Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 05-24-20, 08:40 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: I finally have all the bikes I need. (Liar!)

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by KlunkerBiker View Post
I just wanted to drop a not and say your bike builds are fantastically well put together. Do you by chance have a thread where your entire collection is presented? Thanks in advance!

- Laurence
Hi Laurence,
I used to write for a local motorcycle magazine, and later had a couple blogs. That all ended in 2008 when the economy crashed, and I had to concentrate 100% on my "day job". I built several very cool motorbikes, in the Cafe Racer tradition, and that has informed much of the design ideas I use with bicycles, i.e. light weight, functionality, but all with a stylish panache that appeals to the soul of the traditional speed freak.

I haven't done a bicycle blog yet, or even a dedicated thread. For some silly reason, I don't feel I have "paid my dues" in this community sufficiently to rate as an expert worthy of a separate thread or blog. I only know what I like in bicycles, and what I have learned from some truly knowledgeable experts along the way. But the writing bug stays with you forever, and I've been itching to try something new along this line. Bear with me... eventually I won't be able to keep it all bottled up anymore, and will have to spew my nonsense upon a new audience. Hopefully I won't lead too many astray...

Thank you for a truly pleasant message.

DQRider

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 05-25-20 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-24-20, 09:05 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
here's mine, early 90's Specialized Hardrock Xtracycle FreeRadical conversion, gotta say, I love this thing. It's a Ford F-150 when I need it, and great for bike camping...
Likes For Edward1066:
Old 05-25-20, 11:00 AM
KlunkerBiker
Not-so-newbie

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider View Post
Hi Laurence,
I used to write for a local motorcycle magazine, and later had a couple blogs. That all ended in 2008 when the economy crashed, and I had to concentrate 100% on my "day job". I built several very cool motorbikes, in the Cafe Racer tradition, and that has informed much of the design ideas I use with bicycles, i.e. light weight, functionality, but all with a stylish panache that appeals to the soul of the traditional speed freak.

I haven't done a bicycle blog yet, or even a dedicated thread. For some silly reason, I don't feel I have "paid my dues" in this community sufficiently to rate as an expert worthy of a separate thread or blog. I only know what I like in bicycles, and what I have learned from some truly knowledgeable experts along the way. But the writing bug stays with you forever, and I've been itching to try something new along this line. Bear with me... eventually I won't be able to keep it all bottled up anymore, and will have to spew my nonsense upon a new audience. Hopefully I won't lead too many astray...

Thank you for a truly pleasant message.

DQRider

I think our hobby could use all the passionate contributors we can get. I look forward to whatever you happen to produce. I started out originally looking at and admiring many amazing bikes here on this site about 13 years ago (this is my second account as I had originally forgotten my password to the first). That lead me to home refurbishments and custom assemblies, then taking every class that UBI had to offer in 2009-2010, then opening my own bike shop for a few years where I had the pleasure to design and execute some other peoples dream bikes. Since closing down the shop I've taken about a 4 year hiatus from bikes in general but am excited to get back into the hobby.

Anyway, as I said before, I look forward to what you end up producing as you obviously have a very good eye for aesthetic. Definitely keep up the good work
Likes For KlunkerBiker:
Old 05-25-20, 06:45 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
another hipster bike

Here is another upright mtn bike I just finished. Black on black . Perfect for the Sillycone Valley hipster techie to ride to work at Google then cruise downtown Mountain View. I stole the tires from a Huffy cruiser . They look much better on the Trek. Note the skull design on the grips. It looks much better than the pictures show. I have got to get better at exposure settings.

Last edited by capnjonny; 05-25-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:32 PM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
Hereís mine: A $75.00 1997 Trek 820 done up with just the basics:
  • Big Ben Plusses ($70)
  • Some gaudy but functional KKT pedals from my parts bin ($0.00)
  • B17 saddle under the rain cover ($115)
  • Kool Stop pads ($20.00)
  • Cheap frame bag ($11.00)
  • Cheap mini pump ($9.00)
  • Crane bell ($15.00)
  • VO steering stabilizer ($10.00)
  • Sunlite front rack with Wald 139 basket ($40.00)
  • Topeak babyseat rear rack ($42.00)

Bike was very clean and in great condition, I only needed to do a basic tune up. So just over $400 all in for a decent bike that does all I need. I could have saved some money by using a cheap saddle and mounting the basket with the hardware Wald provides. I feel the value is pretty good for what this bike does.

Likes For blackbomber:
Old 06-02-20, 03:25 PM
daverup 

Bikes: 86 Centurion Ironman, 78 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 83 Schwinn Le Tour, 89 Diamondback Axis XT, 94 Schwinn Crosscut, 95 Trek 930, 2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 1994 Rans Tailwind, Couple of early 80's Mixte's, Dahon Speed 7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
A few more mods on my 95 Trek 930.

