Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GT ZR-2.0 a Newbie bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GT ZR-2.0 a Newbie bike?

Old 07-27-01, 08:10 AM
WolverineGator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GT ZR-2.0 a Newbie bike?

Hi,

I rode a road bike for the *first time in my life ever*yesterday. It was a GT ZR-2.0 found here: https://www.gtroadbikes.com/catalog/i...id=101&ml=2001

It was a strange ride to say the least, but I just gotta get used to the bike. It was faster and more twichy than my mtb. I was cruising at 27mph across the prarie with the cycling club. After about 2 miles I got winded and had to slow a bit. So I enjoyed the ride and am considering purchasing this bike. The LBS offered to sell it to me for $1200 with the Ultegra group. It was a good 30 mile ride, but my butt hurt and we're going to flip the stem as it's too low for me right now. It's 18.5 pounds with my 747 pedals, which is 4 pounds lighter than my mtb. I like that! Fit is the most important thing for me, so we're going to keep working on that until it fits right. If it doesn't then forget it. I will not buy it. So, questions:

1. Is this a decent entry level bike?
2. Any other considerations I'm leaving out?
3. Is the price good or just okay? I may offer the LBS $1200 out the door.

Any other helpful tips are appreciated.
Likes For WolverineGator:
Old 07-27-01, 10:57 AM
SteveF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's more than an entry-level bike! Those usually go for about half the LBS asking price.

That aside, $1200 is a sweet price for an Ultegra-equipped ride.

I'm not surprised you found it "twitchy". Looking at the geometry specs on the web site, it's set up to be especially quick and responsive.

If you like it and can get it to fit, it seems like a good buy.

SteveF
Classic Lugged Steel Rider
Old 07-28-01, 11:01 AM
Felipe Nacif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Steve, lots more features than an entry bike would have, specially the Ultegra group. Price seems really fair too, go for it
Old 07-29-01, 06:31 PM
wa2edn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a real deal... I got a GT XR3.0 in March for $1300 (new) which was abt $100 less than anywhere else I looked. I went from a Bianci Campy to the ZR3 and I noticed a big diff.
Get rid of the stock seat though. I gave it 3 months before I tossed it for an AVOCEY Air 40 02 TI. I just went 35 mi on the new saddle and it's fine.

ENJOY.. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the ZR2.0

BILL
Old 02-16-21, 05:35 AM
gildelrosan

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres not much info on the specs of the GT ZR 2.0 Roadbike now. Would anyone know the GT stem specs of the size 52 frame ? I plan to get the right specified stem for this old model frame, which i got recently. Its a good stiff frame.
Old 02-16-21, 11:33 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
According to Bicycle Blue book, it had a GT brand stem but I don't understand the need to get the correct one unless you're doing a museum restoration or something. Stems are commonly replaced and if you're planning to ride it, get one that is right for you.

Old 02-16-21, 02:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by gildelrosan
Theres not much info on the specs of the GT ZR 2.0 Roadbike now. Would anyone know the GT stem specs of the size 52 frame ? I plan to get the right specified stem for this old model frame, which i got recently. Its a good stiff frame.
What does your fitter recommend for stem length? That would be the first thing. Forget whatever GT or anyone put on the bike originally that doesn't matter one bit. It matters what fits you the best and works for your body. A fitter will be able to tell you that and much more.
Old 02-17-21, 07:05 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Man, I was 42 when this thread was started.
Old 02-17-21, 08:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by gildelrosan
Probably a 90-100m, but it really doesn't matter. You don't choose a stem length based on what it originally came with. You choose a stem length based on what you need to achieve your desired reach to the bars/shifters.

A GT ZR 2.0 (in blue, black, and white) was my first racing bike. I think I got it in 2001, too, when this thread was made. Wow. $1200 for an Ultegra-equipped racing bike. Bargains!

In the future, just start a new thread.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-17-21, 09:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Kudos for finding a nearly 20 year old thread.

ps in interest of being helpful, agree bumper should get stem that fits best rather than what was originally spec’d, likely 100mm +/- 10mm.