Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 10:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I knew that ^^^^^^ was Freewheel the moment I read the word "charity". I used to shop there frequently, picked up a couple cheap project MTBs and some sweet deals on random-find parts. But I never detected the smell of whatever they're smoking when they set the prices on their eBay bikes. Their whole eBay list could be its own WackyWorld thread, at least price-wise. CL prices aren't much less. No idea who buys at those prices, but I've been in there while they're boxing up eBay-sold bikes, and they're making a go of it.
Old 08-01-20, 06:30 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...169395561.html

Just the thing so your kid can have an advantage playing trike chicken with other neighborhood kids.

Old 08-01-20, 07:49 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Funniest line on BF all d@mn week.

Looks like a late '80s Trek hybrid frame. Notice how the rear wheel is conveniently out of the picture frame....
Only out of the frame in that picture. There are others in the ad that show it. It is a standard dropout, not a track type. And again, this bike comes from that part of Brooklyn where everyone thinks they are the most creative person in the world. They even create their own crazy prices!
Old 08-01-20, 10:08 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by zacster
Only out of the frame in that picture. There are others in the ad that show it. It is a standard dropout, not a track type. And again, this bike comes from that part of Brooklyn where everyone thinks they are the most creative person in the world. They even create their own crazy prices!
It was a reference to the advertised two-finger weight of the bike.
Old 08-02-20, 08:23 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
This individual needs to discover C & V?

FULL TEXT OF AD:

Most people out there who are looking for vintage bikes are because of the price. They are cheap and infact I originally picked this up for around 300 or less. Get rolling for under 300 is not a bad deal right? You can even find bikes for under $200 and get rolling.

I am not interested in simply rolling. If you just want to roll find another bike to buy.

I want the highest possible ride experience. Meaning I dont want wobbling rims, sketchy breaking, or unreliable shifting. I want a bike that rides equally as perfectly as a brand new modern day HANDMADE road bike.

I ride for the name. I LOVE PEUGEOT but initially when you purchase a cheap one you begin to see that the components are not up to standard for today's riding.

The problem is we all want to be able to go fast and spend less for a higher quality riding experience.

I specialize in bringing hand made vintage bicycles into the modern world.

When you get a vintage bike from me you arent getting it the way it was when it was sold.
The bikes have been upgraded.

I would never ride a bike that couldn't keep up with the nyc traffic because that's how I like to ride mostly dead center in traffic. I need a bike I can trust but I also cant see myself not riding a Peugeot so.

I have had many. I treat them like my wives. In fact they are my wives. I have a harem of Peugeot.

So here's one of my babies that has to go to make room for other Peugeot frames that I will then update and resell at a slighly higher price with sexy upgrades to make them super confident for touring and long training rides.

originally got it cheap. Then had to replace the rear wheel and cog into a brand new modern day 27.5 Xrim brand wheel and new 7 speed shimano freewheel. The rear andnfront derailleur are brand new. Rear shimano Sora and front Suntour because thats what had fit the tube diameter measurement at the time. Its sexy don't worry.

I upgraded the cheap simplex shifter into a nice shimano one. I changed the cheap floppy safety break levers into hither end shimano safety brake levers that actually feel comfortable and stiff in your hand not flimsy. If y know about 30 year old bikes u know what I'm talking about. I dont want to let these hand levers go. I am thinking of taking them because I love how strong they are and I can't find them on Ebay or Amazon only the cheap one of witch I have many sets.

Im sure you know about vintage bikes and how they are a pain in the ass because of the parts quality being low versus the steel quality being vrey high compared to today's modern steel bikes.

This 30 years old frame beats a 1 year old Denali road bike that cost around 300-500 brand new. You can get slimmer tires for the 27.5 if you want but these are specialized all condition road tires not gum wall tires with insane rolling resistance. This bike rolls actually fast for how thick the tires are because the math is correct.

This bike is so true and tuned that it doesn't have a problem keeping up with other bikes or coming out of alignment every 30 days like other 30 year old bikes that haven't had their wires or components replaced.

This frame is 30 years old but most of these components arent besides the front wheel the headset the bottom bracket and the stem.

She is a bad ass ***** on the central park loop. Pulls her weight on that Harlem hill against the road bike people very well if you know how to ride then I str8 kill them on the downhills as you know steel picks up speed on the downhills like no other.

I love riding this bike. I just wont be keeping it because I'm 5'11 and have found another better size wife for me.

