Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 with modern road bikes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50 with modern road bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 01:20 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
bocce bike by Todd Crandall, on Flickr

20160609_182926 by Todd Crandall, on Flickr

One Carbon, one aluminum. The Bianchi is new and I haven't ridden it much. The doc is making me keep cool for another week or so then I'll be able to start putting some miles in it. That Secteur has been a work horse for about 5 years. It will still see plenty of riding even with the new bike in the garage.

I have a vintage Raleigh, but I almost never ride it. I have plans to do some work to it and start breaking it out more often. But then I have plans to do a bunch of things.
Old 08-09-16, 03:34 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by ButchA
Hmmmm... Take a look at my C&V 1985 Fuji. Look closely at the seat height, handlebars and stem, and see how close they are in relation to one another. The bottom of the seat is just about the same height as the top of the bars. Then again, we're going back 31 years in technology. The old Fuji weighs in around 24 pounds, quad butted steel tubing, Suntour components, etc... To me, it is a very comfortable ride, even if it is built like a tank. It would take a few rides to get the hang of STI shifters, and adjust to a very lightweight bike at like 16 or 17 pounds if that.
That's an awesome bike. You can always soup (lighten) it up if you want.
Old 08-09-16, 04:59 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks... I think old C&V bikes should stay as they are (within reason). That's why I would be tempted to outright buy a brand new modern 2016 model Fuji or (whatever flavor) of road bike, and still never ever part with my old classic '85 Fuji.
Old 08-09-16, 05:12 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Thanks @Phil_gretz !! I appreciate it... I guess since we are all over 50 in this thread, we should strive to stay healthy and in shape as best we can!

I'm still 212, but got down to 205 before summer. And then a flare up of sciatica that sidelined me for a while. I will get down to an even 200# somehow, someway...

Now, if I could only find strawberry ice cream that doesn't contain any calories, I'd be all set!
You realize that gaining weight while being sidelined is does not have to be inevitable. I am recovering from surgery to correct a mal-union of a pelvic fracture with a revision of a hip replacement. I couldn't do much of anything for 8 weeks. One of the only things I could control was what I put in my mouth. When I finally got back on the scale I managed to hold the line at 160. Same weight I before the surgery. Just sayin.
Old 08-09-16, 05:25 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenmag

One Carbon, one aluminum. The Bianchi is new and I haven't ridden it much. The doc is making me keep cool for another week or so then I'll be able to start putting some miles in it. That Secteur has been a work horse for about 5 years. It will still see plenty of riding even with the new bike in the garage.

I have a vintage Raleigh, but I almost never ride it. I have plans to do some work to it and start breaking it out more often. But then I have plans to do a bunch of things.
That Bianchi is a really nice looking bike. Get well and riding soon!
Old 08-09-16, 07:06 PM
ButchA

Originally Posted by TCR Rider
You realize that gaining weight while being sidelined is does not have to be inevitable. I am recovering from surgery to correct a mal-union of a pelvic fracture with a revision of a hip replacement. I couldn't do much of anything for 8 weeks. One of the only things I could control was what I put in my mouth. When I finally got back on the scale I managed to hold the line at 160. Same weight I before the surgery. Just sayin.
Seriously?!? I mean, I'm not being all funny or anything... How did you do it? I'm one of those weird type of people where all I have to do is LOOK at a Big Mac and Large Fries, and I'll gain 10 pounds!!!
Old 08-09-16, 07:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hmmmm... Take a look at my C&V 1985 Fuji. Look closely at the seat height, handlebars and stem, and see how close they are in relation to one another. The bottom of the seat is just about the same height as the top of the bars. Then again, we're going back 31 years in technology. The old Fuji weighs in around 24 pounds, quad butted steel tubing, Suntour components, etc... To me, it is a very comfortable ride, even if it is built like a tank. It would take a few rides to get the hang of STI shifters, and adjust to a very lightweight bike at like 16 or 17 pounds if that.

The idea is that the seat height is based on leg length-

not too high, not too low. So lowering the seat to get a more upright posture

would cause inefficient pedaling. Nothing wrong with having the bars even with, or above, the saddle.

