Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First crash since I started cycling again

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-20-21, 01:05 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

After about 7 months riding I had my first accident. I figured eventually it would probably happen but hoped it wouldn’t!

So I was riding last Sunday and it was super windy but I wanted to ride anyhow. I was riding my normal route through South Torrance/Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach. After going along Esplanade (parallels the beach) I get down to the pier and turn around coming back along Catalina where I usually relax and sit up, hands off the bars and drink some water before dropping back down to Esplanade. Wind was at my back and I’m thinking everything is good. A #^*+! cross wind hits me out of no where, sending me sideways and as I tried to grab the bars to save myself, bam, I am on the street.

Bloody knee, hip and shoulder, nothing broken besides my pride, pissed off so I throw my water bottle at the curb and let out some choice words. Bars were a little crooked and the chain was off and one of my previously perfect Universal brake levers which made it nearly 50 years with nothing more than a few scratches was badly scratched up. Brushed off the grit, put the chain back on and rode home with blood running down my shin.

I had it in my head that if/when I crashed at this age it was going to really suck but other than a sore collarbone and a couple uncomfortable nights sleep it really wasn’t that bad and the scabs are already nearly gone.

Lesson learned, don’t ride hands free when the winds are 15/20mph like they are right now. I do wish it wasn’t so windy here but I’m not moving just because it’s always windy here.

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 02-20-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 01:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
You only been riding seven months.... you got a lot of catching up to do. Though you don't have to catch up on accidents, just mileage.

If you were able to ride last Sunday, you are out doing me right now. Glad to see you are somewhat okay.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-21, 06:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Glad it wasn’t any worse.
Old 02-20-21, 10:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
That's enough of that! Hope you feel better fast.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-20-21, 10:11 PM
Catsharp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Hope you were wearing a helmet. Sorry for the crash!
Likes For Catsharp:
Old 02-20-21, 11:39 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
And why did you ride without hands in the wind?
I should have peed against the wind.
Likes For y0x8:
Old 02-21-21, 08:20 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Sorry about the crash. Crosswinds can be a bear as you have found out, The good thing is that you were not injured worse and now have been reminded that you don't ride no hands on the windy days, or for me, ever. I have been surprised here and not in a good way so I keep one hand on the bars always. Glad your healing and hope it doesn't keep you from getting out there again.
Frank,
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 02-21-21, 08:30 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I usually relax and sit up, hands off the bars and drink some water before

Lesson learned, don’t ride hands free when the winds are 15/20mph
The outcome could have been much worse. Good thing you're able to share with us your lessons learned.
Personally, I never ride with both hands off but thats my personal self preservation strategy when riding.......

Last edited by Speedway2; 02-21-21 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-21-21, 08:31 AM
y0x8
Ups!

I once rode a bicycle without my hands, so that I could talk to the girls, and I spread my arms out to the sides, as if I had caught a big fish.
From the car next to me, I was called obscenities.
But to ride without hands in the wind-it is necessary to be completely crazy.
Likes For y0x8:
Old 02-21-21, 10:13 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,003 Times in 1,105 Posts
The wind has been brutal lately. Yesterday, I was returning from my ride heading north on the Esplanade and turned right at Ave. C because I hate how the gusts kick up helter skelter in front of The Delphi.

(The Delphi is a very tall apartment building facing the beach and when it is windy 20+ the gusts can blow every which way in front of it.)
Old 02-21-21, 06:57 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by y0x8
And why did you ride without hands in the wind?
I should have peed against the wind.
😂 I felt like it was at my back and it was all good. Didn’t expect it to come across like it did.

I was wearing a helmet as I do 100% of the time when riding.

I have a bunch of retro kit and it scuffed up my St Raphael Geminani jersey but thankfully not my Falcon Cycles one! Amazingly did not tear though, just a scuffed area on the shoulder.

Went for a ride today it was downright gorgeous out, unlike yesterday which was a windy repeat of last Sunday.

Thanks for all the concern I am good, the shoulder scab came off today just the one on my knee left.
Old 02-21-21, 07:30 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Could have been much worse. Look what happened to Chris Froome in 2019 when he took his hands off the bars durning a reconnaissance ride for the Critérium du Dauphiné while it was windy.

“It’s obviously very gusty today and he took his hands off the bars to blow his nose and the wind has taken his front wheel. He’s hit a wall at 60km/h or something like that, he’s got a bad fracture, he’s badly injured and it sounds like he has a fracture of the femur.”
Likes For August West:
Old 02-21-21, 10:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
After about 7 months riding I had my first accident. I figured eventually it would probably happen but hoped it wouldn’t!

So I was riding last Sunday and it was super windy but I wanted to ride anyhow. I was riding my normal route through South Torrance/Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach. After going along Esplanade (parallels the beach) I get down to the pier and turn around coming back along Catalina where I usually relax and sit up, hands off the bars and drink some water before dropping back down to Esplanade. Wind was at my back and I’m thinking everything is good. A #^*+! cross wind hits me out of no where, sending me sideways and as I tried to grab the bars to save myself, bam, I am on the street.

Bloody knee, hip and shoulder, nothing broken besides my pride, pissed off so I throw my water bottle at the curb and let out some choice words. Bars were a little crooked and the chain was off and one of my previously perfect Universal brake levers which made it nearly 50 years with nothing more than a few scratches was badly scratched up. Brushed off the grit, put the chain back on and rode home with blood running down my shin.

