55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mazpr
Whats so special about that vanilla frame?
Vanilla makes stuff thats kinda nice right here in Portland.
Old 07-27-07, 02:42 PM
TLN

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazpr
Whats so special about that vanilla frame?

???
I would NEVER ride a Vanilla in public... Id be too paranoid that a rock would chip the paint! Truly a work of art but dont tell Sacha that... his head might get bigger and explode all over the frames!
Old 07-27-07, 10:15 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Great replies and advice all around. Again, very appreciated. Rad, I do indeed ride a Poprad for now... until my 'nilla is done anyway. As far as what's so special about it...it was a gift to myself for surviving my year in Afghanistan, so it will mean a lot to me on several levels.

With all the group support I will indeed be enjoying the ride, conduct of others notwithstanding.
Old 07-28-07, 10:12 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLN
I would NEVER ride a Vanilla in public... Id be too paranoid that a rock would chip the paint! Truly a work of art but dont tell Sacha that... his head might get bigger and explode all over the frames!
One day I stopped by the New Seasons at SE 20th and Division on the way home from work. Got ready to go into the store when I realized I just locked my bike up next to that beautiful blue bike he made for his wife. It was all mud splattered and clearly well-used. What a beautiful sight!
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-28-07, 11:20 AM
TLN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
One day I stopped by the New Seasons at SE 20th and Division on the way home from work. Got ready to go into the store when I realized I just locked my bike up next to that beautiful blue bike he made for his wife. It was all mud splattered and clearly well-used. What a beautiful sight!
For me, Im into the Italian steel (most of the Columbus lines) and thats what I ride for the most part. But for some reason Vanilla frames... should be hung on a wall and I know that is a bad thing since they are meant to be ridden. I just get that feeling of dread to see dirt, let alone mud, on one of those frames... kind of like a large turd on a beautifully marbled steak.
Old 07-28-07, 12:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 2,234 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
......but the cycle culture here leaves me mystified.
I don't know if it's just not "cool" to say hello or wave here.
I used to live in a more rural area and car/truck drivers used to raise a hand off the steering wheel to everyone. They don't do that in the city. Does that make city drivers less friendly?, maybe. Same with bicycles, the volume of cyclists makes acknowledging everyone a bit much, esp on a busy weekend on a popular route. Waving at everyone on the MUT would be hazardous. Enjoy the ride, it's not a social event for everyone.
Old 07-28-07, 03:35 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The person that is able to unify all the disparate elements that make up 'bike culture' in portland has a good shot at becoming the next mayor of the city.

seriously, the ridiculous and arbitrary subdivisions between all the different types of cyclists in portland does more to hold cyclists back as a political force than anything else. unified, who knows what can be accomplished???
Old 07-28-07, 04:00 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
The person that is able to unify all the disparate elements that make up 'bike culture' in portland has a good shot at becoming the next mayor of the city.

seriously, the ridiculous and arbitrary subdivisions between all the different types of cyclists in portland does more to hold cyclists back as a political force than anything else. unified, who knows what can be accomplished???
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-28-07, 08:23 PM
gew0419

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You think you got it bad?!? try riding down the road on a recumbent. I just switched over this year and it's like I'm no longer a " real serious" rider because I am on a one of "those" bikes. I still smile and wave and even sometimes holler "How's it going?" And I try to engage the "roadie's" in conversation at a light, but it's like they don't want to be seen talking to me on my "clown bike." Oh well, I am still riding and will never stop being friendly.
By the way...welcome to Portland.
Old 07-28-07, 10:30 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aren't we silly monkeys?
Old 07-28-07, 11:38 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ooh, I always talk to the bent riders. I think the bents are fascinating, and who knows, I may end up on one some day if I develop back problems. It is interesting to see how many of my cycling colleagues go that route as they get older.
Old 07-30-07, 01:44 AM
PedalMasher
214/13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not too change the subject OP, but I have to insert an observation that the above is a large reason why the democrats have lost the last 2 presidential elections.
Old 07-30-07, 06:55 PM
gew0419

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MillCreek
Ooh, I always talk to the bent riders. I think the bents are fascinating, and who knows, I may end up on one some day if I develop back problems. It is interesting to see how many of my cycling colleagues go that route as they get older.
I'm glad to see there are still some nice people out there. It's true, I must admit, when I was younger I never thought I would be riding a bent. Now that I have one I don't know why it took me so long to get here. As far as I am concerned, if you're on a bike, any kind, you are my brother and sister. (Cheesy, I know)
Old 07-30-07, 08:05 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gew0419
As far as I am concerned, if you're on a bike, any kind, you are my brother and sister. (Cheesy, I know)
Not at all.
Old 07-31-07, 10:42 PM
Tomo44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i see a lot of friendly riders as i ride down marine drive a lot. try there because usually people that ride down there are just relaxing and cruising on nice sunny day
Old 08-06-07, 02:09 PM
djbrkns

