Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rans V-Rex

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Rans V-Rex

Old 05-25-20, 01:38 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
On adjusting the tilt stem: The tilt is really there to aid getting in and out, not to get the bars in your lap while riding. Your elbows should be in your ribs. It's pretty common for people to adjust the bars too close to their torso, which compromises turning ability. I try to put the bars as far away from me as I can before they start hitting my knees.
That's exactly the way I now have mine, it's perfect. Over the last few days of early AM riding, I am witnessing the power of the recumbent, I tucked my arms in, and head down, and had my first 30 MPH run going downhill. Watching those digital numbers climb like that on a bicycle is crazy. I also had a chance to converge on some upright riders in the park, in way better shape than me, overtake and gap them significantly. All this on a 21 year old machine. The V-Rex has been a great trainer, I'm contemplating a P-38.
Old 06-01-20, 02:57 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
That's exactly the way I now have mine, it's perfect. Over the last few days of early AM riding, I am witnessing the power of the recumbent, I tucked my arms in, and head down, and had my first 30 MPH run going downhill. Watching those digital numbers climb like that on a bicycle is crazy. I also had a chance to converge on some upright riders in the park, in way better shape than me, overtake and gap them significantly. All this on a 21 year old machine. The V-Rex has been a great trainer, I'm contemplating a P-38.
Indeed, that is one of the more fun aspects of bents. I was following a guy on an upright down one of the hills here (where I regularly cruise at 40-45 mph for about 2 miles), I was coasting, he was pedalling,and I was gaining on him.

I don't have any uprights any more, but I wish I did just to do a downhill run on my 'fast hill' here.

Recumbent: spin out about 48 mph, coasting to 54 mph. It's about 1/4 mile at the steepest section.
Motorcycle (CBR600RR): Clutch in and coast from about 50 mph. Coasting to 54 mph...same as the bent.
Velomobile: spin out at about 48 again. Coast to 66 mph!
Old 06-03-20, 03:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Not even tandems can keep up with my lowracers on downhills. But velos are a whole different class of vehicle!