Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing a Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 09:03 PM
ksap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’ve decided to give the cycling hobby a try and looking for my first road bike after using a mountain bike for years. I’ll be doing more endurance style riding. My budget was $500 but comparing price to utility it seems $1k hits the sweet spot for beginners like me. My options have come down to two bikes:

brand new Giant Contend ar4 with a Claris gs but disk brakes

or

2014 Domane 4.3 with a 105 gs but rim brakes.
Has 500 miles on it

I’d appreciate some opinions. I’m not sure if I should choose the newer bike with better breaks and newer technology or the older one with better gears.
Old 02-22-21, 09:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
First off the bike has to fit, if it doesn't don't buy it.

Don't know the Giant but are the brakes hydro or cable?

The Domane is a good bike and 105 is a good groupset. It's the one i'd get.
Old 02-22-21, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The bike does need to fit first and foremost. If either bike isn't comfortable and doesn't fit, it isn't worth much to you.

Trek v. Giant is a tough one as I dislike both brands (in more modern times) but if I had to dislike one more I would say Giant would take that one. Trek does a few things a bit better.

However in that particular battle the Domane will have better parts on it. Disc brakes are great but crappy disc brakes aren't so great and sacrificing shifting for maybe marginally better braking no thanks. I can get really excellent braking from rim brakes with good cables, housing, pads and shoes. I say this a lot but those will make a much bigger difference than a caliper. Certainly if we were talking actual full hydro discs it may be a different argument and certainly if I rode in the rain a lot that would skew things a bit. But we are talking cheap cable discs so I would just throw a little money towards stiff shoes and SwissStop or KoolStop pads and be done with it.

Claris is well below what I would spec on an entry level road bike. It is something I would put on a bike designed to look like a road bike and perform like a mushy raw potato. 105 is a perfect entry level spec for someone serious enough to want a road bike. It is the third tier below Ultegra and the top end Dura Ace and it works really well, lasts a long time and is cheap enough to not destroy most proper budgets for a road bike. It gets all the trickle down from the two top tier groups without adding in the cost and in past years they have done black and grey or silver giving more options to folks. Typically a 105 equipped bike will be nicer over all and maybe have a better frame and fork and other parts (not always sometimes they budget out but in the end so long as your derailleurs and shifters are 105 you are pretty good).

Also a point against Giant, they use a proprietary seatpost and that doesn't work for me. Granted I have never broken a post (and having a plump rump I could) but I wouldn't want to be stuck waiting for an odd shaped seatpost to be ordered should the shop I am at not stock them. Plus if I want to swap it for something different like say a Cane Creek eeSilk post (because I want a little suspension without a ton of weight) or want to go to a really neat titanium post I would be S.O.L.

But a point for Giant the bike assuming it is bought new from a shop will have any warranties and follow up service attached to it.
Old 02-23-21, 05:37 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Buy the nicest bike that fits your budget, even if it isn't the newest.
​​​​​​Unless it's been obviously abused or neglected, a 10-year-old 105 bike will be nicer than a new Claris bike. Just because they have the same number of speeds in the cassette, doesn't mean they're the same 'grade'. The Claris bike was made to meet a specific (low) cost point; the 105 bike will be better made and finished, especially in less obvious places like the wheel hubs, BB, and all small parts and finishing kit.
Old 02-23-21, 05:58 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Something else to think about when considering a used bike. Do you have the knowledge to look it over carefully to make sure it is in good shape? No cracks in Carbon Frame? Wheels true? Drive train not worn? Also do you know how to evaluate how well it fits?

I bought my first road bike used and while I enjoyed it for close to 3 years, I realized how ill-fitting it was when I bought a new bike from a shop and had a professional fitting.

No doubt the Trek is a lot more bike, but you may find it's safer to go with a new bike where you can rely on the shop to make sure it fits and everything works properly. If you find you really like road biking, you'll know a lot more when it's time to start looking to upgrade.
Old 02-23-21, 07:09 PM
ksap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Something else to think about when considering a used bike. Do you have the knowledge to look it over carefully to make sure it is in good shape? No cracks in Carbon Frame? Wheels true? Drive train not worn? Also do you know how to evaluate how well it fits?

I bought my first road bike used and while I enjoyed it for close to 3 years, I realized how ill-fitting it was when I bought a new bike from a shop and had a professional fitting.

No doubt the Trek is a lot more bike, but you may find it's safer to go with a new bike where you can rely on the shop to make sure it fits and everything works properly. If you find you really like road biking, you'll know a lot more when it's time to start looking to upgrade.
Good point. I’ve decided to go with the used Domane and making the exchange at a bike shop so they can make an inspection before I buy it.
Likes For ksap: