Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A Sensitive Subject... Saddles!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 12:49 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

It's been posted before, and it will be posted again, for all eternity...

I'm looking for a touring saddle. I've realized over 10,000 miles that maybe I can be doing better than the pain I'm feeling. I've also realized that in order to find the perfect saddle, I'll have to try a bunch and see what works.

Let's start with crowdsourced info, shall we? What are you using, how did you pick it, and what else have you tried?

Here are my hopeful parameters:

- No Leather or Cotton (sorry Brooks!)
- Under $120, cheaper the better
- Good for Bony Hips/Sit Bones (I have no "human" padding back there)
- Good for Off-Roading (Dirt Touring)

Let's hear your rants and raves!

I have tried:
WTB Pure-V
WTB Volt

I am currently testing:
Fizik Antares
Old 06-29-15, 01:03 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Brooks has a non-leather saddle series, but it does have a cotton cover of some sort:
BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | ROAD+&+MTB | CAMBIUM+C15+CARVED

There is an older vintage touring saddle, Motobecane or Univega or something, that a lot of people seemed to have liked if you can find one.

Otherwise trial and error due to everyone being shaped slightly differently down in the bum regions.
Old 06-29-15, 01:09 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WTB Silverado... came from a Brooks B17 and Brooks Swallow for rando stuff.
This came on my Fargo stock, was prepared to toss it, but I like it, so I bought another one for my IF.
Old 06-29-15, 01:34 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I've been riding a Brooks Cambium C15 for a few months now, and really like it. No signs of wear on my cycling shorts or the saddle. It gets plenty wet from sweat and rain, and is no worse for wear. Recently did a 5-day trip, and didn't think about it once, which is what a great saddle should do. Saddle about level with the bar tops.

Other bikes have WTB Rocket V (more upright MTB) and Specialized Toupe (fast road bike with a couple inches of saddle to bar drop), also very comfortable, for the position on those bikes.

Last edited by alan s; 06-29-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 02:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1985 I liked the San Marco Concor Max, I doubt there are any made currently good luck on the auction site on that one.
use a CP3 Fizik Vitesse , on my Brompton they're off the market too , likewise the densely. thin. padded HP Vitesse (in basic Black Pleather )

but its really between your ass and the saddle , not a vote of popularity on this forum ..

Selle Royale is also the owner of Fizik and now Brooks , thats probably 50 different saddles

Selle Italia, has a dozen models, they made the saddles for American Avocet too.

Taiwan's Velo makes saddles for other importers .. of different brands ..

It's a crowded market bazaar. go forth and sit on more swaddles..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-29-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 02:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like san marco rolls and sell italia turbo (vintage racing saddles but both still available) and the wtb pure v race saddle. The wtb pure v race saddle is inexpensive and it works. Looks like you don't like wtb saddles though.
Old 06-29-15, 02:16 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdilthey

- No Leather or Cotton
Well, somebody has to ask, Why no cotton or leather?
Old 06-29-15, 02:35 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rex615
Probably because 90% of the posts will be about brooks saddles
Old 06-29-15, 02:42 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Because they are against killing animals or plants.
Old 06-29-15, 03:29 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
A riding buddy of mine loves his Specialized saddles and it comes in at least 2 or 3 widths. I'm guessing it is well thought of because I'm told they named a movie after it ?

Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 06-29-15, 03:35 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Not the OP, but as a vegetarian (40 years, this year), I didn't want to buy a leather saddle either. Instead, I tried a couple different ones and never really liked any of them. On a tour from SF to Phoenix, the seat became very painful (at least it was a distraction from the scenery!) and I decided I needed another saddle.

Knowing that a Brooks leather saddle was the recommended choice, I took a look at my beliefs and decided that I no longer was concerned about the bad karma using leather might bring onto my soul (and that buying a leather saddle likely didn't cause any more suffering for the specific cow supplying it). So, I bought the Brooks saddle and have been very pleased ever since.

I try to repent by telling the cows I see on my tours to "Leave NOW! They are going to eat you." They don't seem very concerned but I don't know what happens after I ride away...
Old 06-29-15, 03:48 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robow
A riding buddy of mine loves his Specialized saddles and it comes in at least 2 or 3 widths. I'm guessing it is well thought of because I'm told they named a movie after it ?

Specialized Bicycle Components
Get great results in several reviews

The Best Bike Saddle | OutdoorGearLab
Saddles: Components Reviews - BikeRadar
Old 06-29-15, 04:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
maybe I can be doing better than the pain I'm feeling.
What kind of pain, specifically? The above doesn't help us at all, so you're just going to get a list of everyone's favorite saddles.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-29-15, 04:13 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What kind of pain, specifically? The above doesn't help us at all, so you're just going to get a list of everyone's favorite saddles.
Wrong a good saddle take care of most if not all kind of pain because of its design. There is nothing due to chance and little due to personal choices. I can see a good saddle just by looking at its design.
Old 06-29-15, 04:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
Wrong a good saddle take care of most if not all kind of pain because of its design. There is nothing due to chance and little due to personal choices. I can see a good saddle just by looking at its design.
So it's left to you to explain why noseless saddles haven't dominated the market.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-29-15, 04:18 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
So it's left to you to explain why noseless saddles haven't dominated the market.
It is again due to the design of those noseless saddles. It is to be expected. There is a trade off and not everybody is ready for it.
Old 06-29-15, 04:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I ride Terry Flys. The ti railed ones will push your cost limit a few dollars but the steel railed ones probably run a shade under $100. Very well made seats. No issues at all in 9,000 and 12,000 miles. (I do treat the leather about once a year with Snowseal.)

