Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gas stations and auto repair places: essential. Bike shops: not

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gas stations and auto repair places: essential. Bike shops: not

Old 03-23-20, 08:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Minnesota will likely issue shelter-in-place orders today. Happy I picked up my road bike (also Zwift bike) on Friday.

My LBS had the doors locked, they allowed a few people in shop at a time and cleaned everything touched after each visitor. I paid for my repairs over the phone, they met me at the door and handed off the bike without contact. When I got home, the bike got a bleach wipe down and bar tape got Lysol spray. I feel like this is overkill, but at this time too little is know about COVID-19 and it's ability to survive on surfaces.

I sent an email to our Governor to consider bike shops as essential during this lock-down. We should all contact our elected officials. I'm nervously waiting to see what happens here later today.
Old 03-23-20, 08:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
Bike shops are designated as essential in NYC, too. They are selling twice as many bikes as normal and are very busy. Also bike delivery services are hiring.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-23-20, 10:10 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I ordered my wife's new bike 2 weeks ago, and had plans to pick it up and get a fitting on Saturday the 21st. when the gov came on the radio and asked all of California to shelter in place, I figured it would have to wait for a while. I got a voice mail on Friday asking if we were still planning on the pick up on Saturday. so I called in the morning, and said we would be there around noon (since just after opening is traditionally the busiest time on Saturdays in my [dated] experience). the shop owner spent 2 hours fitting her (as part of the new bike purchase, he routinely does a full fitting). If any one is in the general south of the bay area in California, I would highly recommend Off The Chain bikes in Hollister CA. I wish we lived closer to them...

Any ways afterwards we went to a "roadhouse" we like near there, and the wife popped in to see if they were open, and she came out and said take out only. so to help support small business we went in, and ordered lunch to go, and a couple of tap beers to go as well.

On Sunday, it was supposed to be cool and rainy, and I was organizing the garage, when I noticed I was sweating, and the sun was shining. I dropped everything, ran in , and told my wife, "it is nice out, lets get out there".

On our bike ride, we saw more people in this little town out and about, walking etc. than I have ever seen on a weekend. It was nice to see the community get out. On the flip side, on one short bike path, there has been a tent behind a wall to shelter from the wind, for months. This is now 5 or 6, with 2 or more on the other side of the path. It makes me sad that so many people live so close to the edge in this great country.

Last edited by mgopack42; 03-23-20 at 10:49 AM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-23-20, 03:21 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
"....all with no human contact"

Are you delirious??? A lot of the process may be automated but there are still many unknown fingerprints and body fluids that find their way to your package, both inside and out....and not just from the shipping process.

Keep that spray bottle of alcohol, Lysol(tm), hand sanitzer, etc. near by to spray outside before you even handle it, and inside before you play with the contents.

Be smart. Be safe. Stay healthy......cheers....

Originally Posted by tkamd73
I feel for my local bike shops, However, the gross over reaction is temporary, it’s all coming back, worst case a couple of months. There are online bike shops, you can get tubes, tools, and even a book, they still have those I think, to learn how to fix it yourself. Even though I tend to avoid, them, Amazon has all the same stuff, click of a button, all with no human contact.
Tim
Old 03-23-20, 03:33 PM
stephr1

Don't believe in god, in the typical sense.

However, I've always believed the universe (cosmic forces, call it what you will) has a very warped sense of humor. We mere mortals just haven't figured out the punchline, yet, so we have no idea if we should be laughing or not....

Be smart. Be safe. Stay healthy....

Originally Posted by stardognine
My thinking is, this is God’s way of telling corporate America to wake up, and make businesses have adequate public bathrooms. And plenty of them. It’s pointless to tell people to wash their hands with soap often, when there’s no place to do it. 🙄

Growing up in the 60s, I can remember when every place of business was required to have bathrooms available, at least to customers, if not the general public. What happened? This country is growing, but our government can’t keep up. 🙁
Likes For stephr1:
Old 03-23-20, 04:27 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
"....all with no human contact"

Are you delirious??? A lot of the process may be automated but there are still many unknown fingerprints and body fluids that find their way to your package, both inside and out....and not just from the shipping process.

Keep that spray bottle of alcohol, Lysol(tm), hand sanitzer, etc. near by to spray outside before you even handle it, and inside before you play with the contents.