Bikes: Trek Portland, Schwinn Woodlands - a cast off from the attic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a friendly, but not outgoing person so I rarely initiate contact with people in any situation. I have a nervous habit of grinning a lot which helps to reduce the snob affect. When I first started commuting I loved being part of the cycling community, but felt I was joining a long established club. I hid the newby grin to blend in. Today, I feel warm fuzzies for every cyclist that passes, but keep it to myself. I assume every cyclist feels the same tribal affinity for other cyclists whether they show it or not. I do try to return waves and comments, but still don’t usually initiate. Shoot, I even tie my bike up next to 75 other bikes at the Lucky Lab Brewpub on a Monday and go sit at a table by myself to read a book. I like being alone in a crowd, (which reminds me, today is Monday). I’m going to loose that opportunity pretty quick, if I keep going on these organized Bike Master Plan, Hottest Day of the Year, BTA and other cycling events.
Old 08-06-07, 03:14 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

seriously, the ridiculous and arbitrary subdivisions between all the different types of cyclists in Portland does more to hold cyclists back as a political force than anything else. unified, who knows what can be accomplished???
I don't see mass gangs of Fred's or trail rats picketing city hall with what they need as equal rights. There are people in Hillsboro, Portland , Gresham, Beaverton and Vancouver and a few other cities that make up our cycling culture - and we can't drive the agenda of a place where we don't pay the taxes or vote. Bike clubs have to be the mobility of the movement in our sub culture which every year gets larger and larger. We have Mia Birk whom was just wrote up in the Oregonian about her value to bicyclist and how it turned out to make Portland #1 as a cycling community. ( we had help form all the other cities mentioned before)
Old 08-06-07, 04:08 PM
TLN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well its just not Portland... its all over. Even one single subdivision (and thats any of them) cannot even hold together. Roadies rag on other roadies if they arent quite riding a certain level of quality bike, mtbers rag on each other if one isnt riding a full suspension or hard tail... even the fixies rag on each other for being a poser, not riding a Japanese made frame etc... its all over and its all crap. I consider myself a hardcore rider (roadie, fixed, track and x-country mtber). I was flung crap by another roadie because I had a tattoo. This, coming from some over weight full kitted poser on a lower end bike. I just had to laugh because that was insane.

In my experience Portland is one of the better and easier cities to ride in on the west side, regardless of what type of bike you ride.
Old 08-06-07, 04:15 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLN
Well its just not Portland... its all over. Even one single subdivision (and thats any of them) cannot even hold together. Roadies rag on other roadies if they arent quite riding a certain level of quality bike, mtbers rag on each other if one isnt riding a full suspension or hard tail... even the fixies rag on each other for being a poser, not riding a Japanese made frame etc... its all over and its all crap. I consider myself a hardcore rider (roadie, fixed, track and x-country mtber). I was flung crap by another roadie because I had a tattoo. This, coming from some over weight full kitted poser on a lower end bike. I just had to laugh because that was insane.

In my experience Portland is one of the better and easier cities to ride in on the west side, regardless of what type of bike you ride.
Eastside is pretty cool too. Dont forget us
V
Old 08-06-07, 04:17 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mia Birk

Good article on this subject
See you on the road...

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...480.xml&coll=7
Old 09-08-07, 12:15 PM
gew0419

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Not at all.
At my age I have ridden them all, Schwinn sting ray to Volks-cycle ten speed to high class road bike (given to me) to Schwinn Mt bike to recumbent. I love all my brothers and sisters on two and three wheels.
As long as you are burning calories and not gas, I love you.
Old 09-08-07, 12:27 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Roadies are like that everywhere. I give the ones who look like Lance a pass, but the ones with guts that hang down onto their toptube who sneer and don't wave are unforgivable.
Old 09-09-07, 11:29 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm ok with not waving or even smiling - there are literally way too many of us on the roads here for that. All I ask is a neutral facial expression - that is, not a frown or a sneer.
Old 09-10-07, 04:08 AM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
This is a pic of my Vanilla frame, awaiting paint and assembly. I can't freakin' wait!
Disappointed in Portland...hahaha. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that I'd have more money than Bill Gates.

BTW...don't let Rad start recommending painters for your frame. If he does, chuck micro-brew bottles at him till he stops.
Old 09-10-07, 11:07 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoomer

BTW...don't let Rad start recommending painters for your frame. If he does, chuck micro-brew bottles at him till he stops.
Poor Rad...it would drive me mad to have my bicycle sitting in someone's shop for um....how many years? Two? Three?

Too long, at any rate.

East Hill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.