Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post ride Fatigue

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Post ride Fatigue

Old 07-16-20, 06:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,486 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I went for 50 miles today with a few thousand feet of climbing. I had a banana and 1 granola bar on the ride (wanted more) and a gallon of water. I ate when I got home and had a lovely nap. I do not feel the need to see a doctor about this and wish every day could be this good.
You know....That's the first thing I thought when I read the OP. Ride, eat and then nap.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-16-20, 07:04 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've experienced the same thing you describe and so have others I know including a Master's racer friend. It's more pronounced if I haven't been getting enough sleep.
If I fight the urge to nap I am fine and can stay awake the rest of the day but many times I just take a nap of 30-40 minutes. If I do a hard ride with lots of climbing I am more inclined to want that nap. I'll probably have one later today after my ride.
Exactly as with me!

Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 07-17-20, 04:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
It’s interesting how some folks are so down on Gatorade. It works really well for me. I need the energy and electrolytes that sports drinks provide doing rides of 6 hours or more. I’ve tried other methods but those just don’t work as well for me.

It sounds like the OP is consuming artificial sweeteners from G2 and Crystal light which might be worse on your health over the long term than other sugars, but that’s just my opinion.

Good for the OP for riding so frequently. It’s hard for me to relate as those are short distances for me, but we’re all different.

I do know that after I retired and pushed past 65 I really enjoy a nap here and there. But mine are only 30 mins top. I probably sleep 7 hours a night so maybe that’s a factor?
Old 07-17-20, 04:47 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I think people were just saying the G2 or No sugar Gatorade provide no carbs, only electrolytes and water.
Old 07-17-20, 08:59 PM
Rstyle

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I think people were just saying the G2 or No sugar Gatorade provide no carbs, only electrolytes and water.
I appreciate everyone’s comments
1) I drink the G2 for the electrolytes and because I like the taste ( grape). I tried a few recommendations of water with various
Powders but did not find the taste pleasant
2) like many...I love naps. Maybe 45 minutes...not every day as a routine. What I was describing was 2-3 hr conked out nap after the
ride
3) after readings some of the comments, it seems many my age and older are riding much longer distances! I have to get better
4) I did not mention that I am in Florida and many of the rides are in humid hot weather (100-106 heat index) but I did not think
Dehydration was an issue because many times I had to pee as soon as I finished the ride ( in part due to my enlarged prostate)
so I figured my hydration was ok.
5) I will follow some of the ideas with more carbs and protein during and after the ride, Bought some protein smoothies for after the
ride. Will also drink more fluids after I am done riding
Thanks for all the comments and I will tell my wife that the members of the forum feel that a new bike would make a big difference
And solve the problem😀😀
Old 07-17-20, 11:38 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Personally, I like G2 and zero as well, On really hot days, I bring a bottle of ice water + a bottle of G2, and some energy gels.
I am sure you will find the balance you need.
Good luck and good riding!
Old 07-18-20, 07:19 PM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Try CoQ10
when I started statins bike performance went way down.
started coq10 and was better
might help, dont know
not a doctor
but i have stayed at holiday inn
Likes For ManyBikess:
Old 07-19-20, 12:24 PM
glenncz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think aging may have something to do with it. ya think??
The comments on this board are RIDICULOUS to think that some doctor is going to know why a 67 yr cycler "needs a nap" after riding 30+ miles. This is something "only a doctor" would know!?? And apparently the OP is a doctor.
I'm only 61 and I am laying here totally trashed after 37 miles yesterday and 30 today. I can't move from the couch and I'm TOO TIRED to properly nap.
As these years go by we may have to slow down a bit. It gets tougher that's why in races or group rides the +60 crowd is pretty thin. We get weeded out over the years, illness or just plain tired. It gets harder and it's harder to keep it going.
I'm going to keep going as long as I can, but I can feel it. I was hoping to do 55mi today but i woke up trashed and I made the right decision to cut it down to 30.
Likes For glenncz:
Old 07-19-20, 12:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I am 57 y/o and ride on average three times per week with my rides ranging from 40-85 miles and 100 feet of ascent per mile. After trial and error I adopted the following routines after my rides. I drink a whey protein shake and about a quart of cold water post ride. I take a cold shower. I eat a mixed green kale salad after each ride. I have a cup of black coffee after my meal. With this, I rev my metabolism and I do not want to nap. I keep a strict sleep schedule from 2100 to 0400. For me, this works. YMMV
Old 07-22-20, 08:48 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by glenncz
I'm only 61 and I am laying here totally trashed after 37 miles yesterday and 30 today. I can't move from the couch and I'm TOO TIRED to properly nap.
As these years go by we may have to slow down a bit. It gets tougher that's why in races or group rides the +60 crowd is pretty thin. We get weeded out over the years, illness or just plain tired. It gets harder and it's harder to keep it going.
My 62 year old friend does 50-100 a few times per week and never has any issues.

