Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with getting a chain, urgently

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 08:38 AM
peterh337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello All,

1st time I've had to do this... the chain has developed some stiff links and no oil can free them up. The bike, Sunn Shaman, is 5-10 years old.

Data: 9 gears on back, 3 on front. 106 links including the joining link (which is a quick release one, needing no tools). Chain internal width is 2.3mm (measured with a caliper). Overall chain length is 137cm.

I have no tools for link removal and need to purchase a chain which is the right length already. I could buy on Amazon and get it next day, if I had a P/N.

Any tips much appreciated...

Peter
Brighton, UK
Old 05-30-20, 08:46 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by peterh337
Hello All,

1st time I've had to do this... the chain has developed some stiff links and no oil can free them up. The bike, Sunn Shaman, is 5-10 years old.

Data: 9 gears on back, 3 on front. 106 links including the joining link (which is a quick release one, needing no tools). Chain internal width is 2.3mm (measured with a caliper). Overall chain length is 137cm.

I have no tools for link removal and need to purchase a chain which is the right length already. I could buy on Amazon and get it next day, if I had a P/N.

Peter
Brighton, UK
What groupset (e.g. Shimano, Campagnolo, etc.) is the componentry?
Old 05-30-20, 08:54 AM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am not sure but these are the various logos I can see

STYLO
SRAM X-O
44T95SPD
GXP
TRUVATIV
ELITIS SL

I believe Sunn is a French company. The bike was about 2k GBP and was being discounted to 1.3k because Sunn had gone bust.

It's my fault for not having oiled the chain more often.
Old 05-30-20, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I assume you have no LBS nearby or that is open? Here this transaction would take about 5 minutes where I work. Andy (who also lives in a Brighton)
Old 05-30-20, 09:04 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I believe any 9 speed SRAM-compatible chain would be just that... COMPATIBLE... but I can't be sure of the length. If you dropped 1300GBP on a bike, I would encourage you to invest just a few more on a chain breaker/pliers.

Better yet, visit your LBS (as Andrew R Stewart recommends)
Old 05-30-20, 09:04 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
No company makes personalized bike chains with your exact number of links because the next person might need 104 or 110. You can buy a SRAM chain PC-951 and a chain breaker and do it yourself. Or you can take your bike to someone and have it done. Those are your choices.

John
Old 05-30-20, 09:05 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Without a chain tool you are stuck, the new chain will come 116 links, if shifting has been perfect with the old one you can lay the two out side by side and trim to length but not without a chain tool. I also don't recommend wasting the chain tool on old crusty chains, typically I use bolt cutters to remove them or diagonal cutters and cut one plate at a time. You might have a quick link in the current chain to make it easier to remove though the link can be annoying and in some cases not come apart without the correct tool. Most multi-tools will have a chain tool, if you don't have a multi-tool you should get one for your bike to keep in the saddle bag, over the last 25 years I've needed one maybe 5 times and someone else a couple other times but if you get one with a chain tool you can justify the expense. Just order a kmc x9, any version of 9 will work, and multi-tool and cut the old chain off.
Old 05-30-20, 09:13 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've not seen a 9-speed chain in anything other than 114 or 116 links. So order a chain tool while you're at it, and get whatever SRAM/Shimano compatible chain your want. For a chain tool, nothing wrong with a Park CT-5. Cheap, works fine.
Old 05-30-20, 09:21 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If you can't get a new chain and chain breaker tool easily, then you might try flexing each stiff link side to side and see if that loosens them up.

A lot of Multi-tools for bicycles now come with a chain breaker tool on them.

Seeing as your chain is 9-speed; look at each link carefully and see if one of them isn't a quick-link. You'll see a longish slot on either side of the like if it is a quick-link. With luck, if you have one of those on your bike you'll be able to take the chain off. If you can get the chain off, give it a good scrubbing with a wire brush and then oil it and try flexing any stiff links to free them up. You should be able to reuse the quick-link. Here's an image of an 11-speed quick-link and what it looks like on the chain. A 9-speed on is very similar.