Rear rack and bag
Swapped out STX crank for Sugino Impel compact triple 94/58 with Vuelta chainrings, 48,38,28.
Likes For daverup:
Old 06-03-20, 08:40 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 63 Posts
More great bikes have been posted here recently.

Nicely done everyone!

In my area of the greater Dallas/ Ft Worth area I've been seeing so many more people out riding, especially families with the whole crew in tow.

I love it!

From what I read and see bikes are in great demand and these vintage conversions are just the ticket in my view for a comfortable, practical and modestly priced way to go.

For myself I've been out riding a bit more than typical tallying up about 600 miles the last 2 months which is not too bad for an old dude I think.
I'm trying to do many of my errands via bike these days.

Here's a pic of a typical grocery run.

Please keep the pics coming.

I'm contemplating my next build.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 06-03-20, 07:11 PM
Wilbur76

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I’m not allowed to post a pic until I have 10 posts Would love to share what I just picked up this week. Pics coming soon!
Old 06-03-20, 08:16 PM
KlunkerBiker
Not-so-newbie

Originally Posted by Wilbur76 View Post
Iím not allowed to post a pic until I have 10 posts Would love to share what I just picked up this week. Pics coming soon!

Go say hi to the new people in the introductions section 😎
Likes For KlunkerBiker:
Old 06-03-20, 08:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Liv Rove Lite, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76 View Post
Iím not allowed to post a pic until I have 10 posts Would love to share what I just picked up this week. Pics coming soon!
What brand and model is it?
Old 06-04-20, 05:21 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbomber View Post
Hereís mine: A $75.00 1997 Trek 820 done up with just the basics:
  • Big Ben Plusses ($70)
  • Some gaudy but functional KKT pedals from my parts bin ($0.00)
  • B17 saddle under the rain cover ($115)
  • Kool Stop pads ($20.00)
  • Cheap frame bag ($11.00)
  • Cheap mini pump ($9.00)
  • Crane bell ($15.00)
  • VO steering stabilizer ($10.00)
  • Sunlite front rack with Wald 139 basket ($40.00)
  • Topeak babyseat rear rack ($42.00)

Bike was very clean and in great condition, I only needed to do a basic tune up. So just over $400 all in for a decent bike that does all I need. I could have saved some money by using a cheap saddle and mounting the basket with the hardware Wald provides. I feel the value is pretty good for what this bike does.

Nice bike, BB! I like your no-nonsense approach. How does it handle with the VO steering stabilizer? Is the front basket less-likely to flop over when parked?

Has anyone noticed that Harbor Freight tools aren't so cheap anymore?
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 06-04-20, 05:42 AM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Nice bike, BB! I like your no-nonsense approach. How does it handle with the VO steering stabilizer? Is the front basket less-likely to flop over when parked?
So yeah, the stabilizer will definitely keep the bike stable when parked - provided the basket is empty or near empty. As far as how it handles when riding, when tensioned just enough to be able to keep the front end straight, it is not noticeable. If I crank the tension way up, it slows things down, which may or may not be beneficial, depending on what issues you're having. For $10, it's certainly worth a try, although get the correct one for your down tube diameter. I just received one of the (if not the) last RBW Clem Smith Jr. H frames. I'll be building up an all new bike to replace the Trek from that (using the new bits from the Trek such as seat, tires, etc). I don't think I want to put the stabilizer on the Riv. I think I might spring for a two legged upright stand for this build. I use a baby seat on the back often, so that would be great to have regardless.
Likes For blackbomber:
Old 06-04-20, 08:22 AM
Wilbur76

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KlunkerBiker View Post
Go say hi to the new people in the introductions section 😎
Posted pic in Show us your vintage mountain bike forum.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 06-04-20, 12:23 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee View Post
This is my Soulcraft Option 3. Made in 1999 by the guy who was head frame builder at Salsa when they sold to QBP in 1998. This is #018. Bought the frame from the contractor who helped them set up shop in Ross Shafersí barn in Petaluma, Ca.

Letís just say this has been one of my great bike loves. It started to fade a little over the years as it was eclipsed by a dual suspension, and then a 29er. It started to bum me out when I rode it, and that REALLY bummed me out. Last summer, riding it in Olympic National Park, I figured Iíd ditch the suspension fork, add a basket and some swept back bars, and see what happened. It was one of those setups that came out perfectly right out of the gate. The bar position is just amazing. I commute on it, explore on it, go to the store on it.

I thought it would be good to post, not because itís super-vintage, but because it was a good way to ditch a suspension fork that was sort of a turd. I see lots of hardtails on here that still have forks that were no fun when they were new; now theyíre toast! I had an lbs order me this Carver for $70. I made sure the axle-to-crown measurement was in the ballpark, and it turned out great. And with all that uncut steer tube, I could get very upright, indeed!
This is fantastic, love it.
I've also been posting in the drop bar thread but this thread has me second guessing my approach.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 06-19-20, 05:05 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Ok so I have a terrible habit of getting ahead of myself. This time it entails buying parts for my MTB build before finishing the frame (remove old rattle-can paint, patch scratches/dings in aluminum with JB Weld, re-paint with primer/paint/clear-coat). Looks like I'll be putting a swept-back cruiser style handlebar on this one.
Old 06-20-20, 07:21 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 90 Posts
I got this RockHopper frame from a LBS owner in our town. Probably late 80s based on the U-brake. He had it listed cheap on CL.

