Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever just take the derailleurs off and call it a day?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-27-20, 12:47 PM
Skimax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I have an old Schwinn collegiate that I am thinking of converting to a single speed by stripping everything off (shifters and derailleurs) and just running the chain on one of the front chainrings and pick one of the rear cogs. This is obviously a very low budget approach as it uses the existing crank and chainrings as well as the cassette, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work...

any thoughts on this??
Old 06-27-20, 01:26 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
possibly the chain is more likely to jump, but what do i know, don't waste my time on conversions.
Old 06-27-20, 01:51 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax
I have an old Schwinn collegiate that I am thinking of converting to a single speed by stripping everything off (shifters and derailleurs) and just running the chain on one of the front chainrings and pick one of the rear cogs. This is obviously a very low budget approach as it uses the existing crank and chainrings as well as the cassette, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work...

any thoughts on this??
Don't remove the derailleurs. Use the front derailleur as a chain keeper to keep the chain from falling off. Use the rear derailleur as a chain tensioner. Once you've selected the desired chainring and freewheel cog, turn the high and low adjustment screws on the derailleurs all the way in until they stop to lock the derailleurs in position. You can then remove the shift levers, cable housings and cables to clean things up.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-27-20, 05:37 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax

any thoughts on this??
I have done this without issue.