Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Are you still bike riding during coronavirus? What are options for people?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-23-20, 11:39 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm curious what some of you cyclists, commuters, bike tourist is doing during these current times in our society where things haven't been so fortunate for people. Are you still going for rides? Are you escaping your city and riding in the outdoors? What if you live in a major city and still want to get miles in are you doing it indoors? I'm very curious on how we can help others continue to lead a healthy life and promote cycling more as an outlet for healthy and mental health during these times. It's a great way to blow of steam? I've been leaving NYC and heading for the mountains on solo rides and back home. I've been feeling great. Curious what others are doing as well.

Also, what are your thoughts on bicycle shops remaining open for repairs and service? Do you think this is a good idea?
Old 03-23-20, 12:06 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride View Post
Hi everyone, I'm curious what some of you cyclists, commuters, bike tourist is doing during these current times in our society where things haven't been so fortunate for people. Are you still going for rides? Are you escaping your city and riding in the outdoors? What if you live in a major city and still want to get miles in are you doing it indoors? I'm very curious on how we can help others continue to lead a healthy life and promote cycling more as an outlet for healthy and mental health during these times. It's a great way to blow of steam? I've been leaving NYC and heading for the mountains on solo rides and back home. I've been feeling great. Curious what others are doing as well.

Also, what are your thoughts on bicycle shops remaining open for repairs and service? Do you think this is a good idea?
I see no reason to not cycle frequently. I've always been more of a solo cyclist anyway and cycling in groups should be avoided but improving your health with exercise has always been a great idea. I've become a bike flipper in the last couple of years and usually have four or more bikes ready for sale. In the last couple of weeks all my bikes have sold as people want to get out and the few miles around their homes is very limiting. Most of the bikes have gone to inexperienced cyclists getting out there again after years and years of dormancy. With YouTube videos helping people maintain their own bikes and specialized tools being available through the mail, I see a big resurgence in bipedal locomotion. Perhaps bike shops could open for individual requests as needed. I'm not sure it falls under the category of emergency services but in certain cases it could be.
Anyway with my lack of inventory I can finally do a little maintenance/upgrading on my own bike.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 03-23-20, 12:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 412 Posts
Riding alone, away from populous spots, local to my neighborhood, and slowing it down going downhill. I ate it bad in a race 3 weeks back, so no need to superman over the bars again with this mess going on.

So, I'm separated and reducing injury risks.

I think folks should keep going out, IF they can control themselves by following guidelines to stay away from folks and take more caution for injury.
Old 03-23-20, 12:18 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
I hope to stay healthy and ride when the temperatures get warmer. I think the streets will be quiet, and I'm 3/4 mile from a network of bike/waling trails which will be open. I fear the paths will be crowded though.
Old 03-23-20, 12:39 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Verenti Technique, Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Had probably my last club ride for a few months(?) on Saturday - very low key and we sat outside a cafe that did takeaway coffee and we faithfully kept to the two metre seperation guidlines at the cafe.

Two solo rides today - one for leisure and one to ride to work and empty my locker after being laid off from a department store that is closing "until further notice".
Old 03-23-20, 12:51 PM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I do laps in a church parking lot. They cancelled services so the lot is all mine!
Likes For morgothaod:
Old 03-23-20, 12:54 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 339 Posts
I usually ride alone, so yes.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-23-20, 12:54 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 76 Posts
Just outside one of the "hot zones" - NYC.
Yes, still going on (solo) rides out of doors. This is in line with Gov. Cuomo's "PAUSE" order, #6 : "Individuals should limit outdoor recreational activities to non-contact and avoid activities where they come in close contact with other people". I would not classify solo rides on the roads as "com(ing) in close contact with other people".
So far, nothing has been issued limiting solo bike rides. The closest is Jersey City's mayor telling everyone to "stay the he!! inside". I'm not sure what legal force this, um, direction, has.
On Saturday, I may have had someone shout to me from an approaching care "Go home", but, as always, the imprecations shouted by motorists are generally unintelligible, so I can't be sure.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-23-20, 12:57 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 170 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm curious what some of you cyclists, commuters, bike tourist is doing during these current times in our society where things haven't been so fortunate for people. Are you still going for rides? Are you escaping your city and riding in the outdoors? What if you live in a major city and still want to get miles in are you doing it indoors? Also, what are your thoughts on bicycle shops remaining open for repairs and service? Do you think this is a good idea?
I'm riding outdoors, with exercise specifically exempt from the San Francisco Bay Area shelter in place order provided we stay at least six feet from other people.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-23-20, 01:11 PM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My LBS has sent out an email for repairs message first then your bike can be brought to the door and an employee will take it.
To shop you can make an appointment or come ring a bell and you will be brought in in turn when limited numbers allow.
When your repairs are finished you'll be notified and on agreed time it will be waiting for you outside. I'm sure they will keep an eye until you show.
Likes For WarrenR:
Old 03-23-20, 01:14 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts
When not at work, yes. As mentioned by others in this thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-pandemic.html
Old 03-23-20, 01:17 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Yep. I ride alone, so social distancing is just part of my ride anyways.

