Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Old carbon frame for fixie?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 10:30 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a shot at a 62cm Miyata Carbon Fiber frame. It looks old - so I'm wondering - anyone know about this frame?

Old 04-30-07, 10:33 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why the hell not?
Old 04-30-07, 10:40 PM
calf man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only if you have a smokin deal on that frame.
Those drops out might be challenging unless you get a rotating hub.
Old 04-30-07, 11:24 PM
metallo pesante
Car magnet

Bikes: 80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in my personal opinion, i don't really trust carbon fiber that much, not after seeing this happen to my friend on his carbon frame.

he got hit and his frame snapped in half at the head tube, broke both his thumbs and smashed his face up real bad.
Old 04-30-07, 11:26 PM
bottom-bracket
Bike Honky

Bikes: KHS touring thing that's old, French? fixxie, 69 schwinn stingray show bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metallo pesante
he got hit

woulda gone down anyhow
Old 05-01-07, 04:51 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
in my personal opinion, i don't really trust carbon fiber that much, not after seeing this happen to my friend on his carbon frame.
he got hit and his frame snapped in half at the head tube, broke both his thumbs and smashed his face up real bad.
I hope he's recovered well.
Old 05-01-07, 04:57 AM
Boss Moniker
It's an old photo

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I say anything you should note that I don't know much about frame construction, or anything about Miyata. But....

You sure that isn't carbon-wrapped? Even in the beginning of using carbon for frames they'd use the oversized tubing you see on bikes now.

My opinion, is if it's carbon-wrapped, go for it. If not, I probably wouldn't ride it.
Old 05-01-07, 08:17 AM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why anyone would buy used carbon is beyond me. Maybe if it was from a trustworthy friend, or a screaming deal on a hott bike, but a Miyata carbon? I'd pick a steel Miyata way ahead of that.

And beware frames without a fork. Unless it's a newish minty frame being sold sans fourchette, I'd stress about the reasons behind its mysterious absence.
Old 05-01-07, 08:37 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you won't trust a frame can fail as it's being hit(which means every ****ing frame every made) but you were willing to ride around brakeless on a welded freewheel even after the first time it failed on you.

You sir are a man of many contradictions or little capacity for rational analysis(I guess your incomprehensibly ****ty tattoos make that pretty clear though).

Save your scare mongering for people who are moronic enough to put any stock in it. Any frame can snap in a crash.

That said I probably wouldn't buy this frame either. Old cf frames were not properly uv shielded and prone to degradation if not properly cared for. Plus damage cannot be assesed at all from that picture. If it's free or near free it might be worth it but without knowing more about it I would shy away.
Old 05-01-07, 05:11 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calf man
Only if you have a smokin deal on that frame.
Those drops out might be challenging unless you get a rotating hub.
That bike has long enough horizontal dropouts, I don't know what your talking about.
Old 05-01-07, 05:24 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know that frame,it's an '89 to '91 frame,carbon with forged aluminum lugs.Some folkes got paranoid about the adhesive/lugged design,Miyata prepared for the anticipated such clamor and prepared the LBSs and whoeever else to respond to such concerns.Wive's tails may exist but few(none that I know of)failures occured.They had an SR aluminum fork which was a bone of contention in later years as well.Miyats used to set such frames up at bike-trade shows,having a machine flex and stress them for thousands of hours to prove a point.Giant and Specialized did better with there carbon alum-lugged offerings from a commercial standpioint,they were no better though,Miyata was sffering tough times by then for may reasons,nothing to do with product quality.I rode one of them suckers,blip,blip,blip as I'd go over small bumbs,my second carbon bike road test,I was more than impressed.It had Ultegra.
Old 05-01-07, 05:27 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
after readin' more ..I'll add,; carbon fiber is the least dangerous aspect of fixed-gear riding,what ,with the brakes(lack of) and all.
Old 05-01-07, 05:29 PM
TLN

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Super Leggera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Any frame can snap in a crash.
Pick your words properly. The only frames that can snap are CF and Aluminum. Steel will fracture and tear, which in some cases can prevent a catastrophic event.
Old 05-01-07, 06:16 PM
schnee

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
You sir are a man of many contradictions or little capacity for rational analysis(I guess your incomprehensibly ****ty tattoos make that pretty clear though).
I.... I think I love you.

*swoons*
Old 05-01-07, 07:16 PM
calf man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kemmer
That bike has long enough horizontal dropouts, I don't know what your talking about.
You are correct. I didn't take a close enough at the photo. Those dropouts are fine.
Old 05-01-07, 07:29 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get hit and you're on aluminum or carbon you're going to find similar failures. Stick with steel if you're paranoid.