If you are trashed after 37 miles one day and 30 miles the next day...you may have some other underlying issues.
Old 07-25-20, 04:14 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Here’s a thought from a newbie himself (52) total uninformed, non medical professional perspective and if you have any concerns, you should absolutely see your doc.

But....

Maybe you’re just tired and need some sleep to recover. You do 30 miles after only riding for 8 weeks and you’re 67 years old. To me, it sounds like a huge workload for someone your age who has really just got started. Are you pushing yourself on these rides?

You ride in the morning, have a meal, and need a rest.

The fact that you are even riding such mileage without struggling during the ride would seem to indicate you are fine. And you are doing 20 miles with no issue after those rides.

If you took an average 67 year old (non cyclist)they couldn’t even do 5 miles and if they did more than 10, they would sleep for 3 days.

Ok, that’s my rant.

But seriously, if you have concerns, be safe and talk to your doc ; )
Agree with you, Bruv. I just got on a bike after being off for 10 years. There are times I can do 10 at a mid-teens pace, and others when I’m gassed at 5. A lot is conditioning, a lot is the fact that our bodies are all different, and some may be due to environmental conditions. Just because somebody’s friend can, doesn’t mean that others should be able to.

And, nothing wrong with a good nap after exercising!
Old 07-25-20, 04:46 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Post ride Fatigue

At 78 I train 6 days a week with intervals on a smart trainer for 4 days and hammer sessions of 60 and 31 mi. Sat. and Sunday with a bunch of 50 year olds. I take a nap every day I ride from 20 min to about an hour depending on how hard the ride was. I use Heed on all rides and add protein if over 60 mi.; My post ride drink has been chocolate milk for the last 5 years.
Old 08-02-20, 07:20 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I ride in a fashion similar to the OP. I'm generally somewhat tired after my rides and could easily take a nap but don't always do so. The need for a 2-3 hour nap would be unusual and depend on my sleep schedule on the day before my ride. I do suspect that if I was riding in the heat and humidity of Florida, I might too suffer in a similar fashion! I would also add (IMHO) that statins can and do (in many individuals) lead to muscular "issues". I've personally experienced a significant weakness that developed shortly after being put on Zocor many years ago! I discussed the issue with my physician, stopped the medication and the weakness resolved. While I'm not suggesting that anyone should stop taking prescribed medications without first discussing it with their primary care provider, I am suggesting that the OP (as a physician) take a serious look at ALL of the side effects of the statin class of cholesterol management medications. Just sayin' 😎.
Old 08-02-20, 09:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Nothing a shower and a good nap wont fix.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-03-20, 05:38 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Rstyle
I appreciate everyone’s comments

4) I did not mention that I am in Florida and many of the rides are in humid hot weather (100-106 heat index) but I did not think
Dehydration was an issue because many times I had to pee as soon as I finished the ride ( in part due to my enlarged prostate)
so I figured my hydration was ok.😀
What color is your urine? If it is a light, straw color, you are not dehydrated; if it is a dark color, you are!
Old 08-05-20, 10:10 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Might as well enjoy the ride...

If I ride 15 miles I don't have much post ride fatigue. If I ride 25 miles in high humidity and temp., I may feel drained as you describe, usually after shower and meal. I'm only 64, and just consider it a normal effect of aging. If I ride every day, I try not to go over 20 miles. 16 or so is better for every day of the week riding.