Last edited by friday1970; 03-24-20 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 03-23-20, 01:24 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 221 Posts
Stay at home order issued this morning, but cycling alone is allowed. I am worried, though, that our police officers may not actually read the actual order itself and may try to pull some of us over. The fine is $1250 and a posssible 30 days in jail. Would hate to have to sort out a poice officer's mistake from the jail...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-23-20, 01:40 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 110 Posts
Still riding solo. Italy & Spain banned all riding, presumably to eliminate the possibility of an injury wasting valuable medical resources.

While I can't be certain it will never happen, I've never had a bike incident requiring hospital care so the probability is reasonably low.
Old 03-23-20, 01:59 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 65 Posts
Yes, riding outdoors. Club rides are canceled. Rode with just a small group (3 of us) yesterday, so easy to not get too bunched up together. Stayed on streets and off the MUPs, car traffic is way down, but people out walking, dogs, kids on bikes, etc. are way up on the MUPs.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 03-23-20, 02:39 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
In the strictest of orders from California, exercise bike rides are still acceptable as well as walking with the same social distance rules:

"Biking is OK since it maintains social distancing," Andy Lynch, a spokesperson for San Francisco Mayor London Breed's office, said. "You can do it for exercise or essential needs. But it's the same policy for other outdoor activities. Yes, people should exercise for mental and physical health, but they should maintain social distance of at least six feet from others and not do it in a group. You should wash your hands after the activity."

Lynch added that if you go on a bike ride with another person, it should be someone you're self-quarantining with at home. If it's a person outside your household, you should maintain a distance of six feet.
Old 03-23-20, 03:28 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 82 Posts
I'm actually riding more since they shut the gym down which I attended 3 days/week. So now I ride 5-6 days a week and throw in a hiking on the off days to break things up a bit (although it doesn't come close to matching the enjoyment or conditioning I get from riding). Living in the middle of nowhere and riding solo also it is very easy to social distance since I see very few other riders and most of them are going the opposite direction on the county roads. The hiking trails are in much higher use although it is still easy to maintain a very safe distance from fellow hikers. But since I've overdone it a bit and worn through the skin on a couple of areas on my feet I think I'll just cycle for the next 7-10 days until the skin grows back. Perfect time of the year to ride. Nice temps and the wind usually doesn't get bad until the afternoons.
Old 03-23-20, 03:31 PM
DJJonnyT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Central Illinois the state has closed all non-essential businesses and recreational riding outdoors is allowed, but of course it is recommended to keep a safe social distance. Auto traffic is WAY down here in the capital city of Springfield so when warm enough I'm riding outdoor, otherwise like today I'll be on my Wahoo Kickr doing some session on Sufferfest.
Old 03-23-20, 03:45 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
With all the gyms closed, cycling is about the only joy we could afford now.
Likes For vol:
Old 03-23-20, 04:07 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Hiawatha 3sp | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 161 Posts
NYC here also, still commuting by bike when weather permits to 116 St from 32 St every day. I was told to work from home but still have to visit sites 3 blocks from the office, so I still go in the office every day.

On the weekends, I still ride as usual; it’s a good time to ride in the city if you have to. There is very little traffic and people, just watch out for people in dodgy neighborhoods, a large percentage of the people outside are mentally ill.

Bike shops should remain open for repairs IMO, most shops have spray alcohol, and delivery guys need their bikes serviced.
Old 03-23-20, 04:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Riding alone, away from populous spots, local to my neighborhood, and slowing it down going downhill.
Pretty much the same here.

I'm working on some new routes - on yesterday's ride, I discovered that places I thought would be dead ended up having quite a few people congregating. I'll avoid them in the future.
Old 03-23-20, 04:29 PM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 500 Posts
I ride solo and avoid all bike paths since they are very crowded.

I see not risk in riding the streets other than getting hit by a car.
Old 03-23-20, 04:36 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I run a few errands, Basically, my mileage is down from 50 miles per week to maybe 5. I miss my commute.
Old 03-23-20, 05:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
pfft.. details details
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-23-20, 05:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I ride solo and avoid all bike paths since they are very crowded.

With so many places closed or people working from home, you'd expect motor vehicle traffic to be low and much safer.
Likes For Daniel4:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.