Ah no, and quite sober for the moment. However, if I was as paranoid as you, assuming your post wasn’t sarcasm, in which case I found it very entertaining, I’d be making sure all handguns and sedatives were far out of reach, so as not to take myself out, before the virus inevitably gets me. Just turn off the TV, and go to the CDC website once a day, that should dial down your paranoia a notch or two.
Cheers, Tim
Old 03-23-20, 04:42 PM
stephr1

Half sarcasm, half not. However, if it brought a smile to your face, then I've done my work for the day

I don't consider myself paranoid (at least, not delusionally so). Tho, I actually have been spraying the outside of any packages I've received, especially if they originate outside the US or, at least. from an unfamiliar source, just to be a bit on the safe side. Of course, this turns out to be a penny-wise, pound-foolish move for me becuz I have 3 other people living in my household: 1 drives Uber and the other 2 work for Safeway, sometimes in their Starbucks kiosk. I suppose if I were going to take this to its ultimate level, I'd be installing an automated Lysol/alchol/sanitizer shower at the entrance to my front door. Hmmmm...now that I've said it out loud, need to go work on those plans....

As for calming down...nah, plan to get out on a few bike rides this week....

Cheers...Steph
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Ah no, and quite sober for the moment. However, if I was as paranoid as you, assuming your post wasn’t sarcasm, in which case I found it very entertaining, I’d be making sure all handguns and sedatives were far out of reach, so as not to take myself out, before the virus inevitably gets me. Just turn off the TV, and go to the CDC website once a day, that should dial down your paranoia a notch or two.
Cheers, Tim
Old 03-23-20, 06:24 PM
kartracer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugie
Long drive from Portland. Community Cycle Center is our big co-op, and they're shut down right now.
Contact Washco Bikes in Hillsboro, I’m not sure if they will be making retail sales but I think you might be able to make an arrangement. Service will be accepting bike for repair. From my understanding we will write up the work order at the door and give it back the same way. It could be possible to do tubes, tires, essential parts the same way. I’m not so sure right now.
Old 03-24-20, 04:21 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
UPS put out a bulletin that said the packages are safe. That was false. I am tooling right now a company that is making ventilators. I am receiving pkgs. from suppliers and spraying each box with disinfectant all sides of the cube and letting it sit in quarantine for at least an hour before touching with my hands . Overkill? Maybe, I'd rather be safe. I am still riding my bike, not as much and only in areas less populated which is tricky in Southern California. The really nice bike paths that we have are far too crowded for me. It seems there are those that have not taken this seriously. Riding along the coast has always been a delight here , but this weekend on Saturday the sun peeked out and the beach was a zoo! Cyclists in groups folks on the beach with kids and just like a summer day. I reported to local news agencies and the County Parks Dept. , we'll see....
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-24-20, 08:36 AM
stephr1

Here's an article that came out abt 6 days ago that might be of interest......

This is how long COVID-19 can live airborne

Be smart., be safe, stay healthy......cheers....
Likes For stephr1:
Old 03-24-20, 09:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Universal Cycles in Portland is open for business. Their planned move to Beaverton has been pushed out till May "there was more they had to do to the building before moving" I was told on the phone. I ordered up bulk patch kits and an 8 oz tub of cement. I've got a bunch of tubes to repair, and if this thing lasts a long while, I'll be the neighborhood repair guy, since our house is right next to a well used MUP.
Old 03-24-20, 01:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
I am far from a germophobe. I share drinks with people. But it's the appropriate time to act like a neurotic germophobe. Wiping things down is the order of the day. Soap may be all you need. I've read that it's better at killing viruses than anti-bacterial stuff, though I am not an expert.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-20, 05:03 PM
kartracer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I am far from a germophobe. I share drinks with people. But it's the appropriate time to act like a neurotic germophobe. Wiping things down is the order of the day. Soap may be all you need. I've read that it's better at killing viruses than anti-bacterial stuff, though I am not an expert.

I’m a firm believer of cover your coughs and sneezes and Wash Yer Hands You Filthy Animals! Some parenting still needed as I see kids walking around coughing and sneezing into the air and a friend of ours boy has to be told to wash his hands. I just don’t get it.
Old 03-24-20, 06:35 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
We've actually sold a fair number of bikes by phone.
Awesome!

I remember buying almost everything that way, before the internet.
Old 04-01-20, 07:55 AM
stephr1

I know this thread has gone a bit cold and this may be a bit askew from the thread topic, but thought folks might find this interesting. A very recent study performed by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation — an independent research center based at the University of Washington - provides projections on patterns of coronvirus cases on a state-by-state basis.

The 1st link is a PDF version of the actual study with an abstract and methodology on how the study was accomplished.

https://www.healthdata.org/sites/defa...03252020_4.pdf

This 2nd link is an interactive page that can show you expected peaks and patterns specific to your state.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

This last link is to the article that mentions the study and, more importantly, does a fact check on the original sources for articles that mention the study.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-chec...212347121.html

Old 04-01-20, 12:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
here in santa clara county (san jose, silicon valley) bike shops are considered essential as Bicycle repair and supply shops;

shops are not open for sales browsing, but you can pick up a bike ordered online