I have added photos of other monstrosities I have created in my vintage laboratory as proof. Most have already been sold but some are my personal rides.
Old 08-02-20, 09:34 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Whoa!

...I'm 5'11 and have found another better size wife for me.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-02-20, 10:07 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Headpost
He needs to discover some relaxation meditation techniques. And the comma key on his keyboard.
Old 08-02-20, 06:03 PM
madpogue 

No rack-mounting hardware included. Powered by a hub dynamo?

https://madison.craigslist.org/bop/d...170184748.html

Microwave - $30

Old 08-03-20, 03:59 AM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

The bars and seat ad a nice touch, otherwise a nice looking bike.
The fork looks a bit odd at that angle but its hard to tell by that pic.
Bet it handles nice with that stem and riding position too. That's a pretty tall frame.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/b...169309139.html

Panasonic dx 4000.
Shimano 600.
700x240
Handlebars,seat, and peddles converted to comfort bike.
Original handle bars and seat included $220 or best offer.
Pic attached.
Old 08-03-20, 04:17 AM
dirtman

Originally Posted by Headpost

FULL TEXT OF AD:

Most people out there who are looking for vintage bikes are because of the price. They are cheap and infact I originally picked this up for around 300 or less. Get rolling for under 300 is not a bad deal right? You can even find bikes for under $200 and get rolling.

I am not interested in simply rolling. If you just want to roll find another bike to buy.

I want the highest possible ride experience. Meaning I dont want wobbling rims, sketchy breaking, or unreliable shifting. I want a bike that rides equally as perfectly as a brand new modern day HANDMADE road bike.

I ride for the name. I LOVE PEUGEOT but initially when you purchase a cheap one you begin to see that the components are not up to standard for today's riding.

The problem is we all want to be able to go fast and spend less for a higher quality riding experience.

I specialize in bringing hand made vintage bicycles into the modern world.

When you get a vintage bike from me you arent getting it the way it was when it was sold.
The bikes have been upgraded.

I would never ride a bike that couldn't keep up with the nyc traffic because that's how I like to ride mostly dead center in traffic. I need a bike I can trust but I also cant see myself not riding a Peugeot so.

I have had many. I treat them like my wives. In fact they are my wives. I have a harem of Peugeot.

So here's one of my babies that has to go to make room for other Peugeot frames that I will then update and resell at a slighly higher price with sexy upgrades to make them super confident for touring and long training rides.

originally got it cheap. Then had to replace the rear wheel and cog into a brand new modern day 27.5 Xrim brand wheel and new 7 speed shimano freewheel. The rear andnfront derailleur are brand new. Rear shimano Sora and front Suntour because thats what had fit the tube diameter measurement at the time. Its sexy don't worry.

I upgraded the cheap simplex shifter into a nice shimano one. I changed the cheap floppy safety break levers into hither end shimano safety brake levers that actually feel comfortable and stiff in your hand not flimsy. If y know about 30 year old bikes u know what I'm talking about. I dont want to let these hand levers go. I am thinking of taking them because I love how strong they are and I can't find them on Ebay or Amazon only the cheap one of witch I have many sets.

Im sure you know about vintage bikes and how they are a pain in the ass because of the parts quality being low versus the steel quality being vrey high compared to today's modern steel bikes.

This 30 years old frame beats a 1 year old Denali road bike that cost around 300-500 brand new. You can get slimmer tires for the 27.5 if you want but these are specialized all condition road tires not gum wall tires with insane rolling resistance. This bike rolls actually fast for how thick the tires are because the math is correct.

This bike is so true and tuned that it doesn't have a problem keeping up with other bikes or coming out of alignment every 30 days like other 30 year old bikes that haven't had their wires or components replaced.

This frame is 30 years old but most of these components arent besides the front wheel the headset the bottom bracket and the stem.

She is a bad ass ***** on the central park loop. Pulls her weight on that Harlem hill against the road bike people very well if you know how to ride then I str8 kill them on the downhills as you know steel picks up speed on the downhills like no other.

I love riding this bike. I just wont be keeping it because I'm 5'11 and have found another better size wife for me.

I have added photos of other monstrosities I have created in my vintage laboratory as proof. Most have already been sold but some are my personal rides.
What's with the seats pointing at the ground like that on most of his bikes?

