Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-30-20, 01:45 PM
  #15926  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I only cook with press fit BB.
I hate creaky food.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-30-20, 02:05 PM
  #15927  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,405

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7958 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Which BB standard is best?
The one that fits your frame.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 07-30-20, 02:07 PM
  #15928  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 734

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Which BB standard is best?
The next one to come out
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-30-20, 02:13 PM
  #15929  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,915

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
The one that fits your frame.
I kinda lucked out in that both the Habanero and Roubaix have threaded BBs. I replaced the Habanero one a couple years ago at roughly the 40K mile mark.

Fun fact: Shimano changed the diameter/spline pattern on their BB about 8 years ago, so you need a different tool or a plastic adapter if your toolkit is old (mine was).
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 02:26 PM
  #15930  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 857 Posts
I ordered a new, 24 mm, threaded, BB so I can move the 6800 crank from the Cervélo to the Lynskey and rid myself of the FSA monstrosity currently on there. USPS tracking says the goddamn thing has been in Azuza for the last six days. I'm hoping this is not true.

There should be a tool adapter in the box.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 02:48 PM
  #15931  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,915

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I ordered a new, 24 mm, threaded, BB so I can move the 6800 crank from the Cervélo to the Lynskey and rid myself of the FSA monstrosity currently on there. USPS tracking says the goddamn thing has been in Azuza for the last six days. I'm hoping this is not true.

There should be a tool adapter in the box.
I bought a 6800 threaded BB to replace the 6700 on the Habanero, off scambay. It did NOT come with an adapter which I had to buy separately for about $5.

Replacing a threaded BB is super easy and quite satisfying, but you need the right tool.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 02:54 PM
  #15932  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13586 Post(s)
Liked 2,858 Times in 1,535 Posts
LPLO.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-30-20, 03:05 PM
  #15933  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I bought a 6800 threaded BB to replace the 6700 on the Habanero, off scambay. It did NOT come with an adapter which I had to buy separately for about $5.

Replacing a threaded BB is super easy and quite satisfying, but you need the right tool.
I've done it many times with old, square taper, BBs, but this is my first modern changeover and I won't miss that lock ring, which was the enemy of all knuckles. I sure as hell hope the tool adapter is in the box (as seen on TV).
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:16 PM
  #15934  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
And now it's time to HTFU
Every day.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:36 PM
  #15935  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I couldn't agree more
^^^^
Gets it.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:36 PM
  #15936  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,796

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7830 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 735 Posts



There are times in life when we need to interrupt our everyday activities so as to take in and appreciate an extraordinary event or individual, and I'm convinced today is such a day. On this past July 17 we saw the passing of an extraordinary man, Representative John Lewis, and for most of this week there were special tributes paid to him because he was truly special. ALL of the networks covered his funeral services today and three of our former presidents attended and got up to pay tribute.

When I think about what he did to make this country a better place for all Americans, to put his life and his well being in danger time after time to fight for justice, to push this country towards living up to it's founding creeds, I can't help but be awed by his personal courage and his commitment. It doesn't matter whether he was a democrat or a republican, this doesn't have to be viewed through a political lens. This was simply an exceptional man that we all owe a debt of gratitude for making this country a better place.

RIP John Lewis
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon

Last edited by BillyD; 07-30-20 at 03:53 PM.
BillyD is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:41 PM
  #15937  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,253

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 151 Posts
Word BillyD
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 03:45 PM
  #15938  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,612

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5535 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 666 Posts
RIP indeed.

I was able to catch W's and Clinton's eulogies on TV this morning, but missed Obama's.

​​​​​​Hopefully it's up on YouTube for later viewing.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-30-20, 04:31 PM
  #15939  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 14,077

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6336 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 389 Posts
Word
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 04:44 PM
  #15940  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,389

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6026 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
what he did to make this country a better place for all Americans, to put his life and his well being in danger time after time to fight for justice, to push this country towards living up to it's founding creeds
If I may expand upon just this bit, one thing I really internalized from Hamilton was that our ideals are not a condition achieved at the founding, nor now, nor any time in between, but rather an ideal to always struggle for and improve towards. Just like, for the slightest bit of bike content, fitness. Or education. It is not achieved and then "done", but striven for constantly. There is much left to do, even aside from the racial inequities.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-30-20, 05:13 PM
  #15941  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 14,077

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6336 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 389 Posts
Yeah, for some reason they didn't teach us this in school. Or else I wasn't paying attention. There are so many things I've found out, going through life, that others seemed to just know, and I had no idea. Where did they pick it up? I have to figure it was taught in school. And I somehow missed it.
School was too easy for me, so it's likely my mind was elsewhere. ¿Quien sabe?

