Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Coastal, foothills, desert, mountains, basins? preference?

Notices
Southern California Southern California
View Poll Results: coastal? foothills? deserts? mountains? basins/flats?
coastal
38.10%
foothills
14.29%
deserts
4.76%
mountains
42.86%
basins/flats
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-20, 07:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts

what's your fave terrain? the coast? up and downs of the foothills? solitude of the deserts? extreme ups/downs of the mountains or the relative flats of the basins?
i get there are (loong) rides that tackle all of the above in socal but if you could only ride one terrain year-round, which would it be?

Last edited by diphthong; 05-02-20 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 03:44 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I chose to live at the foot of several HC, Cat 1 and Cat 2 climbs. Being a non-climber, it's taken some getting used to. I have not ridden on the flats for almost a year. I have 34 tooth cassettes now, and check my brakes before every ride. The area I ride in reminds me very much of the Vuelta a Espaņa.

It's great to be able watch the weather conditions closely from the foot of a climb, as rain passes through, and decide when it's safe to do a ride, something that's impossible if you are driving there from someone else and relying on radar and weather forecasts. It's also great to know that any time I get tired of climbing, all I have to do is make a U-turn and coast home to food and a warm bed.

No regrets whatsoever. And the fact the area rural and is sparsely populated is a bonus. More time spent driving to work, but I write off my mileage as a business deduction, so that works out well.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-03-20, 10:12 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I love being 5 miles from the coast and PCH. I'm able to jump on PCH at Seal Beach and then head South. I pick my distance and usually just do and out-and-back ride. There are literally 100's of places to stop and get a bite to eat or pull over and enjoy the view. In the spring and summer with the sun shinning and the cool breeze along the coast... I love it. I never get tired of it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-03-20, 10:59 AM
TJKnight

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoy riding in the San Gabriel Mountains.
Likes For TJKnight:
Old 05-04-20, 08:01 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Since the foothills are right outside my home, that is the easiest to access and the most enjoyable with a mix of climbs thrown in. I can average about the same rate of climb as when I ride the San Gabriels. However, a mix of terrains is always welcomed just to shake things up w/ changes in scenery.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-04-20, 09:28 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I have always loved the mountains but being old and fat has made climbing even harder than it used to be. I like riding where there aren't a lot of cars. I hate PCH when it's busy (almost always) and Saturday I went to Angeles Crest and it was a zoo with all the race cars and motos. Last time I went to GMR it was closed to cars which was wonderful. The last 3 times I went over Little Tujunga it was very quiet and the last time I did Bouquet to Spunky to Elizabeth Lake road it was awesome, hardly any traffic.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-04-20, 09:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by TJKnight
I enjoy riding in the San Gabriel Mountains.
I thought you owned the San Gabriel Mountains.
Old 05-04-20, 06:48 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I ride in the Eastern Sierra whenever I can but usually ride in Orange County in Santiago, Live Oak and Silverado Canyons.
Likes For fastcarbon:
Old 05-05-20, 01:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I voted for coast, just because I live on the coast, it's a beautiful ride, and I can roll from my front door.
Traffic can obviously be problematic, but I tend to start my rides at the crack of dawn.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-05-20, 02:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
What's the point of limiting yourself to one type of terrain when we live near it all?

I like the coast, better weather in the summer and it's a bit of a haul for me so I'll pick that.
Old 05-05-20, 04:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This isn't really a California-centric poll. Many of us can experience all of those environments in the span of a single ride-- that's part of why we put up with living here. I'm within 5 miles of everything except the coastline.
Old 05-06-20, 12:42 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
If you ain't climbing, you ain't riding.
Old 05-06-20, 12:52 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

ouch.
Old 05-06-20, 07:15 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
I voted coastal since you didn't specify where on the coast I'd head up to the central California coastline all the way to Oregon.
West
Old 05-06-20, 09:29 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I never thought of my riding in this way, but now that you mentioned it - I'm definitely a "foothills" guy. I like variety and living in South OC, all I need is to get out of my house and I'm in the foothills. #2 is deserts, my favourite organized rides are in AZ. Coastal - meh. It is scenic and cool in summer, but the coastal roads are fested with cars driven by distracted *******s. Mountains - no. I'm a lousy climber (especially for my body type) and not much better of a descender. I ride there because everybody else does, but to go there on my own will - naah. Maybe do GMR a couple of times in the summer when the road is closed, but that's about it. And no Baldy!
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 05-06-20, 09:47 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
I never thought of my riding in this way, but now that you mentioned it - I'm definitely a "foothills" guy. I like variety and living in South OC, all I need is to get out of my house and I'm in the foothills. #2 is deserts, my favourite organized rides are in AZ. Coastal - meh. It is scenic and cool in summer, but the coastal roads are fested with cars driven by distracted *******s. Mountains - no. I'm a lousy climber (especially for my body type) and not much better of a descender. I ride there because everybody else does, but to go there on my own will - naah. Maybe do GMR a couple of times in the summer when the road is closed, but that's about it. And no Baldy!
just trying to get everyone to consciously realize their fetish terrain(s)/defaults and potentially nudge them into less traveled ones...