Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has an BF member experimented with EPO?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has an BF member experimented with EPO?

Old 06-30-06, 03:21 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Cannondale EVO Red, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 2013 SST FUJI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EPO = Early Pregnancy Opertunity

Nope there too. Always use your protection!
Old 06-30-06, 03:24 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've experimented with the combination of Fig Newtons and Bloks on the same ride, a combination that put me right up to 400 watts on a climb.
Old 06-30-06, 03:25 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velocity
EPO = Early Pregnancy Opertunity

Nope there too. Always use your protection!
and your dictionary
Old 06-30-06, 03:25 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
Got alot of doctors here...easy access.

Seriously, has anybody here tried it? It must really be something else if so many pro riders stake their careers on it.

Nothing you say here will be used against you!
I was on Erythropoietin (EPO) for about a year several years ago when a life-saving drug I was taking at the time caused severe anemia. The EPO restored my red blood cell count to normal. For me, use of EPO was literally a lifesaver. As far as I can tell, there were no harmful side effects in my case.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-30-06, 03:47 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
THis is a repost, but I thought it might be interesting. its an article from outside magazine about a guy who did a bunch of the drugs used for doping.

https://outside.away.com/outside/body...ug_test_1.html
Old 06-30-06, 03:52 PM
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-30-06, 04:01 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I don't use EPO, but I do use Depotestosterone, but under a Doctors care along with HGH injection. It's treatment for a pituitary disease. As to EPO use, the only way I'd introduce it to MY precious bod is if it was to treat chemotherapy related anemia. What EPO does, by the way is to stimulate Red Blood Cell production. Your body makes plenty of it naturally. Artificial use when not needed tends to actually reduce the O2 carraige/transfer capability of the blood due to it developing the consistency of Strawberry Jam if overused. In miniscule amounts, with extreme care it will increase the O2 carriage capability. Little is known about the long term health risks though.
I work for the company that put the PEG in Pegfilgrastim
https://www.neulasta.com/patient/index.jsp

It's not epo but it is used for the same purpose.

The dope on epo:

rythropoietin (pronounced, ah-rith-ro-poy-tin, and abbreviated, EPO) is a relatively recent entry into the deceitful pursuit of glory. EPO is a protein hormone produced by the kidney. After being released into the blood stream it binds with receptors in the bone marrow, where it stimulates the production of red blood cells (erythrocytes). Medically, EPO is used to treat certain forms of anemia (e.g., due to chronic kidney failure). Logically, since EPO accelerates erythrocyte production it also increases oxygen carrying capacity. This fact did not long escape notice of the athletic community.
Blood doping is the process of artificially increasing the amount of red blood cells in the body in an attempt to improve athletic performance. In the past this was accomplished by transfusion. The athlete would “donate” a unit of blood into storage and then 3 weeks later, after the body had completely replaced the blood loss, transfuse the unit back into the body. This would occur just before a big race, effectively giving the athlete an “extra” unit of blood. This enables performance improvements in endurance sports because of the extra oxygen carrying capacity. The practice has been outlawed. Not just because it is unfair but because of the dangers involved.

EPO has put a whole new spin on blood doping. No need for messy transfusions, just shoot up with EPO to increase your circulating erythrocyte mass. Until recently accurate testing has been difficult because the recombinant human EPO made in the lab is virtually identical to the naturally occurring form and there are no firmly established normal ranges for EPO in the body. The only previously available route to curtail cheating for sports governing bodies was to ban an athlete if the hematocrit (see side bar) level was too high (e.g., above 50%). Thus, over the past 10 – 15 years some athletes chose to cheat because, as long as they kept their hematocrit levels below 50%, there seemed little risk of getting caught. Of course the other way to get caught was highlighted in the disastrous 1998 Tour de France. Several team doctors and personnel from several teams were caught red-handed with thousands of doses of EPO and other banned substances. Ultimately about 50% of the teams withdrew from the race – either for cheating or in protest.

