Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rolling resistance rating effect in tube selection

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-05-21, 04:37 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I’m aware that latex tubes offer a better RR rating over standard tubes, but are there ratings that address how tubes rank like is done with tires ?
Reason I’m asking is I’m curious if there is a non latex tube (being more puncture resistant) with a RR rating similar to latex. Best of both worlds dream?
Old 02-05-21, 04:41 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not worth thinking about...and as far as I'm concerned latex tubes are more puncture resistant than butyl.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-05-21, 05:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’m aware that latex tubes offer a better RR rating over standard tubes, but are there ratings that address how tubes rank like is done with tires ?
Reason I’m asking is I’m curious if there is a non latex tube (being more puncture resistant) with a RR rating similar to latex. Best of both worlds dream?
Schwalbe Aerothan's ?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-05-21, 05:45 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Yes. Aerothan tubes. Run about $30 bucks a piece and are currently a bit hard to source.

Easier to just go with latex, but if you don't want to deal with pumping everyday, the aerothan are a legit alternative. They're about 1.5 watts slower than latex, but still faster than butyl.

And latex is actually more puncture resistant than butyl... you just have to ensure you setup your wheels correctly and install them correctly as they can wiggle into the tiniest little spots and pop.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/aerothan-tubes

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/inner-t...ing-resistance

Edited to add: beaten to the punch by both posters!
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-06-21, 09:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Main reason I've switched my road bikes to latex tubes is for comfort. It really tames the chatter on chipseal. Any advantage in rolling resistance is measurable but not perceptible in my rides.

In several months of riding with latex tubes and decent tires on one bike, and butyl tubes and the same tires on another, I don't see any consistent advantages in speed/time on my Strava logs. But I can feel the difference in the bike with latex tubes as soon as I'm rolling. With my busted up neck, back and shoulders from injuries, that extra comfort is worthwhile over longer rides.

Continental Race 28 Light butyl tubes may be close to latex in rolling resistance but seem a bit more puncture prone in my experience. I mostly carry them as spares since I can fit two in the space of a single heavier butyl tire.

I've had one puncture with one Silca labeled latex tube (actually Vittoria, I think). I don't recall the details -- too many punctures last summer. But I was able to patch the latex tube, no problems. I used a self-sticking patch -- Lezyne, I think? It's still chugging along months later. I let it set overnight before riding. Usually I carry butyl tubes to replace tubes on the road and didn't want to fuss with trying to patch my first latex tube on the road.

Check Silca's site for suggested setups with latex -- especially using powder on the tube to ease installation. Silca tubes and some others now come pre-powdered, but any old cornstarch type bath powder will work fine. I neglected the advice to use a tubeless type setup -- plastic rim tape or strip. But eventually I got around to replacing the old cloth rim tape with some kind of plastic stuff from Schwalbe or some other maker. Anyway, it works fine.
Old 02-07-21, 04:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Tubeless.