I had it in my head that if/when I crashed at this age it was going to really suck but other than a sore collarbone and a couple uncomfortable nights sleep it really wasn’t that bad and the scabs are already nearly gone.

Lesson learned, don’t ride hands free when the winds are 15/20mph like they are right now. I do wish it wasn’t so windy here but I’m not moving just because it’s always windy here.

That some good road rash what doesn’t kills ya makes ya stronger. Almost got blown off my bike out in the west Texas mountains Big Bend NP. Turned around back to camp and listen to football on satellite radio. And a few beers... Next day winds subsided continued bicycle adventures.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-23-21, 04:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
That some good road rash what doesn’t kills ya makes ya stronger. Almost got blown off my bike out in the west Texas mountains Big Bend NP. Turned around back to camp and listen to football on satellite radio. And a few beers... Next day winds subsided continued bicycle adventures.
You betcha that "That some good road rash... " 'cause it sure ain't "Some BAD road rash." After a crash during a triathlon my Dr. had to put some 3M Tegaderm Transparent Film Dressing (2nd skin) on the RR after massive de-gritting the area AND while it didn't "Kill Me" it sure as well didn't make me any stronger.
Old 02-23-21, 12:10 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Take care of yourself and don't fall. In age, the metabolism is not the same as in childhood-abrasions, bruises and injuries take a long time to heal, not like in the young.
Old 03-03-21, 04:34 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
It sucks but we do have to ratchet some things down as we get older. We're lucky when the reminders are minor incidents. I'm 60, and typically ride gravel bikes off-road (I hate riding in traffic - I'm over here in Glendale - the sh*#*ty driver capital of SoCal). I went over the bars recently on some rocky singletrack, due to a bad braking move on my part (I should know better, been riding the same trails for years). Last time that happened was mtb'ing almost 10 years ago. Very lucky to have somehow performed a nice aikido-style roll over my shoulder and came up squatting looking at my bike. Totally subconscious. Only real damage was my busted brifter and I had to walk out. Kinda dodged a bullet, at 60.
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-03-21, 06:09 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Glad you’re ok, could have been worse with traffic. I hit a wet transition that put me down 5yrs ago and fractured (mild) a wrist. Glad to have been wearing jeans being it was a spring day. The jeans rubbed a patch of skin off my knee and the bleeding stuck the jean to the wound by time I got home. And yes, the skin was on the inside of the pant leg.

I never ride no-hands. Ever.
Old 03-04-21, 04:00 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Had my first drop in a long time earlier this week. About 10 miles into a gravel ride, slowing and turning at an intersection. Hit a patch of frozen snow about the size of my hat and went down. Bit of rash on one knee, no damage to the bike. Happened really quickly. Riding the local MUPs is tricky as 99% of surface is dry, 1% patch ice at underpasses or shady areas. Stay alert!
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 03-04-21, 04:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
Cycling teaches us lots of lessons. The cost of the lesson may vary, as will the method of payment.
Old 03-05-21, 08:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Any crash you can ride away from is just a learning experience.
It's the ones you have to walk away from...or be driven away from in that noisy truck with the flashing lights...that really suck.

btw, when I was a kid I could ride my bike hands-free for miles at a time. And even as recently as ~10 or 15 years ago, I could (and would) do so regularly. Somewhere around here I have a photo from the 2007 Harlem Valley Rail Ride of me charging up a hill no-hands, pumping my arms doing the Running Man dance!

But in 2013 I had a very serious crash (noisy truck with flashing lights involved, first and only time in my life I've ever had to spend the night in a hospital) which broke a whole mess of ribs and the scapula on one side, and ever since then I've felt like my body is a bit imbalanced, no longer symmetrical...and I feel it most when I try to ride no-hands: The bike instantly pulls to the left, and is very difficult to control, I can barely hold a straight line.

So I figure 60 years old is a good time to just stop riding no-hands. If I need to take off my vest mid-ride I'll just stop for 30 seconds.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-06-21, 04:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Any crash you can ride away from is just a learning experience.
It's the ones you have to walk away from...or be driven away from in that noisy truck with the flashing lights...that really suck.
Just don't take that literally. I rode home thinking "if I can ride it back, I'm probably OK" and it turned out I had broken ribs and collarbone and a punctured lung. Better to say if you "should" rather than "can", though granted it loses something that way.
Old 03-07-21, 10:14 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't throw the water bottle. Use it to wash off the grit immediately before it dries up and you have to scrub it... and it really starts to hurt.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-07-21, 10:30 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I rode home thinking "if I can ride it back, I'm probably OK" and it turned out I had broken ribs and collarbone and a punctured lung. Better to say if you "should" rather than "can"
There, see? It was a learning experience, ^^^that was the lesson you learned!
:::dancingbanana:::
Old 03-07-21, 04:31 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
There, see? It was a learning experience, ^^^that was the lesson you learned!
:::dancingbanana:::
I'd like to think so, but I'm pretty hard-headed so I'd probably do it again. Learning that you're not unbreakable any more, that one's hard to ignore.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-22-21, 09:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
Yesterday I crashed out in my man cave when my training bike parted ways with the trainer after not securely mounting it. I did a quick test at first to make sure it was secure (I trade my wife and my bike on the same trainer) and started my workout and then I started falling to my left. My cat like reflexes allowed me to unclip while falling and safely roll. It made on helluva noise with everything crashing over.

Now I will triple check the all the fittings when switching bikes. It would been just a bit embarrassing if I actually got hurt, that it happened in the house.

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.