A number of strident voices around here maintain that the weight makes no difference whatever, so it shouldn't

be hard to adjust to.
Old 08-09-16, 10:30 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
180# is what I weighted during my years in the Coast Guard. After I retired and settled into a second career, I looked in the mirror and noticed my hair getting gray and my waistline expanding. What happened?!?
You keep having those damn birthdays! And it's not the cake I'm talking about.
Old 08-09-16, 10:52 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude, what are you smokin'?

Endurance and gravel bikes have slacker geometry and longer wheelbases than "old school" racing bikes of the past.

Even racing road bikes today have taller head tubes and longer top tubes that old school racing bikes.

Your fears are all a figment of your imagination.

Find a modern road bike that actually fits you and you will be amazed.

Here's a question that might have been asked before, or maybe not...

Since we are all over 50 in this forum, do any of you have a current, high tech, carbon frame, road bike? Or are some of you like me, and keep things simple, C&V, and a little "old school" style?

I'm not acting all funny towards the latest, greatest, Cannondale/Specialized/Cervelo/Trek/whatever flavor/etc... I mean, I have ridden a few in a LBS, and to be honest and with sort of a confession: They scared the $*#& out of me! Way too quick, too snappy and twitchy, and most importantly - I felt like I was going to topple over the handlebars!

Can an older guy actually comfortably ride a race style bike like that? I just know that at 55, 6'0" and 212 lbs, I would be a nervous wreck riding a $5000 CF road bike with all the bells and whistles. It might break in two under my weight! Maybe that was an idiotic statement, maybe not...

I see the "younger crowd" with the high tech road bikes, all decked out in a full kit, and they're out there hauling butt. That's cool... Have a great time, dude... I'll catch up to you eventually...

My main question: Is there anything wrong with keeping things "old school"? I don't see myself parting ways with my C&V '85 Fuji road bike. Granted, yes, it's 31 years old, quad butted steel tubing, downtube shifters, etc... but it is built solid and will just keep on keepin' on.
Old 08-10-16, 12:29 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have a few bikes ....

this is my 'fast' one:

Likes For dim:
Old 08-10-16, 08:38 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I may be lacking understanding of your experience, the people I ride with aren't rude like that. OTOH, when I decide to join a group, I choose to fit in rather than making a statement that I'm above them. I wouldn't ride a Yamaha twin to a Harley club ride and be surprised when someone comments. It may make sense to get a Harley or find a Yamaha club. Maybe there's a jeans riding club you can join or better yet, start it!

One important point: before I turned 15 I learned nobody is really watching me or cares what I'm doing. Perceived slights are usually rooted in self-consciousness.
This was a last minute decision to join in. I was riding home from meeting someone for coffee when I remembered the ride which started nearby so decided I'd just join as I was. Most of the people ride at a relaxed enough pace that I didn't think I'd have a problem keeping up so didn't see a problem. Maybe 'dress up pretend racer' is a bigger bit of these than I'd realized.
Old 08-10-16, 09:55 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Since OP asked about carbon: I own a 2006 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2, is that "modern" enough?
But I also own a 2016 Richard Sachs Signature, which is definitely a "current, high tech" road bike...it's just not made of carbon. Although all the Campy Record bits on it are.
Old 08-10-16, 10:33 AM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here's mine. I've been avoiding this site this week because I found two small cracks in the rear rim and my Bike shop is replacing it for me (under warranty at least), but I'm without a bike until I get it back. Hopefully by early next week.
Likes For doug59:
Old 08-10-16, 10:34 AM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenmag

What a nice looking bike !!
Likes For doug59:
Old 08-10-16, 10:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
There's no school like the old school. But the old school aint the new school.

I ride a 2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Di2 for my "new school" light, fast bike. But it isn't twitchy. It handles great and is very confidence inspiring.

I also ride a Lynskey custom for gravel, rough roads, exploring, and nasty weather. It's not necessarily "old school," but it's made of metal. If that counts.

