Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

specialized hub question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

specialized hub question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 10:32 PM
micomico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
specialized hub question

The roubaix 2021 expert shows Swiss DT470 wheels, with a Specialized hub. I heard that Swiss DT is really making the hubs and Specialized puts its name on them. Is this true? Does anyone know, if so, what type of private label hub Swiss DT is using? If not, which company and product is being used by specialized? thanks
Old 08-04-20, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
My 2020 Tarmac has DT Swiss wheels marked R 470db on the rim. The hubs are Axis and what little I could actually find out about them is that the design is patented by Specialized. The rear free hub makes all the noise that you'd expect from some of the DT Swiss free hubs so maybe Specialized collaborated with them on the design and they are made by DT Swiss.

They have not been any issue for the 1100 miles I've had mine, though in that short distance I've never had an issue with any hub. 24 spokes probably means I'll have to get a whole new wheel to get a quieter free hub. But that will be a while yet. I don't coast much.
Old 08-04-20, 11:27 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
They would probably say "powered by dt swiss" or something if they DT swiss internals
Old 08-04-20, 01:33 PM
micomico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
My 2020 Tarmac has DT Swiss wheels marked R 470db on the rim. The hubs are Axis and what little I could actually find out about them is that the design is patented by Specialized. The rear free hub makes all the noise that you'd expect from some of the DT Swiss free hubs so maybe Specialized collaborated with them on the design and they are made by DT Swiss.

They have not been any issue for the 1100 miles I've had mine, though in that short distance I've never had an issue with any hub. 24 spokes probably means I'll have to get a whole new wheel to get a quieter free hub. But that will be a while yet. I don't coast much.
Thanks! I heard from someone who was a Specialized rep that DT Swiss would do some of their hubs but contractually could not show as DT Swiss.