Fortunately, testing technology has now caught up and promises to stem the tide of abuse. There is now an accurate urine test that can detect the differences between normal and synthetic EPO. This test is now the standard and was the sole means to detect for EPO use in the 2004 Athens Olympic Games. The reliability of this test helps explain the cascade of athletes who have been caught and, subsequently, banned from competition. This surge in positive tests will likely decline as the “word” gets out and EPO use declines -- at least until someone figures out a work-around. Of course, there is always the next great pharmacologic or genetic cheat just lurking around the corner to consider.

Why is EPO dangerous?
The reason that EPO, and transfusion blood doping, is dangerous is because of increased blood viscosity. Basically, whole blood consists of red blood cells and plasma (water, proteins, etc.). The percentage of whole blood that is occupied by the red blood cells is referred to as, the hematocrit. A low hematocrit means dilute (thin) blood, and a high hematocrit mean concentrated (thick) blood. Above a certain hematocrit level whole blood can sludge and clog capillaries. If this happens in the brain it results in a stroke. In the heart, a heart attack. Unfortunately, this has happened to several elite athletes who have used EPO.

EPO use is especially dangerous to athletes who exercise over prolonged periods. A well-conditioned endurance athlete is more dehydration resistant than a sedentary individual. The body accomplishes this by several methods, but one key component is to “hold on” to more water at rest. Circulating whole blood is one location in which this occurs and, thus, can function as a water reservoir. During demanding exercise, as fluid losses mount, water is shifted out of the blood stream (hematocrit rises). If one is already starting with an artificially elevated hematocrit then you can begin to see the problem -- it is a short trip to the critical “sludge zone”.

Additional dangers of EPO include sudden death during sleep, which has killed approximately 18 pro cyclists in the past fifteen years, and the development of antibodies directed against EPO. In this later circumstance the individual develops anemia as a result of the body’s reaction against repeated EPO injections.

https://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/epo.html
Old 06-30-06, 04:09 PM
redden
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have some vials in the frig. Used to administer it to my mother in law. She had an autoimune disease. Never tried it. Think a healthy person can get the same effect by exercising at high altitude. Hate to see such a great substance get such a bad rep.
If I'm not mistaking people used to transfuse packed red cells for the same affect. Wonder if it would be a problem and backfire if you had a high crit and then dehydrated during competition, seems like the thick blood would inhibit oxygenation to the extremities in that case.

Guess epo would be to an aerobic athlete what roids are to a bodybuilder.
Old 06-30-06, 04:15 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, why not just take Winstrol? It's meant for HORSES and makes you stronger without making bigger...just ride your @ss off and get better on your own. Your health and well being isn't worth the risk of being a better cyclist. There's more to life, though not alot, than being quick up a mountain. Just remember, take EPO, HGO, or steriods now and you'll run the risk of not riding much longer...injuries, sickness, jail or death...or go legit and you'll ride until you're an old man/lady.
Old 06-30-06, 04:15 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Cannondale EVO Red, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 2013 SST FUJI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
and your dictionary
Now now leave um Nancy out of this dictionary carp!
V
Old 06-30-06, 04:42 PM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
endless peddling obsession
Old 06-30-06, 05:08 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velocity
Now now leave um Nancy out of this dictionary carp!
V
haha..
sorry, couldn't help myself
Old 06-30-06, 05:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 574 Posts
I have experimented with POE. I started out with a little Gold Bug at a party. Maybe some Pit and Pendulum on the weekends. Or a taste of House of Usher, after work just to unwind. Pretty soon I was on a 3-day Raven jag.
Old 06-30-06, 05:25 PM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nevermore.
Old 06-30-06, 05:28 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion SL, Cervelo P2SL

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 113 Posts
Quoth the Never, Ravenmore?
Old 06-30-06, 06:13 PM
zabba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EPO on the rocks - shaken not stirred!

