Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3Rensho Road frame build up

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-05-20, 08:52 AM
vladuz976

Bikes: Nagasawa Special Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,
I have this 58cm 3Rensho road frame that I want to start using. I have no experience with road bikes. I come from a fixed gear setup and need some help here.
What year might this frame be?
I would like to build this bike using vintage or vintage looking new parts. I have no idea what I need. I am looking for nothing fancy, just a good working setup. 7 or 8 speed is all I need I think. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on good parts that last.
Thank you in advance!

-Eric

Last edited by vladuz976; 07-06-20 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For vladuz976:
Old 07-05-20, 08:57 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
vladuz976 , very nice frame!

If it were mine, I'd start looking for 1980's era Shimano Dura Ace components.

https://cycling-passion.com/dura-ace-history/
Old 07-05-20, 09:25 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
8 speed.
Old 07-05-20, 09:36 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
This is my build.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-aero-sra.html

Contact Andrew Muzi at Yellow Jersey with your serial number and he will tell you from when it is. This helps you to decide on parts.

Looking forward to see your build.
Old 07-05-20, 09:54 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
If ever a frame was calling for a Suntour Superbe Pro build....

The cheapest period-appropriate way to get it going would honestly be to find an appropriate used bike with a good condition Suntour Cyclone/Shimano 600 group and part it over. Those are good parts and also can frequently be found cheaper on complete bikes than sourcing individual vintage parts yourself.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-05-20, 10:12 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Dura Ace would certainly look good on this. Superbe Pro another good choice. I did both. Pics below. A more economical choice might be Shimano 600 Tri-Color or Suntour Cyclone.

P2212388 by L Travers, on Flickr

3Rensho DA 02 by L Travers, on Flickr

If you have the budget, then C-Record is a nice choice.

P5130846 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 07-05-20, 10:14 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
That’s a great blank canvas to start with. I first determine if I want downtube shifters or STI (integrated with brake levers). For me this is a matter of whether I’ll use the bike more for solo riding or if I plan to use on lively club rides (STI).

You have two great suggestions in the posts above. Dura Ace 7400 8spd STI would be an awesome setup. 7spd downtube would be good dressed in Dura Ace or Suntour Superbe.

Enjoy the hunt and report out on the finished product.
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-05-20, 10:43 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 31 Posts
i'll take a guess your frame is roughly mid 1980s. i have a similar era 3resnho frame in blue. came with full campy super record. switched it to suntour superbe group and just recently switched again to dura ace 7400

the dura ace 7400 happens to be my favorite functionally so far

i agree with sheddle's advice : prob your easiest way forward - keep an eye out for a reasonable high end japanese road 1980s bike and migrate the parts over

i've done the same any number of times and it ends up cheaper and better integrated in the long run vs buying individual parts

not sure what the used bike market is like in shinjuku but look for upper end models of bridgestone / miyata / univega / centurion / nishiki / panasonic / fuji etc

good luck ! those 3renshos are really fantastic both in craftsmanship and esp ride quality

Last edited by brooklyn_bike; 07-05-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 11:09 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Can you share a close-up of the seatcluster, seat stay caps? Plus the serial number?
Old 07-05-20, 11:26 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by vladuz976
I would like to build this bike using vintage or vintage looking new parts. I have no idea what I need. I am looking for nothing fancy, just a good working setup. 7 or 8 speed is all I need I think...
I'm assuming you are actually me, and are saying "I wanna do it on the cheap."

My first impulse would be to find a Craigslist or garage sale bike with all the right parts being given away for next to nothing. (A little more rare nowadays than a few years ago; still sometimes you get lucky).

Second impulse would be find the best set of wheels I can, and build up from there, depending on what cog cluster the rear can accommodate.

I'm another fan of the Shimano 600 TriColor group; you'll find many of us here. It's plentiful on the secondary market, is the most handsome group you can get with brifters (or downtube shifters) and is usually reasonably cheap. IME, it seems to work as well as anything out there.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 07-05-20, 05:21 PM
vladuz976

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Can you share a close-up of the seatcluster, seat stay caps? Plus the serial number?
I can't right now. The frame is still with my sister in Seattle. I'm having it shipped to Tokyo as the recent shipping restrictions have just been eased. I'll post more details when they become available.
Old 07-05-20, 06:46 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Dura Ace 7700.
Old 07-06-20, 09:48 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

the reason I ask about seeing a clear shot of the seatcluster is from what I can make out it the OP's photos the stay caps look to be unusual for a San Rensho: they look to be smooth and "semi-wrap" high and froward on the seat lug, whereas MOST of the early Cyclone Export road frames I'm aware of used the caps with the cast-in name ala several Italian makes (see this pic of my own), until later models came along with "fastback" style attachments like CV-6 examples. Although at a glance the forkcrown looks like it could be genuine with the "forward of centerline" blades, but that's hard to confirm in these pix, too.
Old 07-06-20, 09:55 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Restomod with silver campagnolo all the way. Probably have to go with 10 speed centaur or athena if you want silver, but that's how I'd build it out. But then that's how I'd build out any nice frame from the mid-80's or newer.
Old 07-06-20, 10:04 AM
sheddle

Someone was selling a 3rensho frame in Seattle? And they didn't contact me? What's their deal?
Old 07-06-20, 10:16 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
the reason I ask about seeing a clear shot of the seatcluster is from what I can make out it the OP's photos the stay caps look to be unusual for a San Rensho: they look to be smooth and "semi-wrap" high and froward on the seat lug, whereas MOST of the early Cyclone Export road frames I'm aware of used the caps with the cast-in name ala several Italian makes (see this pic of my own), until later models came along with "fastback" style attachments like CV-6 examples. Although at a glance the forkcrown looks like it could be genuine with the "forward of centerline" blades, but that's hard to confirm in these pix, too.
I believe this frame might be a 3rensho Athlete with a decal set for a SR Export. Some of the Athlete model frames has plain semi wrap seatstay caps.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 07-06-20, 02:39 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by styggno1
I believe this frame might be a 3rensho Athlete with a decal set for a SR Export. Some of the Athlete model frames has plain semi wrap seatstay caps.
I do believe that's the case, here.The example shown has the same seat stay caps as this Athlete (with unfortunate stay crimping) and another C&Ver had a pic of the correct graphics for an Athlete frame (but apparently nobody makes re-pops of these decals) The all-red paint seems consistent, too.

