Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Old 03-25-20, 05:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 256 Posts
Yeah some are not thinking! Like the eight or so college kids living behind me who are out playing beer pong today. We are under statewide SIP orders with limited travels. And I went outside and got closer than six feet to a neighbor who was trying to commit suicide by tree. I wound up using my chain saw for about twenty minutes outside on a nice sunny 60* day. But not something I planned for, and it isn't quite as easy to self distance after so many years of not having to. I'm buckling in for this ride as I see it become quite a dizzying one after the numbers posted today. MH
Old 03-25-20, 05:30 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
There was no panic beforehand. Not for Sars, Bird, Swine, Mers, Ebola, Zika, Ebola 2. Not even for vaccineless HIV

Only now.

We can agree that people think differently. Some not at all.
How are you defining “panic”? I define it as over-reacting and doing stupid things as a result.

Other then people buying more toilet paper than they need, I’m not seeing panic. If anything I am seeing too much complacency. In terms of shutdowns, that's not panic, that is taking an unprecedented step in reaction to an unprecedented problem.

If you think any of those other diseases are a precedent, they are not. Every scenario is different, and this is very different from any of those.

We did not go with lockdowns for the other things you mention because they were either
a) not as big of a threat (ebola, Sars, mers, swine flu),
b) were not transferred person to person (Zika), or
c) are an example of something we SHOULD have taken a lot more seriously (AIDS). Though I am not sure a lockdown would really apply there anyway

But in any event, I disagree about there not being panic for all those other cases.

There WAS unnecessary panic over Ebola. CDC was clear that there was very little risk of it spreading in the US, but many people (including the current US president) still freaked out over letting medical volunteers back in the country.

No panic over AIDS? Where were you in the 80s? , if you think nobody was terrified of AIDS, you clearly did not know many gay people during the 80s. And if you think nobody panicked you then don’t remember the fear people had that gays were going to infect swimming pools and toilet seats (despite evidence to the contrary) You don’t remember schools not wanting to take kids with AIDS. In short, people lost their freaking minds and were acting every version of stupid there is.

If people are freaked out and scared right now, they have damn good reason.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-25-20 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-25-20, 05:50 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
What kind of test? If its ready in 3 hours I am thinking some kind of serological test for antibodies.
I thought they were just automatically quarantining everybody for 14 days, to help support the hotel business. Maybe it depends on where you are disembarking. Is that in Shanghai?
Shanghai will perform nucleic acid testing on all travelers arriving from abroad ? Shanghaiist

I'll take a guess that this test probably isn't the most accurate, better than nothing I suppose.

Either way its a huge undertaking, and a massive risk for those on the front line.

I determined back in mid January the best strategy for me is to shelter in place.

The best laid plans......

Old 03-25-20, 06:15 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no...ted-2020-03-05

Troubling stories about steep medical bills have been spreading along with the disease. In Miami, a man who got tested after a work trip to China reportedly racked up $3,270 in hospital charges. A Pennsylvania man set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for $3,918 in surprise bills after he was evacuated from China and quarantined with his three-year-old daughter.

In Kansas, a debate coach who traveled to Shanghai for a tournament in mid-January was tested at a Kansas hospital for the coronavirus and other ailments and received a $983 bill a few weeks later, he told MarketWatch. ……

Going forward, tests will be conducted at sites including hospitals. And those sites will most likely want to bill an insurer, Kates [Jen Kates, senior vice president and director of global health and HIV policy at Kaiser Family Foundation] said. So how much will it cost patients to get the coronavirus test? “It is going to be a function of whether or not they are insured and what kind of coverage they have,” Kates said. “They could face the cost of a doctor’s office or hospital outpatient or ER visit — a particular issue for those who are uninsured or have a high deductible.”
You are not reading the whole story. Stop spreading ignorance and paranoia. Stick to facts...not fear.

The rest of the story for the guy who was charged $3,270 says "Hospital officials at Jackson told the Miami Herald that, based on his insurance, Azcue would only be responsible for $1,400 of that bill, but Azcue said he heard from his insurer that he would also have to provide additional documentation: three years of medical records to prove that the flu he got didn’t relate to a preexisting condition" Thats only common sense. And the guy who recieved a bill for $983 is par for an emergency room visit for anything. And if you don't have any insurance at all, well, you deserve to pay for everything.
Old 03-25-20, 06:33 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Shanghai will perform nucleic acid testing on all travelers arriving from abroad ? Shanghaiist

I'll take a guess that this test probably isn't the most accurate, better than nothing I suppose.

Either way its a huge undertaking, and a massive risk for those on the front line.

I determined back in mid January the best strategy for me is to shelter in place.

The best laid plans......

Pretty fast turn around to get a nucleic acid test back in three hours. Part of the problem is that none of the tests are that accurate.
Anyway thanks for the update.
Stay safe.
Likes For skookum:
Old 03-25-20, 06:35 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 42 Posts
Just received a call from WNV on the phone (West Nile Virus) and it was miffed after reading my last post in this thread. "I didn't cause frantic panic like Corona is doing either, so why wasn't I included on that list with all the other pandemics... eh? No one has even bothered to develop a vaccine in my name and force people to take it!.", it exclaimed.

