit with the original tires so I expected i was going to have to modify the stand to use it with the new tires. Much to my surprise, the front slid right in and in fact there is about 3-4mm gap between the tire and the stand. Measuring the width I see the tire is 29mm wide. I never measured the Specialized tire but it must have been really wide for a 28c.

Well. I'll ride these and see how it goes. Next time around maybe go to a 32.
Old 02-06-21, 06:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Many older tires are sized with narrower rims in mind. The current generation Schwalbe tires are made to match their nominal size on 19mm internal width rims, so you'll have to size up/down depending upon your rims.
Old 02-06-21, 06:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've a '19 Roubaix as well, and there was plenty of clearance for larger than nominal 28mm tires like the GP4Kii and Pro4E that measure over 31mm on the OEM DT Swiss rims (21mm internal, I think?). Haven't switched to tubeless of them yet, though I suspect the 32mm GP5K to fit easily.
Old 02-06-21, 09:17 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I have GP5000TL 32s mounted on my wife's 2020 Roubaix. Plenty of clearance on 25mm internal width rims.
Old 02-07-21, 08:50 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I've been wanting to try out 28c tires too, but I keep finding deals on 25; 28 are out of stock everywhere, unless you're willing to pay full retail.