Old 07-06-20, 02:51 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Based on the over the BB cable routing, I'd presume this bike is from the early 80s. Certainly not later. It predates Shimano 7400.

Most likely it would have been 6 speed originally. Verify this by measuring the rear triangle. Should be ~126mm between dropouts. You'll be able to use 7sp if you want. To use anything else (ie 8-11sp) you'll most likely need to respace the frame to 130.

I vote for 'frankenstein' mix of Japanese parts, since it was typical of this period. Sugino MIghty Crankset, preferably a drillium model. Gran Compe Aero brakes. Superbe derailleurs. Maybe some early style shallow aero rims.

I'm not personally a big fan of Dura Ace prior to 7400. Some of the aero stuff was interesting.
Old 07-06-20, 03:07 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
On a rare special frame like this I would not try to cold set it to 130mm. Leave it at 126mm. If you want to run 8 speed just use the 9 speed cassette and leave out one cog.
Old 07-06-20, 03:15 PM
vladuz976

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Someone was selling a 3rensho frame in Seattle? And they didn't contact me? What's their deal?
I’ve actually been sitting on this for a few years now. I finished my fixed gear build and I want to start building this one now. If I remember correctly it came from the Chicago area. I just had it shipped to Seattle for storage. Long term projects...
Likes For vladuz976:
Old 07-06-20, 03:20 PM
vladuz976

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Guys, thanks so much for all the info so far. I’m having this shipped to me in Tokyo soon and will post better close ups. One more newbie question. What is Dura Ace SIS? Is that different from SIT?
Also, should I have this repainted? I’m speaking with GiraGira here in Tokyo. Nagasawa’s paint shop can repaint it. The decals are an issue as they won’t be original.
Old 07-06-20, 03:22 PM
sheddle

SIS = indexed. STI = dual control levers, aka integrated brake/shift controls
Old 07-06-20, 11:38 PM
willyw0nga

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribed
Old 07-07-20, 12:38 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Hello up there in Shinjuku! (I'm a few kilometres south of you.)

You haven't mentioned, and nobody has asked, about your purpose. You want "a good working setup" -- for what? As you'll probably know, there are some pretty ferocious climbs not far beyond Takao, Musashi Itsukaichi, or Ōme station. (Indeed, it's hard to plan rides that neither have steepish climbs nor are just flat and boring.) I know some people with strong thighs but none of them would go there on a bike that had 52/42 chainwheels, 14-25 sprockets. Imaginably, you're even stronger (or more masochistic, or keener to do yourself an injury), but I doubt it. So I suggest that you at least consider lower gearing. Anyway, once you've decided what gearing you want, then consider the brand, etc.

If you're planning to do your component shopping in Japan, forget about vintage Campagnolo goodies. The pricing is ridiculous. You're unlikely to encounter Gipiemme or Zeus. Sanko would be anachronistic and anyway it's rare and expensive. Stick to Suntour or Shimano. Luckily quite a number of models came with long cage (or "GT") versions: see Disraeli Gears.
Old 07-07-20, 12:47 AM
vladuz976

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by microcord
Hello up there in Shinjuku! (I'm a few kilometres south of you.)

You haven't mentioned, and nobody has asked, about your purpose. You want "a good working setup" -- for what? As you'll probably know, there are some pretty ferocious climbs not far beyond Takao, Musashi Itsukaichi, or Ōme station. (Indeed, it's hard to plan rides that neither have steepish climbs nor are just flat and boring.) I know some people with strong thighs but none of them would go there on a bike that had 52/42 chainwheels, 14-25 sprockets. Imaginably, you're even stronger (or more masochistic, or keener to do yourself an injury), but I doubt it. So I suggest that you at least consider lower gearing. Anyway, once you've decided what gearing you want, then consider the brand, etc.

If you're planning to do your component shopping in Japan, forget about vintage Campagnolo goodies. The pricing is ridiculous. You're unlikely to encounter Gipiemme or Zeus. Sanko would be anachronistic and anyway it's rare and expensive. Stick to Suntour or Shimano. Luckily quite a number of models came with long cage (or "GT") versions: see Disraeli Gears.
I‘m completely new to road bikes. I’ve taken my Nagasawa to Kawaguchiko and Okutama and rode it around the flat areas around the lakes. It’s beautiful for that and the city obviously but I’d like to join some friends on longer rides. Tokyo to Kawaguchiko for example. With my fixed gear that’s simply not an option.
the plan is to keep the Nagasawa for the city and build the 3rensho for weekend trips.
I’m 6’1” 200lb. I have 167.5cm Sugino cranks on my Nagasawa but that’s also a fairly high sitting frame for indoor tracks. I’m a little lost to be honest at the moment. I kind of want to get the bike ready just to ride it. At the same time I don’t wanna put crappy components on it that I’ll end up replacing anyhow.

Last edited by vladuz976; 07-07-20 at 12:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.