Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Tagging system does not appear to be working

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 10:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts

I've tagged a few friends in threads recently; since then, one reported that he hadn't been notified.

Since then, I've realized that most of the tagging I've done as of recent feels as if it didn't happen - most of the fellows I tag are pretty quick to chime in, like a post, or give some indication that "Kilroy was here." Pretty sure they haven't turned it off either.

Likewise, I just ran across myself tagged and was never notified.

I thought I'd mention it so it can be double-checked.

-Kurt

Old 07-21-20, 10:01 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
I'm going to tag you in this post in the next one. You should receive only one notification, however. This is because of a unique, counter-intuitive functionality of user mentions vs. user-tagging.

cudak888
Old 07-21-20, 10:05 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
When you begin typing a username, you get a list pop-up to select a username. If you actually select a username from the list, that username doesn't get the mention. But if you fully type out the username, they do. @cudak888 for instance.

This is something I've brought up to our main tech team, but I do not know when it will be fixed, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-20, 12:38 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
@IBJoel, the problem with the hand-key "workaround" is that it doesn't work for people with spaces in their user names. That is, for a user named "Ignatz Schwinn", hand-keying @Ignatz schwinn does not produce a mention tag. I can't imagine any forum software AI that would be intelligent enough to pull off such a thing. Of course, the root cause of this is the idea of allowing spaces in user names in the first place, but that genie will never go back in the bottle.