Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Giant Halfway owners to verify something

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-21-20, 07:46 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts

We have a Giant Halfway that the hinge lock comes undone while riding. Of course, this is unacceptable. The one Giant dealer we visited was clueless about the bike. Upon inspection, it appears there is supposed to be a screw or bolt in the frame feature that hinge lock grasps. Attached is a photo with the feature circled.

I'm hoping that a Halfway owner will look on their bike and tell me what they see there.

Thanks much.

Old 07-23-20, 04:27 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Sorry no Halfway, but they cool bikes.

1. The hole is not threaded
2 The clamp and the shaped protrusion have similar shapes (one being male the other female) to maximize contact area.
This makes me think that a screw does not go there.

I suspect that the clamp tension may be adjusted by the nylock lock nut on the end of the spring shaft. But I am not sure.
Suggest you test, but if it doesn't work be sure to return it to its original position
Old 07-23-20, 08:42 PM
honcho

Originally Posted by zebede
Sorry no Halfway, but they cool bikes.

1. The hole is not threaded
2 The clamp and the shaped protrusion have similar shapes (one being male the other female) to maximize contact area.
This makes me think that a screw does not go there.

I suspect that the clamp tension may be adjusted by the nylock lock nut on the end of the spring shaft. But I am not sure.
Suggest you test, but if it doesn't work be sure to return it to its original position
Thank you for your comment but I suspect there's a purpose for that hole and we need a Giant Halfway owner to tell us if there's anything in their bike's locking mechanism.
Old 07-24-20, 06:42 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You might want to read this and see how to do it as this is an original owners manual. Roger
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/37...ay.html#manual
PS there are other sources for this on Google.
Old 07-24-20, 08:11 AM
honcho

Originally Posted by rhenning
You might want to read this and see how to do it as this is an original owners manual. Roger
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/37...ay.html#manual
PS there are other sources for this on Google.
Thank you but we're ahead of you with regard to checking the manual. No help either in the manual you liked to, as our Halfway is the original, not the "new."

After taking another look, the hole in question IS threaded. Will attempt to post more and better photos later.

Really need a response from someone who either owns or has access to or knows someone with a Halfway to take a look..
Old 07-27-20, 04:09 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Don't loose site of the primary objective, that is having a secure hinge clamp.
Its apparent from the photo that there has been no metal to metal contact in the area of the hole since the paint is in good condition.

I would speculate that the area may be for a small piece of cushioning plastic. Dahon uses some HDPE on one there hinge types.

If adjusting the clamp spring tension with nyloc on the spring shaft gives insufficient tension , experiment with cushioning materials in the area of the whole.

I had a halfway but sold it to a friend several years ago, nice bikes
Old 07-29-20, 07:38 AM
honcho

Here are some more pictures that may illustrate the situation better. Then again, hard to capture what is or what is not going on when the clamp is closed.