Cheers
Old 05-30-20, 09:21 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use the Park Mini Chain Brute https://www.parktool.com/product/min...hain-tool-ct-5 and carry it in my tool roll along with a couple of extra quick links and the cut-off links left from sizing my chain. Then I can open the chain to mend a bad link or add in a few if needed if more than a single link is damaged. I carry a tool made from coat hanger wire, similar to this: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...ink-in-a-chain, to open the quick link easily and to hold the ends of the chain while I insert one. The whole thing fits in my tool roll along with the few hex L-wrenches and other small tools I need; I abhor multi-tools, they do a great many jobs, poorly. The few single-purpose tools I need are smaller, weigh less and do a better job.
Old 05-30-20, 09:31 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Hello All,

Peter
Brighton, UK
This is easy. Buy a nine-speed chain. It should not matter whether it is SRAM, Shimano, Suntour, whatever. You will never find the right length. You need to order the next larger size compared to the number of links you currently have. Then you'll need a chain breaker tool, and a quick-link (or a chain pin press for seating a pin). I prefer quick links; I've never had one fail.

If you spend $30 on tools and $35 on a chain, you'll be set. If you don't want to buy the right tools, you'll never be able to do it yourself. So if buying the right tools is not on your agenda, take it to a bike shop. It takes them just a few minutes, because they have both the right tools and practice.

First time I replaced a chain it took me a half hour. Now it takes me about 15 minutes, half of which is spent measuring to be sure I get it right, and finding my tools.
Old 05-30-20, 09:32 AM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes that quick link posted by Miele Man is exactly what I have, and it came apart fine with just fingers.

I have tried loosening the stiff links with a lot of oil, and movement, but while they were OK for the next ride, they have done stiff again.

AFAIK all bike shops around here are either shut or there are long queues outside. I am too far out of Brighton to ride down there with the bike in this state. But I could do an amazon order now and get it delivered tomorrow. If anyone can suggest some amazon.co.uk part numbers, that would be brilliant I am happy to buy a chain tool also.
Old 05-30-20, 11:44 AM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes that quick link posted by Miele Man is exactly what I have, and it came apart fine with just fingers.

I have tried loosening the stiff links with a lot of oil, and movement, but while they were OK for the next ride, they have done stiff again.

AFAIK all bike shops around here are either shut or there are long queues outside. I am too far out of Brighton to ride down there with the bike in this state. But I could do an amazon order now and get it delivered tomorrow. If anyone can suggest some amazon.co.uk part numbers, that would be brilliant I am happy to buy a chain tool also.
Would really any 9 speed chain work?
Old 05-30-20, 11:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Would really any 9 speed chain work?
You got it.. '9 speed' is the width , wider then 10+, narrower than 8..
Old 05-30-20, 12:31 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been reading up on this. It sounds like I have an SRAM kit and the best chains recommended for that are KMC.

SRAM chains are not so available, too.

If I have this right, with the chain tool you just push out the rivets, and then use a link like above to join it.

My challenge now is to find a KMC 9 speed chain which can be shipped on Monday...
Old 05-30-20, 01:17 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I've been reading up on this. It sounds like I have an SRAM kit and the best chains recommended for that are KMC.
If I have this right, with the chain tool you just push out the rivets, and then use a link like above to join it.
My challenge now is to find a KMC 9 speed chain which can be shipped on Monday...
A KMC chain is as good as any and often fewer quid and will come with it's own quick link as do most other brands now. Yes. just remove a rivet. Make sure the inner links are the ones left on each end of the chain so you can use the re-usable link. KMC X9 Grey is their least expensive chain and will last as long as their more expensive (lighter, better plating) versions. Keep it lubed to prevent rust. https://www.kmcchain.eu/chain-mtb-multispeed-9_speed
Old 05-31-20, 02:55 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I eventually ordered this lot (all available for Monday delivery, which is amazing) and hopefully it will be ok

[ You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts, it says ]

Out of luck - sorry.

Could not reply sooner due to the 5 posts per 24hrs limitation on this site.