Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there any easier way to clean the surface of aluminum handlebars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 03:01 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I was using wd40 and it only removes some gunk, but not tape residues and oxidation and other stuff. Would nailpolish work? Or do I need a degreaser? Should I avoid chemical reactions altogether?

There was a recommendation for goof off sold in homedepot, but man, I have to spend 10 dollars to clean a handlebar? I would have trouble sleeping if I have to do that...

Old 05-14-20, 03:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check dollar stores for Goo Gone. The local Dollar Tree sells small bottles for a buck. More than enough for a handlebar.

Lemon Pledge and some other furniture polishes may work too. They sure get sticky stuff off dining tables.

Acetone and old style nail polish should work. Most nail polish now isn't acetone and while it works on nail polish it wasn't much good on sticky handlebar tape residue.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-14-20, 04:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Check dollar stores for Goo Gone. The local Dollar Tree sells small bottles for a buck. More than enough for a handlebar.

Lemon Pledge and some other furniture polishes may work too. They sure get sticky stuff off dining tables.

Acetone and old style nail polish should work. Most nail polish now isn't acetone and while it works on nail polish it wasn't much good on sticky handlebar tape residue.
I believe you intended to recommend nail polish REMOVER.
My first try would be odorless mineral spirits, the petroleum distillate kind, not the milky white water-based substitute.

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 05-14-20 at 05:01 AM.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-14-20, 05:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Any solvent should remove the tape residue. You are probably stuck with the discoloration and scratches unless you want to strip and polish. Original EZ Off oven cleaner has oxalic acid which will strip the coating (anodizing?) Then polish with Nevr Dull or whatever. Edit- no oxalic acid in EZ off.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-15-20 at 06:31 AM. Reason: I was wrong....
Old 05-14-20, 06:08 AM
tlema

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Palmolive Dish washing liquid mixed with water works just fine.
Old 05-14-20, 07:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Original EZ Off oven cleaner has oxalic acid which will strip the coating (anodizing?) Then polish with Nevr Dull or whatever.
AFAIK, EZ-Off's active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (lye), not oxalic acid. It will badly corrode aluminum very rapidly and I would avoid it completely.
Old 05-14-20, 07:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by tlema
Palmolive Dish washing liquid mixed with water works just fine.
And a Scotch-Brite® pad for the tough spots.
Old 05-14-20, 07:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
AFAIK, EZ-Off's active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (lye), not oxalic acid. It will badly corrode aluminum very rapidly and I would avoid it completely.
You could be right. IIRC I read about it on a bike forum Anyway, I used it once to strip the black off a Shimano RD and it seemed to work OK. I didn't leave it to soak, just monitored it and scrubbed with a toothbrush then rinsed. It left a black film that polished off easily. I may have just been lucky....
Old 05-14-20, 10:19 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
How good to you want it to look? The nice thing about aluminum is that you can sand and polish it to look as good or better than new. But I never worry that much about the parts that will get covered with bar tape...
Old 05-14-20, 06:34 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Go to the auto supply store and get some “Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish.” Doesn’t get the tape residue off but works very well on the oxidation. Brings out a nice shine.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-14-20, 06:43 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Why take it all off? Re-tape the bars and you won't see it.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-14-20, 08:58 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Ah damn it, all 3 dollar stores sold out on it.
Tried acetone nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, wd40 and car wash soap while scrubbing with a tile scrubber, and nothing budged at all.
Old 05-14-20, 09:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Paint the bars black.
Old 05-14-20, 09:29 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
For final cleanup

Likes For flangehead:
Old 05-14-20, 09:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Captain Planet,
I had about ten sets of vintage bars that needed cleaning after being in a fire. I found that the stripper for paint worked the best, but would not clean up pitting in the bars. That is one thing I am going to live with. Smiles, MH
Old 05-14-20, 09:44 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
OK, here is my secret weapon for sticky adhesive residue. When you really want it gone, gone, gone...
Coleman Lantern Fluid a/k/a white gas.

WARNING!!! HIGHLY FLAMMABLE and DO NOT BREATHE. USE OUTDOORS AND AWAY FROM FLAME OR SPARKS.