What I really want: a steel/carbon hybrid track bike like the one Jamis sells. Bombproof and light!
Old 05-01-07, 07:31 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calf man
You are correct. I didn't take a close enough at the photo. Those dropouts are fine.
I thought fixie/ss when I saw the dropouts. I think I can make it an all black (except wheelset) lightweight bike.
It looks like I won't get the frame - the Craigslist poster just stopped communicating - probably got overwhelmed by offers - it was listed at $75 and he said it was unused.
Old 05-01-07, 07:40 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I really don't understand how a frame material will makes a differnence in a crash. If you want something to protect you in a crash, buy a volvo not a bike.
Old 05-01-07, 08:04 PM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've heard, the problem with carbon (and aluminum) that you don't know the history of is that it can fail suddenly without showing like steel. If it was stressed previously it might not fail right away, but if it does fail you won't have any warning. It's not what happens in a crash you have to worry about, it's a part failing suddenly and leading to a crash. I was shopping for a used carbon fork, but I've since decided that's not such a good idea.
Old 05-01-07, 11:40 PM
metallo pesante
Car magnet

Bikes: 80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
So you won't trust a frame can fail as it's being hit(which means every ****ing frame every made) but you were willing to ride around brakeless on a welded freewheel even after the first time it failed on you.

Save your scare mongering for people who are moronic enough to put any stock in it. Any frame can snap in a crash.

That said I probably wouldn't buy this frame either. Old cf frames were not properly uv shielded and prone to degradation if not properly cared for. Plus damage cannot be assesed at all from that picture. If it's free or near free it might be worth it but without knowing more about it I would shy away.
you sound like a smart man...</sarcasm>.

Everybody does more than one stupid thing in their life. I made a choice, weld a freewheel, or ride SS, no brakes. so i welded. it worked...for 6 days, i didn't get hurt nor did anyone else.

As for my ****ty tattoos, i'll let myself be the judge of that.

And for the actual bike related part of your simple minded attack against my integrity, i just don't trust carbon, i've seen it break to many times, my friends carbon seatpost snapped one day when he hit a bump, so a carbon frame is out of the question.

I'll take a solid, steel frame any day over some light as ***** carbon frame.

oh and i see you live in georgia, where from. Atlanta? we should meet sometime. maybe you could talk your ***** to my face.
Old 05-02-07, 05:56 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you sound like a smart man...</sarcasm>.

Everybody does more than one stupid thing in their life. I made a choice, weld a freewheel, or ride SS, no brakes. so i welded. it worked...for 6 days, i didn't get hurt nor did anyone else.

As for my ****ty tattoos, i'll let myself be the judge of that.

And for the actual bike related part of your simple minded attack against my integrity, i just don't trust carbon, i've seen it break to many times, my friends carbon seatpost snapped one day when he hit a bump, so a carbon frame is out of the question.

I'll take a solid, steel frame any day over some light as ***** carbon frame.

oh and i see you live in georgia, where from. Atlanta? we should meet sometime. maybe you could talk your ***** to my face.
If I ever have the hilarious experience of seeing those tats in person I will now make a point of talking **** to your face... happy? If it makes you happier I have posted them on other messages boards where everyone had an good chuckle about both the theme(it's a fixie I swear) and the incompetency of the execution.

You clearly don't have much experience with bikes(your ill conceived brakeless was a year ago?) and it always seems to be people like that who go on these cf is untrustworthy cause I've seen it fail rants.

The fact that the one you posted involved someone getting hit makes this one exceptionally asinine. Any bike can snap/fracture(there is no ****ing difference) when it gets hit. Steel, Al, CF, Be whatever. Quite frankly when you are getting hit a frame failing beneath you is the least of your worries unless one of the snapped/fractured(they are ****ing synonyms you semantic arguing fools) tubes impales you.

If you don't want to buy a cf frame fine but absurd rants like this that always pop up on CF threads should be met with the derision they deserve.
Old 05-02-07, 09:20 AM
myAWESOMEbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set it up as a fixed gear with an ENO hub, ride it very gently, listening for cracks and creaks as you ride. Use good parts on it that you know aren't going to break, so if you hear any noise you can eliminate the other parts as the culprit. Check over every piece of the frame to make sure it is all in one piece, and eyeball it from various angles to make sure it's aligned. Also...why do you want to do this anyway?
Old 05-02-07, 10:37 AM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myAWESOMEbike
Set it up as a fixed gear with an ENO hub, ride it very gently, listening for cracks and creaks as you ride. Use good parts on it that you know aren't going to break, so if you hear any noise you can eliminate the other parts as the culprit. Check over every piece of the frame to make sure it is all in one piece, and eyeball it from various angles to make sure it's aligned. Also...why do you want to do this anyway?
He doesn't need an ENO, it has horizontal dropouts. He doesn't need to ride it very gently, it's not made of tissue paper. I would carefully inspect it and ride the hell out of it.
Old 05-02-07, 10:49 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
This auction has a lot of pictures of a similar carbon fibre frame from Miyata. Miyata is a great company and their steel bikes are pure sex, I think that if it fits you and it is a good price, get it. However, I would also add that building a conversion is kind of expensive and you will probably like fixed riding enough to want to purchase a true track frame one day anyways, so why not get it now?

Email this guy to see what he thinks, he built one with the frame I linked above.
Old 05-02-07, 11:27 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet
you will probably like fixed riding enough to want to purchase a true track frame one day anyways, so why not get it now?.
Why would liking fixed riding make him want to purchase a "true track frame." Just because many hipsters are trend following sheep and are convinced that something that says track on it is the best choice for riding around town does not mean they are better suited to this poster or that he will succumb to the desire to fit in with everyone else that you apparently have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.