Sorry 'bout that fella, whoopsiedaisy!
Old 03-25-20, 09:36 PM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
All you people who think this virus is not real .... please, spend as much time as possible in crowds. Really prove your point and lick toilet seats like that idiot who posted "The Corona Challenge" and is now hospitalized with that fake CCP virus that everyone knows isn't real.
Would you have a link to the above?
I googled, but so far I can only see people who have been licking toilet seats and licking goods in Walmart. I haven't managed to find someone who has contracted it through these stupid stunts.
Old 03-25-20, 09:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by JackieYan View Post
I googled, but so far I can only see people who have been licking toilet seats and licking goods in Walmart. I haven't managed to find someone who has contracted it through these stupid stunts.
I saw it in a social media feed. if I see it again i might remember and save it. I think IFLScience had something on a guy who got arrested for terrorist threats for posting video of him licking Walmart merchandise .... but the guy who was licking toilet seats on video had a specific name (might have been gay-something, not sure (and not as a sexist joke, that was his twitter handle, i guess)) definitely was reported as hospitalized with the virus.

With today's media, it is hard to know, for sure.
Old 03-25-20, 09:45 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 89 Posts
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-toilet.html
Old 03-25-20, 09:59 PM
JackieYan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Hmm, I don't know if you're a Brit, but the Daily Mail doesn't exactly have a good reputation when it comes to reporting correct information. It's just a sensationalist 'newspaper'.

I see the article says the guy "claims" he's in hospital, but not a mention of where, or any attempt to contact the alleged hospital:
"A California 'influencer' has claimed he is in hospital with coronavirus just days after posting a video of himself licking a toilet bowl for a revolting TikTok challenge."

Not wishing to detract from the seriousness of all this, but The Daily Mail is not exactly a newspaper to believe.
Old 03-25-20, 10:11 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 89 Posts
Hmm, I don't know if you're a Brit, but the Daily Mail doesn't exactly have a good reputation when it comes to reporting correct information. It's just a sensationalist 'newspaper'.

I see the article says the guy "claims" he's in hospital, but not a mention of where, or any attempt to contact the alleged hospital:
"A California 'influencer' has claimed he is in hospital with coronavirus just days after posting a video of himself licking a toilet bowl for a revolting TikTok challenge."

Not wishing to detract from the seriousness of all this, but The Daily Mail is not exactly a newspaper to believe.
I have no idea on the accuracy of the article. I posted the link for you to follow on up since you asked. The article names the Youtube person who licked the toilet.

Last edited by CycleryNorth81; 03-25-20 at 10:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-25-20, 10:13 PM
JackieYan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
I have no idea on the accuracy of the article. I posted the link for you to follow up on if you wanted to look into it further.
OK no problem. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-26-20, 12:41 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
https://archive.today/

Information overload is in full effect.

I think some of us might be literally going stir crazy.

Its OK to take a break from the internet for awhile, I do it ALL the time.

Its like watching a slow motion train wreck, its thrilling and terrifying all at the same time.

Old 03-26-20, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3983 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Just received a call from WNV on the phone (West Nile Virus) and it was miffed after reading my last post in this thread. "I didn't cause frantic panic like Corona is doing either, so why wasn't I included on that list with all the other pandemics... eh? No one has even bothered to develop a vaccine in my name and force people to take it!.", it exclaimed.

Sorry 'bout that fella, whoopsiedaisy!

Please inform the coronavirus that it's required to follow precedent and stop having an exponential spread rate and relatively high rate of death AND severe complications. Apparently it didn't get your genius memo.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-26-20, 06:44 AM
Jicafold

As for why i didn't copy and paste the entire article .... because I POSTED THE LINK so people who wanted to could read the entire article.

In reply to the person claiming that testing was free and readily available .... who refuses to admit that neither is particularly true .... and who says people with no insurance deserve to die,

Lost your job because of the virus and can't pay your insurance premium because the kids need food? Then you deserve to die, says @Jicafold.

Yeah. Pretty clear what sort of human you are, dude.
? No. That's not what I am saying. Many articles say the testing itself is free. I said nothing about it being readily available. I also said that anyone who doesn't have insurance should be charged for the testing. Just like whatever else they may go to the ER for...car accident, chest pain, etc. I'm not saying anyone deserves to die. They can still choose to seek healthcare. They can pay then or later. The ER won't turn away a true emergency. You are making quite an assumption there. You can't just keep misquoting everything you hear and read...that's how this gets spun out of control and spreads paranoia and misinformation.

Regardless, that's not even true anymore. In NY they will pay even for the uninsured. I expect other regions will follow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/03/h...uninsured.html

Last edited by Jicafold; 03-26-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-26-20, 06:59 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
You are not reading the whole story. Stop spreading ignorance and paranoia. Stick to facts...not fear.

