Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 805 Posts
Nasty Interstate Gas Station Disgusting

The group today needed to pee and get a snack so I stopped at what looked like a decent establishment in a nice town before I hit Interstate 10 to cruise to the park. Down right nasty bathrooms overflowing half the Bubbas and Bubbettes not wearing masks though it’s clearly states that one is required to enter the establishment. I said hell no you would be crazy to buy anything here let’s scram! No one objected it was unanimous and bolted down I 10 at 80 mph yes that’s the speed limit Found a roadside parking area if you were the gender that could stand that is how you went the others just open the doors as a blind and squat. Again no objections The state park was very clean everyone respected what we all have to do to have fun and be safe but not paranoid. Great we have wide open space in Texas. But earlier once I got out of that nasty travel center like thing I took a disinfectant bath right in the parking lot Luckily there was enough food and beverages like Gatorade to make it through a day at the river. The town is not being named to protect the guilty...

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 08-02-20 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Traumatized
Old 08-03-20, 03:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11755 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 1,903 Posts
Many people are gross.
Old 08-03-20, 09:39 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Texas has a bad covid outbreak because what I saw yesterday
Old 08-03-20, 10:04 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 CiŲcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I see the same in Gonzales and Caldwell counties.
Old 08-03-20, 10:20 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by peugeot mongrel View Post
I see the same in Gonzales and Caldwell counties.
I will give Hondo people props Iím surprised how everyone is doing the right thing here. At first I was thinking this area is going to reject the basic guidelines and they didnít. Many younger people shopping for elderly relatives and helping out others in need. So far the cases here though increased have been controlled but itís a small community. Hopefully the people will continue to be safe as possible.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-03-20, 11:32 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8879 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 849 Posts
Hondo, I saw something quite similar... when crossing the country in early March.

This was out west somewhere... don't think it was Texas as I stayed off I20 in Texas to avoid Midland/Odessa area, I was on the way from Ft Worth, after seeing family there.. Might have been near El Paso though, or 100 miles west thereof. Bearing in mind that most other states/stops were like ghost towns... I pulled into this station right off the interstate... and people were just hanging around, eating whatever fast food the place offered and talking up a storm... and again, this was when every other stop felt like the "Twilight Zone." I waited a few minutes, no cars were moving from the pumps I could get into with my trailer rig... so I just hightailed it outta there.

Almost across the highway, and and a slight bit further, was the now familiar ghost town "Twilight Zone" scene of nobody around. I pulled in, gassed up and left... feeling cleaner for not having stayed and pumped at that other station.

I never went into gas station restrooms on my trip. I was hauling an RV trailer and that was my safe zone. RV places would leave the paperwork outside, and the transactions all took place via phone. If it were not for the phone and internet, back in March, the only other human contact I had was seeing the few long haul truckers on the otherwise empty roadways. It was an eerie trip. Only just east of Mobile and in Yuma, did I see any people in large numbers.... and I scooted right through those areas quickly.

Last edited by genec; 08-10-20 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Wrong highway. I was on 180, aviding I20.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-03-20, 12:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

During the week Hondo will feel like the Twilight Zone little to no traffic, not many people moving around. Good time to get groceries and other basics. State parks I can print my pass online so I can enter without going into any offices or buildings. On the road I just stop on go by a tree or something so I can stay out of public restrooms. Pack my own food in an ice chest that saves money anyways.. In west Texas on I10 I have seen many RVs blown over by high winds. Between El Paso and Van Horn the wind is crazy.
Old 08-03-20, 12:16 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 202 Posts
Smart move ... you see a dangerous place to be? Move on and make other plans.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-03-20, 03:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
...once I got out of that nasty travel center like thing I took a disinfectant bath right in the parking lot
you drink any?
Old 08-03-20, 04:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
you drink any?
Sure did the great leader Kim Jong Un said it will cure COVID-19. Pinky The Elephant said it was ok.
Old 08-03-20, 11:46 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I will give Hondo people props I’m surprised how everyone is doing the right thing here. At first I was thinking this area is going to reject the basic guidelines and they didn’t. Many younger people shopping for elderly relatives and helping out others in need. So far the cases here though increased have been controlled but it’s a small community. Hopefully the people will continue to be safe as possible.
I sincerely wish I could say the same for the rural area I live in. Just last Saturday this sand bar party occurred just 50 miles away, and many people around here are wondering why so many of our small towns have had an unusual number of outbreaks recently. Sheesh!!!

Somehow I can't believe that this water is very clean, either.
Old 08-04-20, 12:34 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

They all look young. I thought I was invincible back then. Not enough time on Earth to fully see the consequences of actions. A lesson that took me awhile to learn. I was on a lake at a friend’s lake house and there is a sandbar people will park their boats on congregate, the responsible people call it Covid Island. That lake is 125 miles from Hondo near Austin, Texas. I cruised my boat around Covid Island and explored other areas. One big toilet I know I pee in the lake really no choice.
Old 08-04-20, 07:47 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
They all look young. I thought I was invincible back then. Not enough time on Earth to fully see the consequences of actions. A lesson that took me awhile to learn. I was on a lake at a friendís lake house and there is a sandbar people will park their boats on congregate, the responsible people call it Covid Island. That lake is 125 miles from Hondo near Austin, Texas. I cruised my boat around Covid Island and explored other areas. One big toilet I know I pee in the lake really no choice.
If you're talking about Lake Travis, I actually know the area quite well, for I have several friends who live in Austin and out in Lakeway. I can definitely see some of the same behavior going on there.
Old 08-04-20, 08:31 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Lake Buchanan but all the highland lakes in the Austin area have party congregation areas. Same series of lakes that Lake Travis is on.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-07-20, 12:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11787 Post(s)
Liked 1,084 Times in 839 Posts
I've started carrying bottles with me to fill with yellow liquid as needed during road trips. My "COVID BOTTLES".

Years ago I was walking in Italy. At the end of a foot bridge, people would just walk across the bridge, then let it go from the main path at the end of the bridge. Man that was NASTY.

Since then, I don't mind going outside in low population dispersed areas. But, avoid going in parks, or in places where there are a lot of other people congregating.
Old 08-07-20, 01:02 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 212 Posts
My #2 favorite burrito place is off limits to me now. (#1 was striken from my list long ago, when employees were openly calling the virus a hoax). Employees are fine, hand sanitizer for before and after you sign on the pad (wish they'd do away with that step but anyway), but customers ignore the signage and employees let it happen. I mean it's a sad thing these places have to deal with non believers, but if you can toss 'em for no shirt, you can toss 'em for no mask (or mask with the nose hanging out).

OTOH we found a tertiary burrito place that has an expansive outdoor seating area, under trees, away from the downtown foot traffic, and thus far they're sticking to their guns for masks. Burritos themselves seem decent. I'll sample their torta next; I've not found a west Texas quality Torta since, well, leaving west Texas.

As my buddy Cesar says, I hate people, they suck.
Old 08-07-20, 10:31 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

https://do512.com/p/burritos-in-austin