Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 333 hub SHIFTER

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 333 hub SHIFTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 03:47 PM
PreacherG

Bikes: GenZe 102 e bike, 70'S Moosburg 3 sp touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano 333 hub SHIFTER

I am rebuilding my DW bike. The bike is a vintage, early 70's Shimano 3 sp internal hub. My issue is the shifter on the handlebar. It should be a "click stop" type shifter, where the three speed locations are clear. After having this very simple mechanism apart several times for various reasons, it has no stops. It did Saturday, I think. The best I can tell, it is a Shimano 333 AA-H shifter.

What am I missing?? Please help!
Old 02-24-20, 06:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Your ball went missing. This is the most common reason to loose the "indexing" function when all else is working. The 333 shift lever uses a ball bearing held in a plate slightly thinner then the ball is big in diameter. There's a spring (sheet steel) that presses this ball against the second plate which has three holes in it. The first plate is rotated/moved by the trigger, also moving the cable, and when the ball catches in one of the holes the cable is held in place. This ball (3/16" IIRC) so easily gets lost when the lever is dissassembled. Especially when one doesent know to watch for it. Andy
Old 02-24-20, 06:56 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!! I am sure you are correct. I have a loose bearing that showed up on the work bench that does not belong in the front or rear hub, the fork or crank (All are bearing rings, and I double checked). I now know where it goes!

So, if I understand, the base that attaches to the handle bars has 3 small holes. The bearing sits in here. It is then covered by the shift lever part, the cable installed and everything screwed together.

I feel so much better!

Old 02-26-20, 08:28 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got the bearing installed and now it all works again - as designed. With a bit of grease, it moves more smoothly as well. Thanks again for the help!