Ben
Old 06-29-15, 04:30 PM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Nothing others will say is all that likely to be helpful, saddles are just too much of an individual choice. That said, I like the my Prologo Kappa pretty well. I think I like the WTB Volt even better, but you say you have tried that one.

I guess I am lucky because I am not especially fussy about saddle choice. I have not had a saddle that came on any bike I bought since the 80s that I wouldn't happily do a coast to coast tour on. I don't typically even bother to put on my favorite saddle for a multi week or multi month tour and just go with the one that happens to be on the bike I chose for the tour.
Old 06-29-15, 05:09 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The pain i'm feeling is in my sit bones. No pain in between.
Old 06-29-15, 05:27 PM
Orange Gato

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for a touring saddle.
- No Leather or Cotton (sorry Brooks!)
- Under $120, cheaper the better
- Good for Bony Hips/Sit Bones (I have no "human" padding back there)
- Good for Off-Roading (Dirt Touring)

I have tried:
WTB Pure-V
WTB Volt

I am currently testing:
Fizik Antares
ISM saddles? The Century has a non leather cover. Haven't tried it though. And may be too $
Century ? ISM
Amazon.com: ISM Century Saddle Black: Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-29-15, 05:33 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Because they are against killing animals or plants.
That makes no sense? so you buy a petroleum product that pollutes both?

this is a hard one... I think most of my saddles have included a bit of leather or cotton somewhere... you pretty much knock off all the consensus favorites there...
Old 06-29-15, 05:40 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably because 90% of the posts will be about brooks saddles
Well, I slightly prefer Ideale saddles to Brooks saddles. But you can't buy a new one, they've been out of business for at least 20 years. But I own and love, an Ideale Model 80, an Ideale Model 90, and a Brooks Swift. All three of these are superbly comfortable leather saddles. The Brooks Swift is the lightest, best looking, and most expensive of these, but it's not any more comfortable than the two Ideales. I also own and ride a Selle Italia Turbo and a Fizik Antares. I just bought a used Ideale Model 90 from a local CL seller, and replaced my Fizik Antares with it. After something like 100 miles in the course of less than 2 weeks (and my pre-soaking the underside with Lexol before installing it), I can already say that the Ideale 90 is my most comfortable saddle, and well worth the 12 ounce weight penalty compared to the Fizik Antares.

BTW, if you buy a used Ideale saddle, you can take some solace in the fact that the cow it came from has been dead for at least 20 years, and they won't be killing another one to replace the inventory.
Old 06-29-15, 06:01 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Well, I slightly prefer Ideale saddles to Brooks saddles. But you can't buy a new one, they've been out of business for at least 20 years. But I own and love, an Ideale Model 80, an Ideale Model 90, and a Brooks Swift. All three of these are superbly comfortable leather saddles. The Brooks Swift is the lightest, best looking, and most expensive of these, but it's not any more comfortable than the two Ideales. I also own and ride a Selle Italia Turbo and a Fizik Antares. I just bought a used Ideale Model 90 from a local CL seller, and replaced my Fizik Antares with it. After something like 100 miles in the course of less than 2 weeks (and my pre-soaking the underside with Lexol before installing it), I can already say that the Ideale 90 is my most comfortable saddle, and well worth the 12 ounce weight penalty compared to the Fizik Antares.

BTW, if you buy a used Ideale saddle, you can take some solace in the fact that the cow it came from has been dead for at least 20 years, and they won't be killing another one to replace the inventory.
You may like the rivet pearl saddle then
Rivet Pearl saddle review | road.cc
[...]the Pearl offers all the best features you might find in the Brooks range but in a single saddle.[...]

I've owned any number of Brooks saddles and while I remain a fan, the Rivet is better finished and even more comfortable.
Old 06-29-15, 06:23 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may like the rivet pearl saddle then
Rivet Pearl saddle review | road.cc
Well, that may be useful info for the OP, but for me, I've got several reasons why it doesn't do anything for me:

1) I already have all the leather saddles I need, and all three of them have already been broken in to fit my personal butt.
2) I personally don't like cutouts in my leather saddles - YMMV, certainly.
3) Other than my Ideale 80, which I bought new 37 years ago for something like $10-15, my other two leather saddles were bought used for well under $100 each.

That being said, given that Ideale is long ago out of business, and the various Asian Brooks copies as well as the expensive, hard to break in and rarely seen Gilles Berthoud saddles have gotten mixed reviews, it's always worthwhile that there be a high quality alternative to Brooks saddles in the marketplace.
Old 06-29-15, 06:41 PM
kpfeif

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have come to really like the WTB Deva's that Performance sells for $44.99. They are very slightly wider than the two WTBs you've tried, and also a little flatter across the top and a little cushier. The volt in particular is quite hard, imo. I guess the Deva is technically women's specific (whatever that means) but they guys who've ridden my bikes have thought they were quite comfortable too. I have 3 of them

WTB Women's Deva Race SE Saddle - Performance Exclusive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.