Iíve picked up an extra wheel set, this is for wet trails and has Race King Protection tires. The other wheels have well used RTPs.

Iím running an old SR road crank with a single 42 and six cassette cogs (14-28) in back.

Itís a 22Ē frame but I need a seat height over 32Ē so it needs a tall stem. I actually rode it with low drop bars until the pandemic, but with my 11yo home from school and wanting to ride, I needed a bike that I could also ride slow, so I got the tallest strong stem I could manage, using the long Nittto quill adapter and a 135mm riser stem. The bars are Sunliteís knockoff of the Albatross.

i use Sunrace friction stem shifters to keep the bars clear so I can use all parts of the bar during a ride.

The saddle is a Volt and the pedals are Odyssey Grandstand.

I have this bike and a Schwinn road frame from the late 80s and they both see a lot of use.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-20-20 at 07:36 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-21-20, 01:14 AM
Commando

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
This is awesome!

Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
I got this RockHopper frame from a LBS owner in our town. Probably late 80s based on the U-brake. He had it listed cheap on CL.

Iíve picked up an extra wheel set, this is for wet trails and has Race King Protection tires. The other wheels have well used RTPs.

Iím running an old SR road crank with a single 42 and six cassette cogs (14-28) in back.

Itís a 22Ē frame but I need a seat height over 32Ē so it needs a tall stem. I actually rode it with low drop bars until the pandemic, but with my 11yo home from school and wanting to ride, I needed a bike that I could also ride slow, so I got the tallest strong stem I could manage, using the long Nittto quill adapter and a 135mm riser stem. The bars are Sunliteís knockoff of the Albatross.

i use Sunrace friction stem shifters to keep the bars clear so I can use all parts of the bar during a ride.

The saddle is a Volt and the pedals are Odyssey Grandstand.

I have this bike and a Schwinn road frame from the late 80s and they both see a lot of use.

Otto

Old 06-21-20, 05:04 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1989 Marinoni Special, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 40 Posts
Really digging your trick with the reversed Oury grips here! going to copy that...

... long Nittto quill adapter and a 135mm riser stem. The bars are Sunliteís knockoff of the Albatross.

i use Sunrace friction stem shifters to keep the bars clear so I can use all parts of the bar during a ride. ...
Otto
Old 06-21-20, 09:05 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by niliraga View Post
Really digging your trick with the reversed Oury grips here! going to copy that...
Cool. Glad you like it. I just figured it would be a little extra cushion since I grip over the brake lever clamps a lot when climbing out of the saddle, which I do a lot. Hope it helps.

Otto
Old 06-21-20, 09:51 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Commando View Post
This is awesome!
Thanks! Much appreciated!

Otto
Old 06-21-20, 02:27 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1989 Marinoni Special, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 40 Posts
exactly, and that silly (for porteur bars) squishy bumper end finally gets to be useful!

Cool. Glad you like it. I just figured it would be a little extra cushion since I grip over the brake lever clamps a lot when climbing out of the saddle, which I do a lot. Hope it helps.

Otto
Old 06-24-20, 11:10 AM
CaliforniaSaga

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice looking bike, love the bull moose bars!
Old 06-24-20, 11:39 AM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Super Course, 81 DX2000 chrome Panasonic with Campy Group,74 steel Panasonic 21 inch modded, Ross MT Hood Chrome modded, Dahon Speed Uno modded

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Ross Mt Hood Chrome

I also have a schwinn high sierra that i want to make a single speed front rack beach town cruiser. Anyone have good ideas for a chrome road front fork with no brake mounts to replace the one I have?
Likes For @johnoliva1:
Old 06-24-20, 02:36 PM
KlunkerBiker
Not-so-newbie

Originally Posted by @johnoliva1 View Post

I also have a schwinn high sierra that i want to make a single speed front rack beach town cruiser. Anyone have good ideas for a chrome road front fork with no brake mounts to replace the one I have?
Great Looking bike! I want a chrome rig pretty bad right now...

As far as forks, you'll probably want to stay 26" for the proper fork trail. These should be available through most bike retailers: Chrome 26" Caliper forks

-LG
Old 06-24-20, 03:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quick update: I dropped the bars about an inch, which gives a nice mix of comfort, power and speed.

Also, I’ve switched over to the wheels with road tires. Had to put the worn out RTP on the rear wheel out to pasture, so now that wheel has a Continental Contact Speed 50-559. That tire seems to be just about as fast as the RTP which is great news. Had a great ride on it today! Does look odd with different tire styles.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-24-20 at 09:09 PM.
Likes For ofajen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.