I say just live within your limits and stay active. There's more to life than cycling; don't burn yourself out just to meet some notion of how far you think you should go.
Old 08-05-20, 10:19 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
At 78 I train 6 days a week with intervals on a smart trainer for 4 days and hammer sessions of 60 and 31 mi. Sat. and Sunday with a bunch of 50 year olds. I take a nap every day I ride from 20 min to about an hour depending on how hard the ride was. I use Heed on all rides and add protein if over 60 mi.; My post ride drink has been chocolate milk for the last 5 years.
Ok, seriously, that's badass. I got work to do. Cap off.
Old 08-05-20, 02:33 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
1)This AIN'T nutrtional, lytes or hydration, though that can make it worse.
2) We recover slower at age and heat is as much an exertional stress as exercise
3) Get. a stress echo and note your max METS and HR recovery time, maybe peripheral arterial leg ankle brachial pressure index. Cheap basic eval.
4) maybe try logging your rides for speed distance cadence and temp to note your ceiling and go gradual

I am in Texas and the heat here bonks my 70 yo butt
but I try to stay within my limits and do a bit better every day
which sometimes means that I just showed up.
A man's gotta know his limits.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 08-07-20, 10:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Naps are a cure.
Old 08-09-20, 08:27 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Rstyle
I have read about this but wondering if people in the more advanced age group have experience with this.
i am 67 and have been riding every other day for the last 8 weeks. I usually do 15-20 miles on weekdays and 30-35 on weekends. After the long rides I feel well and may clean bike, take shower, eat lunch.....but 1-1.5 hrs after the ride I get very significant fatigue. I must lay down and sleep for 2-3 hours. Don’t want to move.....all I want to do is lay down.. Once I am up I feel fine. It does not happen on shorter rides.

Is use one Gu at beginning of ride and one at mid ride. Will drink 2 full bottles of G-Zero ( maybe I should use regular Gatorade).
Should I try snack bar mid ride? What would be good to eat after the ride? Anyone experience the same thing?
The time length of naps will vary according to circumstances. The body will adjust, given time. By "time" I mean the ride regime within the context of the rider's other activity. Its never isolated to "just the ride".

The body will adjust to the load. As you ride longer or faster, the body will somehow recognize the demands. The body may even "complain" by asking for more nap time (repairs and maintenance). Eventually, the body will make the adjustments. The rider needs to help the body along during the rides and after too.

How to help the body along? First, the pace, if you rush it and try to be a racer type, the body may show muscle soreness or even occassional cramps now or afterwards during the nap. Ouch!. Does this mean interval training isn't that good? It may mean interval training does some things but not all things. Just don't get fooled that you somehow "should" do interval training to solve the body problem.

Nutrition is during the ride and afterwards. The heart muscle works (beeps), thus electrolytes. The blood needs to carry oxygen and nutrients to the tissues. And the muscles need to respond accordingly. Orchestrate all that and the body will thank you for it.

Go ask your colonoscopy physician about electrolytes prior to the procedure. Mine did and suggests using Ultima Replenisher. No sugar, just electrolytes.

https://www.ultimareplenisher.com/?g...SAAEgIl1_D_BwE

If your body wants a longer nap time, then let it happen.
Old 08-11-20, 08:50 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
What you describe sounds like a perfect day to me.

Go for a ride. Then take a shower, drink a beer and have a nap. Wake up in time to light the grill and open another cold one. Being retired, I can sleep in or rest the next day. Like today. Tomorrow, back to it.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-11-20, 09:24 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I always love how people come on bike forums to seek medical advice about their health. It never ceases to amaze me.
I always amazes me that some people never ask questions but also encourage others not to ask any questions either. The rule is, if you never ask questions you never learn anything.

I think a nap after a ride is a fine idea.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-12-20, 04:26 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
What you describe sounds like a perfect day to me.

Go for a ride. Then take a shower, drink a beer and have a nap. Wake up in time to light the grill and open another cold one. Being retired, I can sleep in or rest the next day. Like today. Tomorrow, back to it.
Update: did that exactly today. Waiting for the grill and going to put on some swordfish and salmon. That is way more interesting that milage/pace or feet climbed.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-13-20, 09:40 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I always amazes me that some people never ask questions but also encourage others not to ask any questions either. The rule is, if you never ask questions you never learn anything.
Nothing wrong with asking questions. But then be prepared for armchair quarterbacks to answer for the type of question the OP asked. The OP has a physical condition he is concerned about.

Medical diagnosis (in this case fatigue) is complex enough in person...expecting it to work via Internet forums is unreasonable and it delays getting competent help. There is no way to validate the source or quality of the advice you are receiving. All a person is getting is vague and nonspecific advice that anyone can write on the internet.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-13-20, 12:34 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Embrace the nap, I was a nap naysayer for years. I was wrong, my naps only last 15-30, ala Einstein style. Sitting in a chair, slowly I return to the world and feel great.

Statins, they do affect muscles. I was on them for a short time, couldn't handle them so I gave up red meat, cheese, a lot of sugar and the statins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.