It does not evaporate as quickly as acetone or lacquer thinner.
Then wash the surface with dish detergent or alcohol to give a perfectly clean surface for the bar tape.
It works very well, removes decades old Velox Tressostar bar tape residue and tubular cement, and does not erode the existing polish or anodizing,

Using a scotchbrite pad will scratch the aluminum or anodizing and quickly discolor the alloy with oxidation unless you keep it polished and waxed.
Old 05-14-20, 10:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Any solvent should remove the tape residue. You are probably stuck with the discoloration and scratches unless you want to strip and polish. Original EZ Off oven cleaner has oxalic acid which will strip the coating (anodizing?) Then polish with Nevr Dull or whatever.
Easy-Off oven cleaner doesn’t contain oxalic acid, nor has it ever to my knowledge. It contains sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide breaks down biological material easier without forming dangerous fumes.

It might work but go very easy with it. Aluminum is a reactive metal. It reacts with sodium hydroxide particularly well and can even split the water to form hydrogen (not much, however). It is very good at making aluminum hydroxide which doesn’t make for very good handlebars.

There are a number of aluminum polishes around. Start with a coarse on and work down to the fine ones. On the other hand, most bars are going to be covered in tape so it hardly matters. New tape over the adhesive residue won’t even cause any problems.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-20, 11:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Why take it all off? Re-tape the bars and you won't see it.
...+1. But if you really must have it gone for reasons of personal preference, you can buy acetone in the paint department of Home Depot or most hardware and paint stores that will remove it...it's nail polish remover in larger quantity and maybe a little cheaper. You can use one of those 3M green scrubby pads to accelerate the process. Mostly, I don't bother any more. But sometimes I do if I'm using double sided tape under the bar tape to keep it from moving around.
Old 05-15-20, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...+1. But if you really must have it gone for reasons of personal preference, you can buy acetone in the paint department of Home Depot or most hardware and paint stores that will remove it...it's nail polish remover in larger quantity and maybe a little cheaper. You can use one of those 3M green scrubby pads to accelerate the process. Mostly, I don't bother any more. But sometimes I do if I'm using double sided tape under the bar tape to keep it from moving around.
Acetone doesn’t work on adhesives. It makes the problem worse in most cases because the adhesive becomes gummy and doesn’t come off. I have an older bottle of Goof Off smells like it is mostly ethyl acetate although the current MSDS says acetone, xylene, ethylbenzene, and methanol. They may have changed the formulation since I bought mine. I do know from personal experience that the acetone is ineffective. The part of the mixture that does the heavy lifting is the xylene and ethylbenzene. Mineral spirits works fairly well but requires more elbow grease than Goof Off does.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-20, 10:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Acetone doesn’t work on adhesives. It makes the problem worse in most cases because the adhesive becomes gummy and doesn’t come off. I have an older bottle of Goof Off smells like it is mostly ethyl acetate although the current MSDS says acetone, xylene, ethylbenzene, and methanol. They may have changed the formulation since I bought mine. I do know from personal experience that the acetone is ineffective. The part of the mixture that does the heavy lifting is the xylene and ethylbenzene. Mineral spirits works fairly well but requires more elbow grease than Goof Off does.
...thus the 3M scrubby pad. If I had not used it successfully a number of times, I would not be recommending it. Am I going to need to put you on ignore ?
Old 05-15-20, 01:20 PM
cyccommute 

Am I going to need to put you on ignore ?
Do what you think you need to do.

...thus the 3M scrubby pad. If I had not used it successfully a number of times, I would not be recommending it. ​​​​​
Why not just use water then. It’s about as effective, less expensive, and less flammable. Mineral spirits or Goof Off will remove it with less effort. All that’s needed is a rag.

But go ahead and make it harder.

Old 05-15-20, 01:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
What's the point of those bars? Steer with your feet?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-15-20, 09:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Do what you think you need to do.
This message is hidden because cyccommute is on your ignore list.

....thank you, Stewart.
Old 05-15-20, 10:46 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I had deep scratches on aluminum bars after a stem change. Wadded aluminum foil and Turtlewax Chrome polish did wonders. Shiny and good as new. The part under where the new tape goes isn't worth cleaning. Concentrate on the exposed shiny parts where there will be no tape.
Old 05-16-20, 01:03 AM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I am tempted to use steel wool, but I am afraid if I will be doing something stupid, go for it or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.