The rest of the story for the guy who was charged $3,270 says "Hospital officials at Jackson told the Miami Herald that, based on his insurance, Azcue would only be responsible for $1,400 of that bill, but Azcue said he heard from his insurer that he would also have to provide additional documentation: three years of medical records to prove that the flu he got didn’t relate to a preexisting condition" Thats only common sense. And the guy who recieved a bill for $983 is par for an emergency room visit for anything. And if you don't have any insurance at all, well, you deserve to pay for everything.
I'm so glad I don't live in the USA. Even your attempts at putting a positive spin on this make the situation look terrible to me. $1000 to go to the emergency room? That's insane.
Old 03-26-20, 07:04 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
I'm so glad I don't live in the USA. Even your attempts at putting a positive spin on this make the situation look terrible to me. $1000 to go to the emergency room? That's insane.
True. It's becoming an obstacle for the middle class. I have excellent insurance and was still billed $940 after insurance coverage for an ER visit for a piece of metal in my eye. Likewise, if I went there for suspect coronavirus symptoms and testing I would expect to pay ...$940. Socialized medicine clearly has it's benefits.
Old 03-26-20, 07:09 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Please inform the coronavirus that it's required to follow precedent and stop having an exponential spread rate and relatively high rate of death AND severe complications. Apparently it didn't get your genius memo.
The fact that these mind-numbingly stupid comparisons to completely different diseases persists just goes to show how bad many people are at understanding the situation.

Its like there is a guy that just blew up two other houses parked outside in a tank with the cannon pointed at your house and reloading.

And some people are like “Calm down, nobody got this freaked out when that kid was throwing rocks last year. This guy has not even broken a window yet”
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-26-20, 08:48 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post

Nucleic acid, is in RNA or DNA, is the most specific SARS-Cov-2 testing in existence. So, that should clear that up for you. (I perform that “better than nothing” type of testing.)
Old 03-26-20, 09:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
It was more than that for an ambulance ride to another hospital - because the hospital that my insurance company insisted on didn't have ICU capability for a chest tube. ER itself would have been more, had I not already reached my max out of pocket ($12,000 IIRC) and this was supposedly good insurance by a top carrier. Health providers will lie and say their part is covered, and bill you for it later. It's broken and it won't be fixed by shuffling around who pays for insurance and how. A complete overhaul, top to bottom, is the only way Americans will get relief from this.

Going to an ER now for an injury, when they're struggling with this virus, is a nightmare scenario.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-26-20, 09:45 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 256 Posts
Enough with arguing, personal insults, and attacks towards each other. It’s an obviously stressful time. But that’s not an excuse for some of these posts that do nothing but start or escalate arguments.
Old 03-26-20, 09:46 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
It was more than that for an ambulance ride to another hospital - because the hospital that my insurance company insisted on didn't have ICU capability for a chest tube. .
This is where they always try to get you. The ambulance transfer. If it's not your fault that you were taken to the wrong hospital initially or your choice of where you wanted to go, this should be paid by either the hospital or insurance. This same scenario was on the news here lately. They tried to bill the patient for over $8000 for an ambulance transfer. He wasn't even conscious and was driven to the wrong hospital initially which could not provide his care. The hospital ended up paying for it.
Old 03-26-20, 10:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
This is where they always try to get you. The ambulance transfer. If it's not your fault that you were taken to the wrong hospital initially or your choice of where you wanted to go, this should be paid by either the hospital or insurance. This same scenario was on the news here lately. They tried to bill the patient for over $8000 for an ambulance transfer. He wasn't even conscious and was driven to the wrong hospital initially which could not provide his care. The hospital ended up paying for it.
Insurance paid for it in the end after some negotiation, but they were coming at me for it until the bitter end. Not just the ambulance - every specialist including the surgeon. I validated coverage for everything before allowing it, every step, and also had my wife call the insurance company and have them confirm it. Post-op drugged up and with a haphazard chest tube. I wasn't going on the ambulance unless covered. That they all lied, or changed their minds later who knows, is why I wasn't going to pay a dime more than my policy required. And they want to charge double, or more, than their negotiated prices. To me it illustrates what has gone terribly wrong with our for-profit health care system. It's basically fraud if the same were done by any other business, and a patient in bad enough condition won't usually balk at it.
Old 03-26-20, 11:31 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3983 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Enough with arguing, personal insults, and attacks towards each other. It’s an obviously stressful time. But that’s not an excuse for some of these posts that do nothing but start or escalate arguments.

Honest question, though--is general cycling the place for a thread for people to argue about the causes, spread and severity of the virus? I get that it's supposed to be ok to walk away from an argument, but when people start minimizing the danger of this virus, that's actually dangerous misinformation that needs to be answered.

This thread's OP was only tangentially related to cycling and it's drifted farther and farther away from it. Can it be closed or moved at this point?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-26-20, 12:11 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 42 Posts
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.