I see an ad like that and I have zero interest in meeting who ever wrote it.
Old 08-03-20, 04:44 AM
3Roch

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/...170172022.html

Pretty good price for a S Works Tarmac....

wonder if he has the receipt?
Old 08-03-20, 07:49 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by dirtman
It's to accomodate his enormous.... ego.
Old 08-03-20, 08:13 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts

I see an ad like that and I have zero interest in meeting who ever wrote it.
...full aero Fred. That's how he straight kills them on the downhills on the Central park loop.
Old 08-03-20, 10:06 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
That's how you get the fashionable saddle/stem drop with a frame that's almost too big for you.
Old 08-03-20, 03:10 PM
dirtman

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's how you get the fashionable saddle/stem drop with a frame that's almost too big for you.
I was more thinking just a clueless flipper, probably the worst kind out there. The way I see it a he's likely taking bikes that could otherwise be fixed up properly and turning them into odd, useless abortions with a mix of wrong parts assembled without any knowledge of what makes a safe, ridable, and reliable bike.
Old 08-03-20, 03:44 PM
cb400

Bikes: 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, 19(7?)?Le Croco, 2000 Mikado Magellan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I was more thinking just a clueless flipper, probably the worst kind out there. The way I see it a he's likely taking bikes that could otherwise be fixed up properly and turning them into odd, useless abortions with a mix of wrong parts assembled without any knowledge of what makes a safe, ridable, and reliable bike.
Yep and regular people looking to get into riding a bike buy one of these, have an awful time, maybe crash and hurt themselves and then give it up because it was such a bad experience. I feel the same way about people who buy a bike that is advertised as needing work and sell it for triple the price and just pass on the issues.
Old 08-03-20, 05:47 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts

Two Iron-man Triathlon Bikes (Carmel)

Cost $3500+ (red, Italian) - Asking $1100
Cost $6000+ (silver USA custom road racing) - Asking $2,100

Old 08-03-20, 11:30 PM
madpogue 

"Trek" that's been "de-badged to prevent theft" - as if a "de-badged Trek" marked "Carlton" is any less theft-prone.....

And magically the seat stay caps are no longer stamped either. And the lugs have been transmogrified.

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...171144510.html

1980s Trek 531 Steel Road Bike *Recent Rebuild* *Excellent Shape* - $500 (Madison)

Granted, this guy does sell some nice bikes in good shape, and knows something about them. But he still hasn't gotten the memo that photographically, a bicycle is a horizontal subject. We sure get to see a lot of his pole shed, however.
Old 08-04-20, 04:48 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts

Perhaps my favorite thread on BF....love this one:

A sweet vintage touring road bike from Gitane! Made in France with only the best steel.
New cables, wires, seat and handlebar wrap.
Tuned up and ready for the bike trail, road or downtown.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bi...168466582.html
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 08-04-20, 05:03 PM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
^That must be the special low trail touring fork. . .
Old 08-04-20, 08:38 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
^That must be the special low trail touring fork. . .
Hey, the front tire doesn't rub against the downtube so it's still rideable, right?
Old 08-05-20, 06:52 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
That bike wasn't even worth putting new cables on it.
Old 08-06-20, 11:45 AM
Headpost

Originally Posted by cb400
Yep and regular people looking to get into riding a bike buy one of these, have an awful time, maybe crash and hurt themselves and then give it up because it was such a bad experience. I feel the same way about people who buy a bike that is advertised as needing work and sell it for triple the price and just pass on the issues.
Agreed, so hate all the #$^#ing %^&*%^&*s out there who pretend--or genuinely think--they know everything, just want to make a sale, and end up ruining people's experiences with bicycles. In my experience, most of them work in bicycle stores.

Last edited by Headpost; 08-06-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 12:23 PM
Headpost

Originally Posted by madpogue
No rack-mounting hardware included. Powered by a hub dynamo?

https://madison.craigslist.org/bop/d...170184748.html

Microwave - $30

I've met a lot of old-school purists who don't like these, but no one denies that they're faster . . .

Last edited by Headpost; 08-06-20 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 04:15 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by retrofit

Two Iron-man Triathlon Bikes (Carmel)

Cost $3500+ (red, Italian) - Asking $1100
Cost $6000+ (silver USA custom road racing) - Asking $2,100

I know it happens, but it never fails to amaze me that someone can race bicycles (at a high level) and not know their frame size....wheel size....how to install a wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.