Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Just got asked a biking etiquette question by a friend

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 11-15-17, 08:40 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

And I don't really know the answer. Apparently she is without a car and is using a bicycle. She needs to have some copies made at an office max, but the only bike rack at the mall is a fair distance away in front of a gym, and she says its pretty apparent that the rack was put there for the gym's use.
She is wondering if she should ask permission or if most bike racks could be considered public parking.

Since I am pretty rural and seldom even take a bike lock, and there are 0 racks in town anyway, I can't give a good answer.
Going to send her a link to this thread, so remember that this is for someone who is just trying to do the right thing and keep it positive You can bash me all you want for not knowing.
Old 11-15-17, 09:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I always treat bike racks as public parking. The only time I'd ask is if it's clear that the business is using it for some other obvious purpose, like putting bikes on display for sale.

I also have no problem locking my bicycle to random things when the business/shopping center fails to provide appropriate and close parking. This includes but is not limited to signposts, fences, and trees. I am also a jerk.

Last edited by wipekitty; 11-15-17 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Keepin' it positive =)
Old 11-15-17, 09:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'd use it. I might also point out the Office Max that they have no bike parking. (I also regularly lock my bike wheels to the frame and lean it on the frame of a business' window so I can watch the bike from the inside. That wouldn't work in a high theft area; they would just lift the locked bike, but in a lot of places, that works well. Esp with less than high end bikes.)

Ben
Old 11-15-17, 10:17 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
I've brought my bike into shops and placed it on a wall or window - of course, not blocking any doorways, aisles or exits. If someone doesn't like it, that gives you an opportunity to talk to that someone about their bike parking problem. If you're friendly and genuine, you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 11-15-17, 10:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
i'd use the rack if it was convenient.
Old 11-15-17, 11:10 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
And I don't really know the answer. Apparently she is without a car and is using a bicycle. She needs to have some copies made at an office max, but the only bike rack at the mall is a fair distance away in front of a gym, and she says its pretty apparent that the rack was put there for the gym's use.
She is wondering if she should ask permission or if most bike racks could be considered public parking.

Since I am pretty rural and seldom even take a bike lock, and there are 0 racks in town anyway, I can't give a good answer.
Going to send her a link to this thread, so remember that this is for someone who is just trying to do the right thing and keep it positive You can bash me all you want for not knowing.
Roll the bike into Office Max like she owns the place. No one has ever said one word to me ever as I entered numerous places. If they did, I would roll the bike right back out.
Old 11-16-17, 12:00 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Roll the bike into Office Max like she owns the place.....
You got it. There is no laws that prevent bikes in a store.... and no reason for any business to discourage a customers entry (with or without a bike).

But... don't limit your choices to "the mall". There may be closer easier places to make copies. Or maybe... a smartphone image converted into a PDF and saved on the cloud... or emailed... might work.
Old 11-16-17, 01:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Before rolling the bicycle right in, check for "No Bicycle" signs. Many business have those up and get quite upset if you violate that rule. My office building, for example.

However, unless the rack has a sign indicating that it is for a particular business, I'd use it.

Or if it is some distance away, I'd lock the bicycle to whatever is close by (tree, fence, etc.).
Old 11-16-17, 10:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Roll the bike into Office Max like she owns the place. No one has ever said one word to me ever as I entered numerous places. If they did, I would roll the bike right back out.
It is fine to roll right on out without conducting business there for whatever reason, IF you don't have a reason to conduct business there in the first place or practical alternatives are conveniently available.
Old 11-16-17, 10:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
REI has no problem w me bringing my bike in the store, but Dicks' Sporting Goods, does. Dick's has to put a red tag on it. At least this is way it is in Natick, MA (aka Boston, Metro-West)
Old 11-16-17, 12:04 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Depends on how crowded or small the store is....being considerate goes a long way. I often just say "do you mind" as I park on the inside of the store away from the door. No one has ever objected and it does lead to conversations about bike parking, riding etc.
Old 11-17-17, 04:07 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Car parking is also free for anyone as long as there's no sign that says, "parking for customers only." If there's plenty of room on the bike rack, why would anyone care if you parked there?
Old 11-19-17, 01:32 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If I was a bike thief, I would LOVE to find an unlocked bike leaning against the wall in a store. I would know that by the time the owner noticed it was missing, I would be 5 miles away. And by the time the police arrived, I would be 20 or 30 miles away. And by the time the police actually started looking for the bike, I could have rode it to the moon.

So the best idea is to lock the bike properly. I agree with Machka and others that it's OK to use the neighboring establishment's bike rack, or lock to a tree, sign post, sewer grate, or whatever. I would also politely let the store owner or manager know that they really should provide bike racks, and it's even good for their business to do so.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-19-17, 05:21 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
If I was a bike thief, I would LOVE to find an unlocked bike leaning against the wall in a store. I would know that by the time the owner noticed it was missing, I would be 5 miles away. And by the time the police arrived, I would be 20 or 30 miles away. And by the time the police actually started looking for the bike, I could have rode it to the moon.

So the best idea is to lock the bike properly. I agree with Machka and others that it's OK to use the neighboring establishment's bike rack, or lock to a tree, sign post, sewer grate, or whatever. I would also politely let the store owner or manager know that they really should provide bike racks, and it's even good for their business to do so.
Occasionally I pickup prescriptions at a Safeway in a dodgy part of town. I take the bike in the store with me and just roll it around. It doesn’t leave my sight.
Old 11-28-17, 06:21 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just use the rack.

Or lock it to the handicap parking signs, cart return in the parking lot, trees, whatever.

I saw somebody take the wheels off and put it in a shopping cart once.

Originally Posted by gregf83
Occasionally I pickup prescriptions at a Safeway in a dodgy part of town. I take the bike in the store with me and just roll it around. It doesn’t leave my sight.
Yeah bike tourists do that too.
Old 11-28-17, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
If I was a bike thief, I would LOVE to find an unlocked bike leaning against the wall in a store. I would know that by the time the owner noticed it was missing, I would be 5 miles away.
You have failed to account for the possibility of store employees keeping an eye on the bike. You have also failed to account for the fact that someone can lean their bike against a wall and transact business while still keeping an eye on it.
Old 11-28-17, 04:16 PM
tiger style

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think all bike parking is public parking. That said I do try to use city installed bike racks whenever possible.
Old 11-28-17, 04:25 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've wondered about it before, is a bike rack "for" businesses in the immediate area and could anyone get their nose out of joint if you parked there and walked off. But I don't think that anyone, literally anyone, in the business cares about the bike rack. They sometimes don't even know it's there, and when they do they don't know how it got there.

I lock up wherever it's convenient, which more often than not isn't at a bike rack. In fact, around here they're mostly off somewhere out of the way and I think I'd rather have my bike somewhere out in the open. But I don't think there is an etiquette issue with using the bike racks, not that I've ever heard of.
Old 12-02-17, 01:19 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You have failed to account for the possibility of store employees keeping an eye on the bike. You have also failed to account for the fact that someone can lean their bike against a wall and transact business while still keeping an eye on it.
I guess I'm just a total failure!

"Think Outside the Cage"