Must say that nothing beats a cold beer!
Old 06-30-06, 06:30 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cromulent
I once made a baking soda, vinegar and EPO volcano for a science project. It worked 15% better than a normal baking soda and vinegar volcano.
Old 06-30-06, 06:36 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I can't say that I've ever tried to juice up for my Cat 5 races...

EPO can be pretty dangerous stuff, mainly because of the risk of increased viscosity as mentioned above. In patients with cancer/bone marrow suppression, you're also banking on a blunted response to EPO when you give it. In a healthy person with a normal hematocrit and healthy bone marrow, a couple doses could become dangerous in a hurry.

DrPete
Old 06-30-06, 07:46 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion SL, Cervelo P2SL

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 113 Posts
What's the advantage of EPO vs. an Oxygen Tent? Wouldn't both get you to the mandated 50 pretty quickly?
Old 06-30-06, 07:59 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
EPO is relatively quick and easy... Altitude, natural or artificial, probably takes longer to raise the hematocrit.

DrPete
Old 06-30-06, 08:16 PM
shawneebiker

Bikes: Whatever I want

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EPO was great! I used it when I weighed 280 lbs racing. I loved dropping the weight weenies on long steep climbs......
Old 06-30-06, 08:23 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
In my line of work, EPO stands for Emergency Power Off. It's also known as The Big Red Button. Pushing it when the facility is on fire from an electrical conflagaration is a good thing. Pushing it because you were horsing around or had to go to the bathroom really badly and mistook it for the cage-door release is not.
Old 06-30-06, 08:47 PM
Nubie

Bikes: '17 Specialized Ruby Comp, '18 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp WSD

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
... but under a Doctors care along with HGH injection. It's treatment for a pituitary disease.
Hey, me too! Now I'm pan-hypopit. Stupid brain tumors...
Old 07-01-06, 02:40 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EPO is quick to administer, less than 30 seconds, and cheap, less than $200 a month for maintenence dosages. youre not going to die in your sleep if you dont go over 52% or get severely dehydrated.

stick 25iu per Kg of body weight 3 times a week, till you hit your target, then 1 a week to maintain, pay 40.00 every now and then to the local quest diagnostics lab (employer piss test place) for a CBC, complete blood count to monitor. etc...

Altitude tent is 6-10K, pain in the ass, have to cart it around if you travel a lot etc...

Please, if youre going to post about doping, reference where you copied and pasted your knowledge from, or just admit you have no idea what youre really talking about.

The big names dont really race on EPO any more it seems, its used to enrichen the blood they will use later.

EPO is used to raise HCT prior to having the blood withdrawn, this give you more red cells in the blood youve given, but also gives you a little boost to ward off the sudden drop in performance if you happen to be competing when youre donating.

Looking at Tylers doping chart from the raid, he was banging away a lot of EPO every other day for like a week, 2000iu or more, that is not micro dosing, Im curious as to his where abouts during that week, because any test should pick that up easily.

you can see a few days prior to the TdF, he took a ton of stuff as well as masking agents, but during the TdF, no drugs what so ever, just a re infusion of blood the day before the first mountain stage, and the day before the TT. Smart actually, no chance of positive test, just wierd off scores, and a high manipulation index if they do a blood count. (increased red cell count, but no freshly made ones).

he was warned repeatedly for this actually, so it all starts to make sense now. When he tested positive for someone elses blood i said "someone messed up and dropped the ball" now we know who it was, fuentes and co.

Last edited by Smoothie104; 07-01-06 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 05:20 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by celticfrost
Warmaster: "Conan, what is best in life?"
Conan (w/ heavy deadpan Austrian accent): "To crush yoah enemies, see dem driven befoah you, and to hear de lamenting of de vimmin!".
heavy, deadpan Austrian accent: "to be, or not to be........not to be!!!"

Last edited by 531Aussie; 07-01-06 at 06:41 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.