I figure the older I get, the more I need the "new school" benefits. Why let the youngsters have all the fun?
Old 08-10-16, 06:22 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Thanks... I think old C&V bikes should stay as they are (within reason). That's why I would be tempted to outright buy a brand new modern 2016 model Fuji or (whatever flavor) of road bike, and still never ever part with my old classic '85 Fuji.
Have you test-ridden any of the new Fujis? It sounds like you have some definite ideas about what you like, so maybe you could describe what it is that you expect to experience from a new, carbon bike. Maybe you'll just have to play it by ear, and keep an open mind.
I ride an 89', and love it so, but I test-rode a new Kona that fits me better.., and I found that everything people on these boards say about the importance of fit is true, so I may spring for this Zing.
The only part of the bike that's carbon is the fork, but even with a moderate component package, the bike is great. Keep an open mind.
Are you seriously considering a carbon bike, or are you just interested in the different trains-of-thought?
Old 08-10-16, 06:35 PM
ButchA

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Are you seriously considering a carbon bike, or are you just interested in the different trains-of-thought?
Honest... I'd be leery of the 100% carbon framed bikes. I'd be afraid it would crack, being that I'm (still) 212 lbs. I would be tempted to look at the nice, everyday, alum bikes, with reasonably good components and start there.
Old 08-10-16, 07:12 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Honest... I'd be leery of the 100% carbon framed bikes. I'd be afraid it would crack, being that I'm (still) 212 lbs. I would be tempted to look at the nice, everyday, alum bikes, with reasonably good components and start there.
Well.., I have yet to be impressed by carbon (and its price).
If I had 5,000 to shell out, I'd go for either Ti or 853 frame, like something from Spectrum or Co-Motion.., and no brifters or disc brakes!
Old 08-10-16, 10:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I ride with a guy who is over 250 lbs.

Frames are not an issue, but he does a need rear wheel with a lot of spokes...
Old 08-11-16, 05:46 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

This.

I'm now down to 225 from a high of about 260. I rode my Tomasso chinese carbon for 10 seasons with no issues.

I have no questions about carbon handling the weight. I would not purchase a frame designed as extra light, but anything else is designed well enough to handle heavier riders.

It really is the wheels. I pondered a new Fuji Altamira 2 Di2 on sale at Colorado. The wheels are Ksyrium SLS, 18 spoke front, 20 rear and I know I would destroy these wheels. And as Colorado was unwilling to swap for a set of less expensive but custom build ups, I passed on this. As far as I'm concerned and until the day I see my weight go to 185, I'm sticking with hand built wheels with 32 spokes, and ANY carbon frame.
Old 08-11-16, 12:29 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caymandiver1
55 yo and ride Cervelo P2 TT and Cinelli Experience road bike. not new but not old either
61 and spend most of my time tucked in on a Xenith T2. The rest of my riding time is divided between 3 other bikes that are all a pleasure to ride in their own way.
Old 08-11-16, 03:29 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

I've boomeranged up and down between 210 (pretty good for me) and 260 throughout my cycling years, and leaning slightly toward the lower end of that now.
And yes, I am famous for destroying rear wheels.
First and only upgrade I generally need to any factory bike build is a better rear wheel (exception is my Volagi.com, which came with bombproof wheels and only needed 1 spoke replaced rather than the whole wheel).
Old 08-11-16, 06:36 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I finally parked my Proctor racing bike (531c) last year after 29 years, and a 91' TVT as well. They were bikes that served well for many miles and I was tired of cruising ebay for replacement Campy parts. Since 2009 I've ridden a Cervelo S2 or a Ridley Helium, the carbon bikes with modern groups took 5+ pounds off the bike and they shift much better. I like the feel of a lighter bike and 11 speed compact drive trains cover the gears that my old touring bike had. Frankly, getting a modern bike was motivation to increase my milage and get out more, and helps to keep up on the club rides.
Old 08-12-16, 03:00 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
hello
while i am 54, my first ever road bike is a giant defy, not a carbon but modern. i love it. the great thing about hobbies is it's about what the individual likes, loves and wants no wrong answer. my brother is 51 and rides a giant carbon bike and if i keep it up i'll probably get one some day to. inside my head i'm still 18 and take big risk in sport every weekend. i still compete in sports, not bicycles yet maybe one day.
rob
Old 08-12-16, 03:09 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
if you are over 50, you need a Surly Long Haul Trucker with a Gilles berthoud Aravis saddle

no need to add panniers/racks or mudguards etc

this is a bike that you can ride for 12 hours a day .... you won't break any strava records, but it's not too shabby if you want to ride with pace, and it rides like a caddilac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.