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-30-20 at 05:19 PM.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:16 PM
  #15942  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Yeah, for some reason they didn't teach us this in school.
This didn't happen when I was in school, either.


__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:35 PM
  #15943  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Remember Jadesfire ?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:39 PM
  #15944  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,915

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 937 Posts
Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows. Feel free to ignore.

We have a modest basic Black/Decker 1900PSI electric power washer. It's fine for washing the deck, concrete walkways, and the siding of our house. It's about 15 years old and has worked reasonably well....however, the "gun" part of the device recently developed a leak. I took it apart to see if there was an obvious worn O ring, but everything rubber looked ok and I was not able to isolate the leak with the unit off. When I turned the unit on, the fittings in the gun would just blow apart under the high pressure.

We went to Lowe's this evening to look into getting a replacement gun. Standards have changed. All the ones they have use different fittings at both the input and exit site of the gun. Instead of a quick-connect at the input, they use an M-22. And for the output "wand" my current unit uses a plastic variation of a quick-connect that is spring loaded into the gun, while the new standard seems to be quick-connect.

So in order to get the power washer working, I would need to buy a $10 quick-connect to M22 adapter, a new gun for $30, a new wand for $25, and a new wand spray fitting for $10. That's to make a 15 year old power washer work again. It reminds me of the stories that to buy a part-by-part economy car can cost more than a luxury car. Sad! It did not make sense to put so much money into the parts, so we did not buy them and more likely will just get a new power washer for $125 or so.

Should I cross-post on powerwashers forum?



p.s. only good news is, best I can tell, mask use at Lowe's was 100%
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:43 PM
  #15945  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,915

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I've done it many times with old, square taper, BBs, but this is my first modern changeover and I won't miss that lock ring, which was the enemy of all knuckles. I sure as hell hope the tool adapter is in the box (as seen on TV).
I can mail you mine if you wanna borrow it. Weighs about an ounce.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:50 PM
  #15946  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows.
Already addressed in post #15860
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 06:04 PM
  #15947  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,612

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5535 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Already addressed in post #15860
You need a singlespeed bikes or at least a 1x obviously

I've decided to get rid of all my simple bicycles. Already sold two singlespeeds.

I do have some coaster brake wheels and a frame that will accept them so I've gotta build that bike. Who knows maybe I'll love it and keep it but selling it is more likely.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-30-20, 06:07 PM
  #15948  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,389

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6026 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows. Feel free to ignore.

We have a modest basic Black/Decker 1900PSI electric power washer. It's fine for washing the deck, concrete walkways, and the siding of our house. It's about 15 years old and has worked reasonably well....however, the "gun" part of the device recently developed a leak. I took it apart to see if there was an obvious worn O ring, but everything rubber looked ok and I was not able to isolate the leak with the unit off. When I turned the unit on, the fittings in the gun would just blow apart under the high pressure.

We went to Lowe's this evening to look into getting a replacement gun. Standards have changed. All the ones they have use different fittings at both the input and exit site of the gun. Instead of a quick-connect at the input, they use an M-22. And for the output "wand" my current unit uses a plastic variation of a quick-connect that is spring loaded into the gun, while the new standard seems to be quick-connect.

So in order to get the power washer working, I would need to buy a $10 quick-connect to M22 adapter, a new gun for $30, a new wand for $25, and a new wand spray fitting for $10. That's to make a 15 year old power washer work again. It reminds me of the stories that to buy a part-by-part economy car can cost more than a luxury car. Sad! It did not make sense to put so much money into the parts, so we did not buy them and more likely will just get a new power washer for $125 or so.

Should I cross-post on powerwashers forum?



p.s. only good news is, best I can tell, mask use at Lowe's was 100%
In fairness, 15 years is a decent length of time, though I understand the frustration. If I were manufacturing I wouldn't want to be supporting things for that long either...
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 06:38 PM
  #15949  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,313

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14237 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I've decided to get rid of all my simple bicycles. Already sold two singlespeeds.
You're an enabler.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 06:40 PM
  #15950  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I can mail you mine if you wanna borrow it. Weighs about an ounce.
It was in the box, but I had to pound it into the Park BB tool with a mallet and it didn't quite fit the BB cups. The worst part was it turns out that, contrary to what I had read on the Internet, the Shimano BB tool didn't fit the FSA BB. ...So I took it off with a pipe wrench and a t-shirt.
MoAlpha is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.